• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wave AZ....Road from US 89 to Wirepass Parking

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
We are planning our annual (skipped for Covid) trip for October 2021. We would like to hike to The Wave in AZ (between Page and Kanab). The issue getting to the trailhead is the road from US 89 south to the parking lot. It is packed dirt. There are stories that it is graded and others that it is not graded. Not sure who is right.

We would like to ride the 8 miles in and 8 miles out, but don't want to do so unless we can safely ride the DL650s. We would remove all of the luggage and leave it in Page while we made the trek.

Has anyone on the forum ridden that road? If so, how was the experience? Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.

If it's the road I think you are talking about, we just rode it in April. Really smooth. Yes, it was graded. The DL650s should be fine. In fact, I had to TOW an F800 out of there with my Africa Twin. Easy.

Funny thing: That is the north end of the AZBDR. We rode in dust for 6 days, and on the last 200 yards, a WATER TRUCK passed us going southbound:doh:.
Screen-Shot-2021-05-22-at-4.19.jpg

You're good. Three of us rode it on an FZ-1, VFR 850 and a FZ09. We were loaded with camping gear and camped at the Wire Pass trailhead. Be sure to take a short length of rope to lower your pack. There's a chock rock with about an 8' drop within the first mile of the hike, while you are still in Wire Pass. If you're in reasonable shape you should be able to climb back up without climbing equipment.

The climb out. My buddies didn't think they could get out so they stayed behind to shower me with boulders.
wire pass 1.jpg

They didn't even offer a hand, but did catch my camera when I pitched it up to them.
wire pass2.jpg

How did you get a permit to the Wave?

Did you hike The Wave? If you did you're lucky the BLM folks didn't catch you. There's a hefty fine for not having a permit.

You have to obtain a permit online at Reservation.Gov via a lottery. Or get the permit in person in Kanab.

We entered the lottery for October 3, 4, 5....did not get a permit. So we're skipping southern Utah and heading to Grand Teton.

No, I didn't. I just hiked Wire Pass until it intersected Buckskin Gulch. I know how difficult it is to get a permit for the Wave. That's why I asked how you got the permit.

Ok. We're evaluating what we are going to do now.

Back