• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Roads of Texas, which is best?

Hadnt thought about those key maps, yes they were th only good thing for navigating houston back in the 90's back when we had to use our brain and remember places. Now it's, "ok google, navigate to ..." will be in big trouble once skynet assumes control.

Hadnt thought about those key maps, yes they were th only good thing for navigating houston back in the 90's back when we had to use our brain and remember places. Now it's, "ok google, navigate to ..." will be in big trouble once skynet assumes control.

Yep!

If gps had access to key map data you could depend on them . They don't have mistakes included in their data .

Theres a new Sheriff in town......
Benchmark now offers a Texas Road & Recreation Atlas.... Nice!
Similar to the Roads O Texas...mabe not quite as big a scale...but good road markings.
These folks make several other atlases for most western states.... & are the same type artwork used by Butler maps & Nat Geographic

On topic, does anyone subscribe to ride Texas? Have been considering it.

T Cat....I have one of those ...uh...less detailed ROT versions....theyre ok....but ..if you want the good stuff ...labelled...you'll do better buying the full size Roads Of Tx or the new Benchmark Road & Rec Atlas

On topic, does anyone subscribe to ride Texas? Have been considering it.

I have for several years - they used to publish 6 times a year when I first subscribed, but a few years ago they went to 4 time per year schedule.

I still think its a good read - but feel it was better before being bought out by Texas Monthly organization - I would suggest picking up a copies for a while from local newsstands before deciding on subscribing.

Another mag to check out is RoadRunner it has a focus on touring across the US & international.

T Cat....I have one of those ...uh...less detailed ROT versions....theyre ok....but ..if you want the good stuff ...labelled...you'll do better buying the full size Roads Of Tx or the new Benchmark Road & Rec Atlas

I have all of the bigger more detailed versions (Roads of Texas, Texas Atlas & Gazetteer, etc) that I use at the house for general planning - but they are a bit cumbersome to take on the bike.

R O T was available in a still well detailed smaller version...at least for a while after Mapsco bought the publishing rights. Dont kno if its still avail or not. I knew several folks who had them.
I keep one of those less detailed ROTs in my car to use in rerouting to bypass traffic situations & finding shortcuts...
But...on the bike....its the full size ROT for me....( I copy pages to use frequently in the mapcase...book for backup in my luggage)

s-l400.jpg
interesting, $23 and spiral bound! Nice find m2m.

Got my Benchmark Tx Rd & Rec Atlas on Friday.... (Shipping was slooooow)
But its nice to have anuther alternative in maps
ecb155d0fdc10fffc75d02c37af0fb08.jpg

Especially so since the folks at Butler Maps have turned their backs on the idea that Texas could use another map for Texas...a Northern Hill Country map. Not to mention that they could also do an East Texas in the Trees map.

Last edited:
Got my Benchmark Tx Rd & Rec Atlas on Friday.... (Shipping was slooooow)
But its nice to have anuther alternative in mapsView attachment 49023
Especially so since the folks at Butler Maps have turned their backs on the idea that Texas could use another map for Texas...a Northern Hill Country map. Not to mention that they could also do an East Texas in the Trees map.
Well...... Ive been using my new Benchmark atlas....&......guess what

Ive found numerous mistakes in regards to FM roads being actually county roads that are unpaved....or county roads shown as paved..which are not.
This past Wed near Whitney I took FM3050 north from TX22. The atlas showed it running all the way to FM934...but..no..it changed to a gravel county road within a few miles.
The atlas does have more public roads shown than the ROT atlas though....
Stay tuned for more.....

Back