• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Salt Lick - Driftwood

OK meat- but the sauce - arrrugh:eek2: ! Wife and I might be the only ones to not like the stuff - seems like treason if you don't like it with folks around here, but it's like the king has no clothes. The sauce is mustard based or something, and is just about inedible. If you want good bbq, and a great ride, head to Llano and Cooper's. Now that is good eatin'.:eat: :clap:

My son and I rode up last weekend - saw bald eagles on the way up from Austin on 1431. Nice curves, nice crowd.

I'm inclined to agree that their sauce is not my favorite, though I don't think it's as bad as that. My favorite BBQ sauce is a little tart, like Stubbs. I'm not a big fan of the sweet ones like Rudy's.

But their pork ribs are second to none.

I love the Salt Lick and Rudy's sauces but I also grew up on Oklahoma BBQ which is a mix of Texas style meat rub/cooking and more of a mix of the Memphis/KC style of sauces. The places that I frequented in OKC all had different types of sauces, so I wasn't locked into just one particular type. I am not a fan of most Texas style sauces, it is the same basic sauce. Cooper's water that they call sauce is about worthless but they do have great meat.

This looks like it's going to be like the "best" oil discussions.:giveup:

Lufkin BBQ has the best rolls!!:clap:

I love the Salt Lick and Rudy's sauces but I also grew up on Oklahoma BBQ which is a mix of Texas style meat rub/cooking and more of a mix of the Memphis/KC style of sauces. The places that I frequented in OKC all had different types of sauces, so I wasn't locked into just one particular type. I am not a fan of most Texas style sauces, it is the same basic sauce. Cooper's water that they call sauce is about worthless but they do have great meat.

Good point on Cooper's sauce - I just drank it along with the BBQ. If I got enough of it, it was good.

And Dannyroth, you are so right. I'm originally from KC, and love everything about BBQ - cookin' it eatin' it and talkin' it.

I grew up on BBQ from a little pit in Plattsburg, MO. Tillman's Inn - I've been looking for something close to what they did to pork ribs for about 30 years. Lordy it was fine. Maybe I could just taste things better back then.

Back