• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The VFD Fundraiser Ride To Eat Thread

Just so folks know, by direct route Fayetteville is only 20 miles form Columbus.

A sixty mile shortcut with six crossings of Cummins Creek is a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

We'll be serving fish and 'sters from 1100 to 1300 hrs. Hope a few of ya'll get the chance to drop by.

I've been detailed to work the drive-thru line. After you've eaten, please stop by the drive thru line to say hello.

Hopefully, we won't have a call drop during serving... its happened a couple of times in the past ten years.

Thanks to Meriden for posting in TWT.

Best regards,

NFE

Anybody interested in meeting at Orsaks for coffee and a snack around 9ish, then meandering around on back roads for a while trying to get lost on the way to the KC hall? :rider:

I'm working on a shortcut. ;-)

Gonna try and get out of the house here in short order and meet you guys at Orsaks about 9:30. No coffee or donuts for me, I'll be ready to ride upon arrival. Dont wait for me though. I need to break away in Columbus before you hit the VFD anyway. Just wanted to get in on the pre ride if possible.

_

Well scratch that as something came up and cant leave the house in time. Catch you guys next time, ride safe!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

My plans changed again so unless I get sidetracked again I might see you guys in Columbus after all. Mainly just want to see foxy Roxie. haha

_

Made it. Lots of unattended bikes. Drive-thru and regular lines are both very very long. Going to Jack in the Box instead, haha Frontage road backed way up, good thing I jumped straight off I-10 for shortcut.

2014-02-23%2012.04.46_zpsauqa578l.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Had a great time meeting everyone in Columbus, SB and I made our way all the way to Ezzell to meet Encorejoe :clap: Really had a good time riding today. Had a little over 200 miles and SB is still at my house and has to go home as I am typing this :eek2:

Well, that was fun..... And it's always a pleasure to meet some new TWT folks.

Here's the Columbus Volunteer Fire Department operations. Sorry 'bout the pics - iPhone all the way baby :photo:

Open 210 gallons of shucked oysters at 7 pounds per gallon. (1,470 pounds of shucked oysters that is)
i-dsqtMTJ-L.jpg

Let 'em drain in the cages to get all the juices off (as much as possible) and take a bit of time to look for and remove any remaining shells which might be present.
i-JGVCKQH-L.jpg

Mix up a 50/50 ratio of yellow and white corn meal and a generous dose of black pepper to make the coating. Salt not required as they are salty to begin with.
i-gKSjFTf-L.jpg

Drop those little gems in the coating and mix them all up until they are totally covered
i-57tQgrV-L.jpg

The serious end of business. 300*F vegetable oil in these baby's. And three baskets at a time...
i-FmfwKnn-L.jpg

i-tnmgHgH-L.jpg

In they go for 3-5 minutes but it's not a timed thing. Rather, a look of golden goodness according to the cooks
i-BhNtLWV-L.jpg

And lookie-lookie what comes out.....
i-Dg8fxwx-L.jpg

In addition to the oysters, they were doing fish filets and fries. Here's what you got for your donation. I counted IN EXCESS of 60 oysters in my box. That's FIVE DOZEN PLUS. I ate 'em all but the plus part. Burp. :eat:
i-nXqJxCg-L.jpg

And after all that food, what's one to do? Stick a fork in it and call it done!
i-DQPPLfp-L.jpg

It was a forking good time, though honestly I used my fingers to eat everything 'cept the slaw. Great ride there with perfect temps and good company.

Met up with more TWTers at the KC Hall and even got to say hi to a straggler before rushing out to other plans. Did JMZ and Roxie ever hook up?

Though I did eat some of the oysters I still prefer fish and am glad they had both to offer. The firefighters were working hard trying to keep up with the crowds.

Looking forward to more VFD feeds this year and discovering more shortcuts on the way to them.

It was a forking good time, though honestly I used my fingers to eat everything 'cept the slaw. Great ride there with perfect temps and good company.

Met up with more TWTers at the KC Hall and even got to say hi to a straggler before rushing out to other plans. Did JMZ and Roxie ever hook up?

Though I did eat some of the oysters I still prefer fish and am glad they had both to offer. The firefighters were working hard trying to keep up with the crowds.

Looking forward to more VFD feeds this year and discovering more shortcuts on the way to them.

never met her :lol2:

Best VFD ride yet! :clap: PICS!!! :photo: Lots of pics so I might as well make a ride report out of it. As always, MotoTex was able to turn a 20 mile trip from Fayetteville to Columbus into a 70 mile "shortcut" through the boondocks. :rider: Met up with MT, 4jranch and Lynne at 9.

CIMG2736_zpscd1abf95.jpg

Willow Springs Bridge.

CIMG2737_zps7f92ba99.jpg

Made it to Columbus by 11:15, just in time, the line was already long but 10 mins after we got there it was 4 times as long. :eek2:

CIMG2747_zpsb595ac05.jpg

Several others showed up later but here's the preliminary group. F. to B., L. to R. - M38A1 ("picture taker":lol2: JK!), Spirit At Bay, Road Thing and Mrs thing, MT, Lynne, me :wave: and 4j.

CIMG2741_zps6ae57b02.jpg

CIMG2739_zps5838c2dc.jpg

Gotta hand it to the Columbus VFD, these folks have got this oyster and fish stuff down. Outstanding!! :eat: Everything was cooked perfectly. Sorry, no pic of No False Enthusiasm but he was part of the cooking process so hats off and 3 cheers!! :party: :party: :party: It was almost as good as my dept.'s fried chicken. :nana: :lol2:

CIMG2745_zpsd57e2e08.jpg

CIMG2744_zps63536da2.jpg

The twins, JMZ and SilverBullet. From the back you can't tell 'em apart. :rofl: :rofl:

CIMG2749_zps341f29c4.jpg

Spirit in full adventure mode.

CIMG2751_zpsc2aeb281.jpg

JMZ's XR all prepped for Big Bend.

CIMG2752_zps65316df3.jpg

This kid was cool, why was he cool you ask? He sat on everyone's bike but kept saying " I want to sit on the red one!" :lol2:

CIMG2750_zpsbb84e270.jpg

From there JMZ and SB headed south, we headed north.

CIMG2757_zps07963064.jpg

CIMG2753_zps16b61cdf.jpg

CIMG2760_zpsbbe8468c.jpg

Spirit's 1st water crossing! :clap: :flip: :clap: 4j giving her pointers. I've officially passed the torch, 3 years ago 4j and I were at this exact same spot and I was giving him pointers on his 1st water crossing! :rofl:

CIMG2761_zps3118e0cf.jpg

"Follow me".

CIMG2762_zps59f8581d.jpg

Success! :clap: :clap:

CIMG2763_zpsfc888f60.jpg

Now you can't keep 4j or Lynne out of the water. :rider:

CIMG2765_zpsb800b41b.jpg

CIMG2766_zps4f4d338d.jpg

Birds of a feather....:sun:

CIMG2767_zps2b1c7098.jpg

Moving on...

CIMG2769_zps815c3eaf.jpg

Swung by Many Thunders place to say hi. :wave:

CIMG2771_zpsfe7c8ae8.jpg

Lynne and 4j, won't be long and they'll be riding the harescramble circuit. :flip:

CIMG2772_zps44efff43.jpg

CIMG2773_zps2ef0ede1.jpg

Yet another "water crossing". Kinda shallow today but good for a splash or two.

CIMG2775_zps912cfd31.jpg

Spirit hit it like it was 2nd nature. :clap:

CIMG2776_zps0cae9a73.jpg

Seriously though, that crossing ^^ is quite challenging during the rainy season in an off-drought year. Trust me! :eek2:

Onward...

CIMG2777_zpsdd8c6527.jpg

CIMG2778_zpsac4be82b.jpg

CIMG2779_zpsfc807f54.jpg

From there 4J and Lynne headed home.

CIMG2780_zps2bf80e65.jpg

Spirit and I rode on to The Road Thing's Lair, always a riot! :clap: The Grand Tour Bus. :trust:

CIMG2783_zps9f9c64a6.jpg

Heading our separate ways, great ride, awesome eats, Spring Weather! :sun:

CIMG2784_zps5bdf8d75.jpg

The season is upon us, seeya at the next VFD ride. :rider:

R

Last edited:
Great Ride report, Rman! Good job SAB on the water crossings! :clap:
And, how do you like the K60 rear, Richard? :ponder:

Thanks to all who showed up. Hope everyone enjoyed a good meal and a great day of riding.

Great photos: Pretty girls, little kids, good food, good friends, and low water crossings.

We do this every year on the last Sunday in February... this is our major fund raiser and, thanks to folk like ya'll, we had another successful day.

Look forward to seeing all and more next year.

NFE

It was a good day, Tater...

Great food, good folks nice weather and motorcycles!

Thanks to all who showed up. Hope everyone enjoyed a good meal and a great day of riding.

Great photos: Pretty girls, little kids, good food, good friends, and low water crossings.

We do this every year on the last Sunday in February... this is our major fund raiser and, thanks to folk like ya'll, we had another successful day.

Look forward to seeing all and more next year.

NFE
Tit for tat NFE :trust:, I expect to see you and the ADV crowd at my fundraiser. :lol2: 3rd Sunday in July. :eat:

Rman should know best that SB and I look like twins from behind cause when we ride together he is always behind. LOL :)

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Looks like a Great Time was had by all. I so wish I had made it but I'm glad y'all had a good time! I hope to get to the next TWT gathering. I hope the VFD made some profit from all of that great lookin seafood! Thanks for all of the pictures Rman. See you soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The oysters were superb. and the serving portions were huge! Highly recommend folks put this on their calendar for next year.

Can't thank Jeff, Lynne and Richard enough for letting me tag along and slowing them down. It was pretty obvious I haven't done much (hardly any at all, really) gravel. I enjoyed it very much... when i got home that night, i sat down on the couch and closed my eyes....and saw gravel road passing before my eyes. What does that mean, I wonder. Felt kinda like when you've got your sea legs and then you get off the boat...

R-man, awesome pix! Thanks for everything.

Was a great weekend, starting Saturday with the full house at Jay Cafe in Needville, camping at SFA state park, then Sunday's Columbus VFD feast, then gravel roads, seeing Many Thunder's place and Road Thing's digs.... topped off by relaxing solo ride thru pretty country to get home right at dark.

Thanks, TWT!

Back