• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally, April 9-16, 2016

I was planning on being in mission by 1 or 2pm. Is that early enough to get all the border stuff done? Leaving from Georgetown early am if anyone needs a lift.
later taters

Border office closes at 10. So does the bridge, so be sure you're done by 9:45. If you miss it, worst case, the border opens at 6:00 AM with no traffic into Mex at that time. The group will swing by the border office on the way into mexico so you can wait for the group there.

Important note to first timers: Once you go over the bridge you are in Mexico, but still in the protected border area. Anything in your truck or car has in effect been taken into mexico. A gun, weed, prescription pills, a pocketknife....all will land you in jail. So group up 4 - 5 guys, take a clean empty truck belonging to a priest, and split the $5 bridge toll. And, use the front desk at the hotel to make copies of all your documents. It's free.

Last edited:
As long as the prescription drugs are in their original container with your name on them you're fine.

I am in room 160. Stop by and get your T-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riders meeting at 7:30 in front of office

Wait for me.... Take me with u.... I here at work.... In mercedes....come by .... Pick me up.....oh well next time....Vallan con DIOS mis amigos !!!!

a37b69da3c9f5d67c38a6ed53301cef8.jpg

12f16cb984c76e7775402325217c8aaa.jpg

4 of us crossed the border and went to La Pesca. Nice beach with restaurants . Delicious food. 3.5 hrs to get there. Ate lunch and rode 3.5 more hours to Mante.
Jalpan tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20160409_200805.jpg
    20160409_200805.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 299
Dang...we just had a heck of a day.

Well that mud Rich posted ended my trip in a freak fall. For those who don't like long posts (Andre ;-) ) just skip to the next one.

Texxter (Paco) and I took the same 'dirt' route to Tula. Started dry and dusty but a long way down the road it started to rain and apparently must have rained for some time. The road surface turned to a very slick, sticky, fine dirt mud. We kept pushing on so as to avoid a u-turn to a long drive back to pavement. Our tires looked exactly like Rich's. Just keeping the bike upright was a constant chore. Cornering and go up a grade was slow going.

Texxter had a couple of slow lay-overs but he simply hopped off and picked it up and was back on his way, albeit a bit sweaty. About halfway in my luck ran out and I had one fall going around a corner doing maybe 5 mph. Unfortunately when I stabbed my right foot down the mud caught my right toe and twisted it backwards as the bike fell over on top of it and pinned it to the road facing backwards with my heavy luggage pressed on it. I knew it was jacked immediately but just hoped it wasn't too bad. Hurt like a **** though. I pulled my foot out from the bike and was very thankful nothing was broken or torn. We were in the BOONIES at this point and that would've sucked a lot!

In the end it took us a painful 2 hours to get to blessed pavement again. Even had to go through a closed gate to get through to the other side.

Anyhoo, once we got back to Tula and our hotel the foot got bigger and bluer. Walking was bad. Over that night I decided the trip was over for me and I would head back to Texas on my own in the morning. When I let the guys know Texxter decided he would ride back as well. After several offs and a back Shinko tire that was prematurely disintegrating he felt he was pushing his luck anyway.

Quick shout-out for my riding friend, Paco. We met a couple of few weeks ago through TWT. Decided to drive down and ride together. In that short time he proved himself to be an AWESOME friend and riding buddy. He helped me nagivate the medical side of this with his perfect spanish and never-met-a-stranger attitude. And most importantly he showed up to my hotel with a bag of ice and a six-pack of ice-cold painkillers :-)

Rode to fastest way to Mission yesterday morning, loaded the bikes, and drove straight back to Dallas. Got in 2:30 this morning.

I was very bummed about how this turned out after so much planning and anticipation but Paco gave me a better perspective. Instead of having a great 8 day adventure in Mexico we ended up with an awesome long-weekend in Mexico. I LOVED raw Mexico and I'll be signing up for the next trip I can.

Great to have met so many of you. Please post as much as you can so that I can live vicariously through your experiences.

Ride Safe!

Please excuse all the typos above. :doh:

Unfortunately I can't edit my posts in this thread. I'm sure you'll be able to work out what I meant to say though.:clap:

Please excuse all the typos above. :doh:

Unfortunately I can't edit my posts in this thread. I'm sure you'll be able to work out what I meant to say though.:clap:

Bummer for your get off, glad you made it back, thanks for the write up.

Just curious what tires ?
What boots?.

Alpine Star Toucan boots and new Shinko Trail Master 700 tires.

Don't think the tire would've made that much of a difference. Texxter had a more aggressive tire and it was just as gummed up as mine.

Quick shout-out for my riding friend, Paco. We met a couple of few weeks ago through TWT. Decided to drive down and ride together. In that short time he proved himself to be an AWESOME friend and riding buddy. He helped me nagivate the medical side of this with his perfect spanish and never-met-a-stranger attitude. And most importantly he showed up to my hotel with a bag of ice and a six-pack of ice-cold painkillers :-)

That's very kind of you, Bart!

I'm glad we rode together and we able to help each other. While our trip was short, it was very enjoyable and I have no regrets. By the way, that unpaved rural "camino" to Tula where mud got us was really gorgeous - the views were spectacular and the remoteness of the place added to its beauty. The locals looked at us funny because we had no business being there among cattle, horses, little ranchos, and yes, a ton of innocent looking mud! After that mud the trail was very enjoyable, except for Bart's swollen ankle and pain. While I am not sure I'll do dual sport because the thought of getting hurt, broken down or both in a very remote place got under my skin, I am sure I'll go back to Mexico on two wheels!

Ida been ticked if I'd missed this one. Wish you were here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Rich is not so nice. He says it sucks to be you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Back