• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

Weird, I have the same mods (stage 2 Hotcam, 440 overbore, Mikuni Pumper) and I guaranty, with cash on the barrel head, after sitting for a month it'll start on the 1st kick. Hot or cold. Now, who wants to bet me $? :trust: :lol2:

Rman's secret weapon : [emoji6]

bd0f8d9a7897f514c813d1ccd0ad00df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only a tool. I use it ONLY to see if I've got a fuel issue. IF I get it to start with that, I immediately shut it off.

Simple. If you have a non-starting bike/car/truck you can give it a small squirt of starting fluid. If it then starts right away, you know your ignition and compression are working (at least to some degree) and that you are not getting a proper fuel charge.

You absolutely do NOT want to use it on a diesel unless you really know what you are doing. It is very volatile and low flashpoint, so it can ignite from glow plugs without being on the proper stroke and cause catastrophic engine damage.

Last edited:
Meaning, don't let it run, for any amount of time, on ether.

Say you go to kick your bike and nothing happens. Well. If you're not interested in removing your seat, gas tank, etc to allow you to pull the plug and check of spark, and to hook up a compression or leak down tester, BUT still wanna see what your problem is, ether is a tool.

We need fuel, compression, and spark for our scooters to work.

If you have a no-start condition, there's a good chance its a fueling issue. Quick way to check--- spray some ether. If it starts right up, you have a fueling issue, most likely. Even if it tries to start, there's a very good chance your problem is with fueling.....

But here's why we don't let it run for long-- ether, aka starting fluid is very volitale. It can light of, and facilitate a combustion event, in circstances where the engine may not normally be able to on its own.

It's important to understand that you'll never FIX anything with ether, unless your problem is one like say.... Priming the fuel line/filter after winter on a riding lawn mower where the fuel has a long way to travel before it gets to the carb. Mine was having a heck of a time getting the fuel filter filled up with fuel, as it sits before the fuel pump. I used an external fuel can plumbed directly to the carb to finally get the engine running, so there would be enough RPM to turn the fuel pump fast enough to prime the system. Ether would've worked too.

Here's another issue. The Base mean effective pressure of a charge of ether lighting off is SUPER HIGH. It's not uncommon for it to collapse the ring lands on a cast piston. I've got a picture of it, if anyone wants to see.

Pro-tip: brake cleaner seems to be much less explosive but will still give a start or sputter :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ether and brake cleaner are solvents and will take the lubricating film off the cylinder wall causing excessive wear and can seize a engine.

If you have to use something, use WD40, it has some lubricating properties.

There is some ethers on the market that contain a lubricant.

That's why we say to immediately shut down the motor.

They even have an ether for 2 strokes. (Perhaps the one you're talking about)

Meaning, don't let it run, for any amount of time, on ether.

Say you go to kick your bike and nothing happens. Well. If you're not interested in removing your seat, gas tank, etc to allow you to pull the plug and check of spark, and to hook up a compression or leak down tester, BUT still wanna see what your problem is, ether is a tool.

We need fuel, compression, and spark for our scooters to work.

If you have a no-start condition, there's a good chance its a fueling issue. Quick way to check--- spray some ether. If it starts right up, you have a fueling issue, most likely. Even if it tries to start, there's a very good chance your problem is with fueling.....

But here's why we don't let it run for long-- ether, aka starting fluid is very volitale. It can light of, and facilitate a combustion event, in circstances where the engine may not normally be able to on its own.

It's important to understand that you'll never FIX anything with ether, unless your problem is one like say.... Priming the fuel line/filter after winter on a riding lawn mower where the fuel has a long way to travel before it gets to the carb. Mine was having a heck of a time getting the fuel filter filled up with fuel, as it sits before the fuel pump. I used an external fuel can plumbed directly to the carb to finally get the engine running, so there would be enough RPM to turn the fuel pump fast enough to prime the system. Ether would've worked too.

Here's another issue. The Base mean effective pressure of a charge of ether lighting off is SUPER HIGH. It's not uncommon for it to collapse the ring lands on a cast piston. I've got a picture of it, if anyone wants to see.
:thumb:

Selling my 'Whole Welded' pannier rack. I ordered it from Whole Welded in Ukraine with the intention of taking my XR4 to Central America but have since changed my focus. I put the rack on while it is in my shop, then took it off. Never been used. I paid $244 shipped for it and im open to offers. If i have to ship figure $40-$50 to ship it as its large. I will be in Big Bend in the next month or two and could deliver anywhere between Fort Worth and Terlingua.

I also have a brand new unused set of soft luggage i bought for it as well. These are not specific to XR4 so could fit on anything. They are the Givi 25L waterproof saddlebags and Givi 20L waterproof tail bag.

Attachments

• rack 1.jpg
    rack 1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 261
  • rack 2.jpg
    rack 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 243
  • rack 3.jpg
    rack 3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 258
Hello, Was reading your XR400 thread. I have a 97 XR250R I got from a TWT member about 10 years ago. The bike ran fine last time I rode it 8 years ago. I cleaned what looked like oil soaked sawdust out of the carb. Not sure about the petcock being trash and I have a ebay coil that I can install. What I really need is someone with some experience and willingness to check it out. I know the bike has a leaky valve but right now I just want it to run again then maybe take on a rebuild like you did. So would you be willing to look at it?

You betcha!

When you say leaky valve, are we talking about the fuel petcock, or an actual engine valve?

Last edited:
Mines ready to go. I'm getting an fcr40 sorted fornit now, but the stock one is currently running like a dream

Back