• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
the%20wild%20bunch1-M.jpg

Six riders from Texas take their dirt bikes and cameras on roads and paths rarely ridden much less heard of by gringos. Some crashes, some getting lost, some breakdowns overshadowed by the most epic scenery the mountains and deserts between the U.S. border at McAllen/Reynosa and near Mexico City have to offer!

We're just beginning to get home and and will be starting to process the pics this weekend.

Series Premier of The Wild Bunch in Mexico starting soon!

For the record of my personal history, this will go down as one of the best rides in Mexico I've ever done.

:coffee:
Impatiently waiting!

The Wild Bunch - (left to right) Chuck, Scott, JT, Bob, Milton, and Richard

P5250119-L.jpg

Hilarious, Milton already has a cast on :doh: the first picture.
(At least, I hope it's hilarious)

Last edited:
Well...technically it's only a splint...but, yes, it's a good point.

8:00 pm 10 km from the Aquismon cut-off on Mexico Hwy 85 it began to sprinkle, then rain. no glasses or goggles I'm holding my left hand to my face peering thru the fingers. I'm thinking,.... one of Dan Rosen's group went down on this same stretch of treacherous hwy, under similar conditions "and here I am".
The bike slips out from under me and I'm thinking "and here I go". The bike does the slo-mo sliding spin amid sparks up ahead. Just like in the videos my gloved hands rest on the pavement wait for the slide to end. None of my clothes were torn. Bike intact. I got up and rode into Aquismon. Not long after the elbow and forearm swell up with one heck is a hematoma. It's huge.
Free clinic in town splinted it and schedule me for and X-ray in the morning. When I show up the X-ray tech is on vacation, I must go to Ciudad Valles about an hour away.
well screw that I'm having breakfast. I'm thinking it would hurt more if if were broke but I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
The next day I caught the bike on fire in the hotel parking lot.
Muy emocionante.

Last edited:
Grab your Mexico map and draw an imaginary box around the mountains south of Ciudad Victoria. Be sure your box includes the cities of Ciudad Mante, Queretaro, and Tamazunchale. Within that area are some of the finest paved motorcycling paved roads in all of Mexico. In particular, Highways 120, 85, and 105 are widely claimed to be amongst Mexico’s Top 10 paved roads. Roads so good they are worth taking a trip there just to ride them. Ride reports from those who have ridden them will confirm just how spectacular they really are.

political-map-of-Mexico-cropped-L.jpg

However, Google search all you want and you will find almost no ride reports on the dirt roads in your imaginary box. Despite the number of adventure riders that have ridden the pavement there, few appear to have ridden much, if any, of the dirt. What’s up with that? My Mexican topographic maps of that area show it to be full of dirt roads tortuously twisting and snaking through the mountains.

Sample%20photo-L.jpg

Surely those dirt roads must rival the pavement in the area – they are in the same mountains so how could they not? Heck, look at the map - it shows the dirt roads to be both twistier and more undulating than the paved roads. This area was just begging to be explored so in late May 2015 a team of six of us set out to do just that. This is our story.

P5250119-L.jpg

We call ourselves the Wild Bunch, but really we are just a bunch of aging guys who never outgrew a childhood love of riding dirt bikes or the desire for adventure. Here's the team:

JT - riding a street legal DR-Z400E. Everybody on the team had a particular responsibility. JT was the primary navigator for the team.
P5230006-L.jpg

Stingray Scott - riding a KTM 690. Scott was the Muscle - nobody wants to screw with the giant.
P5230007-L.jpg

Tricepilot Bob - riding a KTM 500. Bob was the plucky comic relief (a beer to the first person who correctly identifies the reference).
P5230003-L.jpg

CeeBee Chuck - riding a Honda XR650R. Chuck was the head mechanic. By the way, the Honda is for sale...
P5270384-L.jpg

Milton - riding a DR-Z400s. Milton is the World's Foremost Adventure Dentist and served as the Wild Card. When Milton's around you don't know what might happen (which is a good thing if you are seeking adventure).
P1010015-L.jpg

Me - riding an adventurized Honda XR650L. I organized this shindig and appointed myself the head photographer. (that's me on the right)
MexTrek-308-L.jpg

Here's a picture of Big Red (my modified XR650L), packed and ready to go. (It's okay to say it, no one will laugh at you -"Wow, she's a beauty".) :sun:
_1110788_89_90_91_92-L.jpg

Let's get the party started - it's time for some adventure.

Last edited:
Back