• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The sky is falling! Mextrek 5, 2016

All 27 of us who made it are having a great, fun, safe trip. High winds and rain hit just as the last 4 riders made it in last night from the Mcallen ride in. Today, Friday, trail conditions were excellent. Almost no dust. Few puddles here and there. JT, Gina, and Ken (jt, spiritatbay, tgtumbleweed) were here holding down the fort since the weekend here in Galeana and the rode again today. The Hotel Magdelena has every room just at capacity as 12 rooms are under renovation and no one ever, ever, actually writes down a reservation. Its just a goodwill gesture to make a reservation, obviously. I'm having a blast riding Mexico with my son, good friends from twtex, a group of first timers, and a big handful of friends (Justine, Everett, Mark, Joey) I convinced to come out of the blue. Mexico does not disappoint. They are all smiles.

One time in Creel at the hotel they couldn't find our reservations in their book. I looked at the page and pointed to "4 gringos". They nodded and checked us in. It was good because they were full and it was literally freezing outside.

It was an awesome time! We are still in Galeana. Leaving in the morning for Real De Catorce. We will definitely be back next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Mextrek5 trip was everything I hoped for and more. Thanks Randy for leading our ride Saturday. And thanks Jcat for getting me home. Had a great time!

randypower

Forum Supporter
Thank you Peter for organizing this MexTrek. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with so many great routes to choose from. I was lucky to meet and ride with some awesome people in a beautiful remote area. Among them, Eric and Greg whom I met and rode with early on, then Justin, Bob, Alan, Chad, and Rick. Thanks to all for the friendships and memories on cobblestone, rock, mud, dirt, more mud, and mystery paths. Best of all were the opportunities to meet and spend some time with remarkable friendly locals on the road. Maybe for MexTrek 6 we can return to them for a new visit.

Cheers everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Vinny

Forum Supporter
It was an awesome time! We are still in Galeana. Leaving in the morning for Real De Catorce. We will definitely be back next year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Great idea. Have fun with the tunnel:doh:
Be safe and put some updates of the trip here please.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter

We met these "bad hombres" down there in dangerous Mexico.

After escaping their clutches, we Enjoyed some great riding. And great weather and views and food and camaraderie and...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can say without question that I will be on this trip again in the future. Thank you Peter for organizing this great trip. Thank you so much to the great new friends that I met along the way. Randy, I thoroughly appreciated the conversation we shared in English and I think we all really appreciated the many conversations you conducted in espanol! Greg, such a pleasure to spend time with you and thank you for the ride back to Houston! Justin, Bob, Alan, Rick and Chad, I couldn't have asked for a more positive group to get stuck in the mud with! And to everyone else that I had the pleasure of sharing stories, great food and cervezas with, thank you all so much.

More than anything I was amazed that such a magical place existed so close to the boring flat paved roads of Houston. The interaction with the locals was an experience I won't soon forget. Count me in for next year!

randypower

Forum Supporter
Does anyone from our Saturday ride (Rick, Chad, Eric, Greg, Bob, Justin, Alan) have pictures from the mud miles west of La Purísima toward Pablillo? Those were tough and dummy here didn't take a single picture in that stretch.

Last edited:

JcatDRZ

Forum Supporter
Does anyone from our Saturday ride (Rick, Chad, Eric, Greg, Bob, Justin, Alan) have pictures from the mud miles west of La Purísima toward Pablillo? Those were tough and dummy here didn't take a single picture in that stretch.
I didn't grab any Randy.. I was too focused on riding! I think most of us were!

randypower

Forum Supporter
Or fearless leader Shadman imparting instructions at a stop inside Mexico
IMG_20161020_151611.jpg
IMG_20161020_151403.jpg

My steed...
IMG_20161020_145148.jpg
... which Eric noticed got a broken plate on the way up to Cerro El Potosí late Friday:
IMG_20161021_173702.jpg

GPS track from Friday with Greg and Eric. Color spectrum indicates elevation:
2016-10-21 mextrek gps track.jpg

Good meet. Here are a few of my pics. I rode most of the trip solo, so not much other than scenery type pictures

Nuevo Laredo Port of Entry

The first couple of days I rode solo. The following are pictures from Potrero Redondo & General Zaragoza dirt loops:

Allende from Potrero Redondo

More Potrero Redondo

Somewhere on General Zaragoza loop:

Taking JT's back door up to the top of Cerro Potosi

"On Top"

Galena City Workers taking care of "the tree"

Andre and I south of Galeana:

Last edited:
Man, I really really want to.... Would you answer the phone or reply to any of my voice mail messages if I try this once again ? ;-)
Sure, the week you tried I was in the middle of my move to Phoenix, sorry. Next year, take it to the forum. I have probably spent 50 hours on the phone / text/ email for this little trip alone.

Day 2: Woke up late. Had a late breakfast. "Someone" wasted time rejetting a carb, the same carb that wasn't right in 2015, LOL. Don't judge me by the company I keep. Or you can judge a man by his friends. Whatever. We hit the road to Cienega Del Toro nad a CHiPS photo shoot:

Up into the clouds after the ridiculously fun blacktop road out of Rayones heading towards Casillas:

Words can't describe the magnitude of this place. I'm amazed year after year.

Always a good trip made great when my son Sid comes along. Thanks for all the help Sid!!!

Everybody take pics!

It WAS an AMAZING day in the clouds.

High flat land above Cienega Del Toro:

Stevie la Barba on the sweet new wheelie machine

Thomas on the crf250l right before our 1 mile coaster race

Just between the two green knobs is our crew, and just beyond them Cienega del Toro

Have a Mexican coke and a smile. Bob, Thomas, Steven, and Sid left to right. (Justin was inside spending pesos)

Everett and Justine kneeling:

Ended up at the sinkhole west of town. Skipped the Cerro Potosi (again) due to sore bums.

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

After a good day's ride it was off to "Upstairs and Andre's" for some beers!!

Last edited:
Day 3 was an even later start. More jetting work to be done by someone. Thankfully that bike was 100% dialed in and the adventure continued. We went south on the trusty main route through Buena Vista.

Note to Richard: Buena Vista route is no longer government maintained and is little more that a goat path. Last year it was a bit dicey. This year is was marginally passable for KLR650's. Our little group tore that trail up like Christmas wrappings with a huge smile.

But first, a bit of Galeana:

On the main square, proximo to the hotel is the church. Quite nice.

We named this What the HECK Jesus. Today he was asking, "WHY, O WHY. WHY ISN'T YOUR JETTING RIGHT YET? What the HECK"

Don't make em like they used to

Found our group on the square getting tacos

These are the Mexicans to beware of. They give you gassy farts.

If you ever need a CAR WAHSSSSSS

After a satisfying large breakfast at " " (someone help me out) it was back to the hotel to check repair status and get geared up. We are always the last to leave town

But never in such a hurry as to not screw around a bit more

Or check on tinder "matches" or whatever

We rode south so hard and so long I forgot about pictures for a couple of hours. So much fun

Everett's jetting was perfect to tackle "Horrible Hill" a couple or 10 times.

Tired and happy crew

Here, ride this river. Then a crash. And a repair. And we Vaminosed Agimos

I crashed in Mexico. Last April. On a streetbike. Going kinda fast. My dirt bike luck is much better, with only one minor tip over in Mexico in 2010. So, my bike stayed upright, and dirty, and out of the water. Couple of others didn't, LOL

Gassed up in Iturbide from a Gerber baby formula bottle of Magna 87 proof gasolina and headed back to town for more beers, tequila, and grub. 125 miles felt great.

Last edited:
There is a nice big rift of elevation change running through downtown Galeana. About 150 stairs hike up, just behind the hotel, and you have a great Panoramic view of the town. I ended up at the top of the hill on my bike last year. Always wondered if it was rideable.

Definitely, definitely rideable!

Day 4 was the official end of the trip. A group of us decided an extra day to check out a recommended area near Monterrey was in order. The ride to Laguna De Sanchez through Rayones and Casillas doesn't disappoint. But first, morning music hour with the garden gnome

And mexican mini truck envy

BIG letters are the new hot thing in rural Mexico.

Headed north to Casillas we stopped for snacks. A local informed us the hole in the mountain we were looking at is called the Ventana (window) and it is a 2 hour hike. I'm interested

Nice easy road to Casillas. Fast and smooth. 10 miles of new concrete and signage everywhere says this road will be paved by 2017 Mextrek 6. Shame!

past Casillas we hit the big climb up. Rocky, then all shale, and finally a bit red clay and muddy. Great conditions, varied skills needed, lots of grunting, fun, and a couple tip overs. but the views....ahhhh!

New to dirt riders Chad and brother Rik on KLR's were always in good spirits and having a great time

Justine, on her first dual sport adventure (she grew up on a ttr125), gives a big one finger salute

Always cool to have brothers riding together

Our ragtag, capable, fun group

Whodathunk we'd be best friends through bikes?

Oh, happy friends:

Rental cabins. Hmmmm....

This was the last photo. After this, rain for a couple of hours put us on treacherously slippery red clay on a huge descent. Scary, fun, pucker pucker.

Spit out in the canyon that photos can never capture. 2000 feet deep. Breathtaking.

After safely hitting concrete we had a rider go down, just barely tag the back of a parked car. Destroyed the clutch lever. We grabbed the clutch and perchoff my bike to get her going and I rode clutchless across the Monterrey metroplex through heavy traffic. It was an adventure in itself. Obviously, I didn't die. We ended up in the climbing town of Hidalgo, NW of Monterrey, basically on the outskirts. Sweet hotel with international clientele, but we were two weeks early for climbing season and the place was under renovation.

Slaves to our a/c power

Typical flowers and guestroom

It really is beautiful

Day 5: we basically rode to lunch, and then to the border, and trucked it home. Lunch in Monterrey was great, cheap, and in the heart of Antugua Monterrey.

And finally, bringing it home safe at Sunset!!!

Vinny

Forum Supporter
Great update of the whole trip. Glad you guys had a good time w/o mishaps.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
That was awesome, Ken! Like reliving the whole week!

Thanks, i know it took time and effort to whittle it down to a mangeable chunk.

Little late, but here are a few from Real de Catorce and Parras de la Fuente before heading over to Galeana a 2nd time this trip.

Nr Rayones

Wildman Nick with Real de Catorce in the background

Little sweetie I saw at the store while making a beer run. Man she was excited to get a handful of candy.

Puente de Jesus and the old chapel in Real14

The cathedral in Real14

I met Cujo in Parras de la Fuente

Cathedral in Parras de la Fuente

Huichol Indian in Real14

Inside the old cathedral in Real de Catorce

New Serape and a new friend in Real14

The Ogario Tunnel 1.5 miles long into Real de Catorce

Markets and Cathedral tower in Real de Catorce

Met up with Pancho Villa and another Amigo for a smoke

My hotel was 3 days of Bliss & Corona in Real de Catorce

After I download my GoPro I'll finish up....
Great to meet all the newbies to Galeana. It was a sweet trip as usual.....
Any idea where the shirts are ?

✌???

Yes Sir Zeke,
Oggario from the market & the rd. N. From Real14. We were never able to find a way out & locals tell us there is no way out to the North.
I'll get ya some GP of the West rte.