• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally, April 9-16, 2016

Technology rocks.I like to use it as an assist.Hard maps and GPS and then when they don't
Agree....ask 3 locals and if two concur...proceed.

You guys are going to have a blast! In early January, three of us rode for a week through Mexico - all on-road. We spent two nights in Jalpan and really enjoyed the area. Have been lurking on the sidelines since before our trip to Mexico. Recent entries/questions about radios prompted me to jump in and share my experience with that technology.

Guess I'm considered a geek. My '05 RT had a Kenwood D700 50 watt ham radio, a CB radio, and an FRS radio all controlled from a single PTT to an Autocom system driving sound to my helmet. On the '13 RT I switched to the Sena system. Used the SMH10 on my helmet and had the bike's radio system output GPS signals and stereo music via the Sena SM10 module to my helmet. Used the Sena SR10 module to collect Valentine V1 radar detector and Kenwood FRS radio signals for transmission to my helmet.

Encountered a lot of ground-loop issues with the SR10 until Sena replaced it with a new one. The Kenwood TK3101 FRS radio was nice in that it had a removable antenna. This enabled me to mount a blade/stealth antenna vertically outside along the rear fender while the unit itself was under the seat. The entire setup was bike-powered. At night I only had to charge the Sena SMH10 on my helmet. Then I sold the RT.

For the GSA, I upgraded to the Sena 20S and bought the Motorola MUR350 Bluetooth FRS radio. After pairing the radio to the Sena 20S, I was able to communicate with my wife who was inside the house on a handheld FRS radio. The radio was mounted on the left mirror stalk because, as mentioned by others, there is no practical, inexpensive remote PTT solution for that radio. Have not tested that radio on a ride but the COFSTA group of riders in North Carolina recommend that radio to their members.

Real life issues with bike-to-bike communication:
* A motorcycle is an extremely hostile environment for radio communication! Lots of signal interference.
* Transmission distance is a function of the power output/antenna efficiency, signal frequency, and terrain.
** Power output/Antenna Efficiency
FRS radios are limited by the FCC to 0.5 watt output. However, most, if not all, FRS radios also cover a number of GMRS channels and seven of those channels are shared. Hand held GMRS radios are permitted to output up to 5 watts, so you can buy the Midland GXT1000 FRS/GMRS radio and transmit up to 5 watts! Blister-pack radios all have rubber-ducky antennas. This means you need to mount the radio as high as you can on your bike. Bluetooth Class 1 radios (Sena 20S) have a power output of 0.1 watts and a maximum range of 100 meters (330 feet).

** Signal frequency:
The lower the signal frequency the longer the transmission range, assuming the same effective power output. However, the lower the signal frequency, the longer the required antenna length. So what are the common frequencies we might see for motorcycle communications?
CB - 27 megaHertz - AM signals - prone to interference.
Ham radio (2 meter) - 150 megaHertz - FM signals - low interference.
FRS/GMRS radio - 462 megaHertz - FM signals - low interference.
Sena (Bluetooth)- 2,400 megaHertz - Frequency hopping spread spectrum - low interference.

** Terrain/Obstructions:
Marketing brochures for FRS/GMRS radios make outlandish claims which are theoretically correct, e.g., 35 mile range - (from one mountain top to the next one!) In the real world, the signal is only good for radio-signal line-of-sight applications. Yet, if there are many metal objects (e.g., cars, trucks) or buildings around, the signal will scatter and can "reach around corners"! Personally experienced good FRS reception within a city from another rider who was at least a block away on a side street - i.e., not visible from where I was located. Sena achieves its 20S range claims by requiring a specific pairing order. That scheme allows signal transmission to approach 2000 meters. However, if two riders in the net switch places, e.g., after a stop, the paired connections may break and leave some riders "out in the cold." So, while the Sena approach offers many advantages, the FRS/GMRS radio provides the most effective bike-to-bike solution because the typical power output is 5x to 50x greater than Bluetooth and is not restricted by pairing.

Hope this helps to answer some of the questions posed by previous posters.

Herman
P.S. Look forward to many pictures and stories about your ventures next April!

You guys are going to have a blast! In early January, three of us rode for a week through Mexico - all on-road... Recent entries/questions about radios prompted me to jump in and share my experience with that technology.....

....Hope this helps to answer some of the questions posed by previous posters.

Herman
Thanks Herman for the good info. I am currently working to sort out IF and HOW I might improve my communication options. I suppose I need to start by sorting out how to use the rather expensive little devices I already own!!

Richard, I am planning on attending March's shake-down ride, and hope to be available at the tech day - I consider myself a darn good motorcycle mechanic and always love helping out when I can.

-Steve

Richard, I am planning on attending March's shake-down ride, and hope to be available at the tech day - I consider myself a darn good motorcycle mechanic and always love helping out when I can.

-Steve

That's awesome. Thanks Steve!

The thing I could use help with at the Tech Day in March is the set up of my suspension. I'll be on my 1200GS and just had Ohlins put on. Every time I hear someone start to talk suspension my head spins, but I would really like to de-mystify this. If someone has suspension set up skills that does not mind working with me I'll bring my bike up with the full trip load with the goal of setting up the suspension correctly. I also plan on doing some self-education in their interim - I've got a Haynes manual that tries its best to explain things.

This'll be a fun ride, put me down for a srong maybe. I just came back from riding Mexico, went to Oaxaca and it was the best 6 days of riding i've ever had. By day 5 i was begging for a straight paved road, lol.

I put together a trip checklist based on this thread and the various linked threads. It is not all encompassing but it covers what I believe I need to have done. Tricepilot and other please feel free to rip this apart.

Hotel Reservations
Mission Studio 6 April 8
Tula - Hotel Meson De Mollinedo April 9
Jalpan - Hotel Mision Jalpan April 9-14
Ciudad Victoria - iStay Hotel April 15
Maps
Download tracks from Richard's files
Get prints from MexicoMaps $75 'Rundown Map Set' 24X34 1.805.687.1011
Dowload GPS Maps for Mexio:
E32 Map
BiciMaps
Communications/Electronics
Rugged Rh-5R
Sena 10s
Sena SR10
Deloreme InReach - Activate for April
Documentation/Paperwork/Insurance
Passport
Minimum $800 in pesos
Bike Insurance: MexAdventure
MedJet Air Evacuation Insruance
Valid Vehicle Registratration Documentation
Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP) valid for 180 days
Make sure to cancel TVIP when exiting Mexico to get deposit back
Visa
Tourist Card - not sure what this is.
Bike/Other Gear
New Battery
New dirt oriented tires
Aux light
Campers headlight
6 foot bicycle cable lock
Disk lock
Air pump
Tire repair kit
That's a good list
I'm going to stay up the night before and throw some **** into a backpack, then drive down on my bike and wing it. Don't sweat the small stuff. Overpacked is underprepared. You can go and have a good trip with almost nothing.
-Steve

That's a good list
I'm going to stay up the night before and throw some **** into a backpack, then drive down on my bike and wing it. Don't sweat the small stuff. Overpacked is underprepared. You can go and have a good trip with almost nothing.
-Steve

Agreed, but just make sure your riding group collectively can handle any basics you didn't cover and you're good. Or just say $%^&# it and bring the most important item, cash!!!

Was it "fail to plan, plan to fail"?
I usually take Steve's approach. But I have learned to pack too few shirts, ball caps, cause I always find something I can't live without while there.
During my last trip I did not know where I was going till the night before when I read about a place.

I'm leaning towards going a bit early & seeing some pyramids or down to Oaxaca & be back @ Jalpan on Sun or Mon.
BTW the peso just hit a record high to the dollar a week or so ago.

but just make sure your riding group collectively can handle any basics you didn't cover......

For some unusual technical problem on the road, like something electrical, this might be understandable. The problem is with "the basics". The cavalier attitude in a planning thread appears sexy, but it's all bravado until there are three guys around the stranded bike, cobbling together even the simplest of tools "Mr. Nonchalant" neglected to pack with proper planning.

For some unusual technical problem on the road, like something electrical, this might be understandable. The problem is with "the basics". The cavalier attitude in a planning thread appears sexy, but it's all bravado until there are three guys around the stranded bike, cobbling together even the simplest of tools "Mr. Nonchalant" neglected to pack with proper planning.

Never fails, you won't have the one tool you need. I recall alpine357 whipping out a box with different size nuts & bolts on Cerro Potosi. I didn't think of that.....
Nice to have an assortment of people & options standing around that bike when needed.
Then Mr. Nonchalant can buy a few beers that eve.?

Anybody know about the parking situation for vehicles left in mission? if we need a place to park, i "may" be able to come up with something if need be. Also, i am coming from georgetown, Anybody want to get together for the ride down?
Later taters,

The hotel manager at the hotel in Mission allowed us to leave trucks and trailers there for the Galeana trip last October. They indicated that as long as the hotel is not at capacity, they will allow us to repeat. Worst case, the airport is just a couple of miles away and there is long term parking there.

i-tgKhRVm-M.jpg

Baofeng options are less expensive. I had trouble hearing with the Baofeng setup I used and the microphone setup left a lot to be desired. It was functional but frustrating at times. The Rugged Radios setup depicted is like listening to bike to bike comm in a concert hall.

It does not use Bluetooth and none of the riders I know of that rode the recon had a Bluetooth capable radio. I could be wrong.

Guys,

I purchased RH5R setup from Rugged Radios but have decided to go with a Sena unit. Which means I am now selling my Rugged Radio setup. I only recently got the Rugged Radio system and have never used it. I installed the headset/speaker in the helmet but when I decided to go with the Sena system I removed the headset prior to ever actually using it.

The purchase price new from Rugged Radios is $268.97 including shipping. Mine is for sale at $190 + shipping (or you can pick it up from me in Austin).

You can find out more about the RH5R system here.

Last edited:
Speaking of radios, I have my Baofeng radio and SR10 mounted and now I need to know how we're going to use them on this trip. I really don't care to become a Ham radio operator, I just want to be able to turn it on, select a channel, and go. Can you tell me what band we'll be using and what a typical frequency would be.

I'd also like to find someone in North Dallas with a similar setup that I can test it out with. Obviously doesn't matter if that person is doing this trip or not.

Just got in the Sena SR10 Bluetooth adapter cable for the RH-5R. I can both Sena 20s and Rugged Radio 5 watt all day long

:thpt:

I believe the Baofeng UV-5R and the Rugged RH-5R are essentially the same radio except the Rugged comes pre-programmed with a lot of useful freqs - you pay extra for that. If you'd rather pay the same price, buy the Baofeng and this software/cable for $50:
https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/default.asp

You then have the same radio and the flexibility to program/edit frequencies to your heart's content.

John (aka AE5X)

I'd also like to find someone in North Dallas with a similar setup that I can test it out with.

This is the best advice. Not just for radios.

NOW is the time to test your inReach/Spot, your radios, your luggage etc.

Pack all of your gear (then put half of it back in the drawer)

Replace the battery now, new tires now.

Then RELAX and forget the planning, you've earned it. Start thinking Mexico beautiful vistas. THAT is why you're putting in all the planning effort.

Speaking of radios, I have my Baofeng radio and SR10 mounted and now I need to know how we're going to use them on this trip. I really don't care to become a Ham radio operator, I just want to be able to turn it on, select a channel, and go. Can you tell me what band we'll be using and what a typical frequency would be.

Paging John Thompson (JT) to the white courtesy phone.

JT is in charge of communications.

Hmmm...now that I think about it I probably should have mentioned to JT that he is in charge of communications. :doh:

Re: Call out to all MotoGP junkies

I will be attending the motoGP and not heading down to Jalpan until Monday morning...Looking for other MotoGP junkies that want to ride together.

Darryl Wills
XR650L
me too, I was considering doing less days on this ride, so when do you want to come back /

Agreed, but just make sure your riding group collectively can handle any basics you didn't cover and you're good. Or just say $%^&# it and bring the most important item, cash!!!
that reminds me of when you and Everett went to monterrey from galeana without tubes...

Paging John Thompson (JT) to the white courtesy phone.

JT is in charge of communications.

Hmmm...now that I think about it I probably should have mentioned to JT that he is in charge of communications. :doh:

We just set up the Baofengs channels 1-16 to the standard FRS/GMRS freqs and usually use FRS 7, no codes.

Attachments

• base.jpg
    base.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 351
Here's a better pic,

Attachments

• BF-F9.jpg
    BF-F9.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 200
Back