• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Wild Bunch In The Remote Backcountry of Mexico's Sierra Gorda

Re: Day 3 - Good roads

According to Wikipedia, "Las Pozas ("the Pools"), near the village of Xilitla, San Luis Potosí, more than 2,000 feet (610 m) above sea level, in a subtropical rainforest in the mountains of Mexico, is a garden created by James. It includes more than 80 acres of natural waterfalls and pools interlaced with towering Surrealist sculptures in concrete. Massive sculptures up to four stories tall punctuate the site. The many trails throughout the garden site are composed of steps, ramps, bridges and narrow, winding walkways that traverse the valley walls. Construction of Las Pozas cost more than $5 million."
The story I heard was that Ed James was contemporaries and buddies with Salvador Dali, and tried to re-create in architecture what Dali had done with oil and canvas.

Ed actually met a cement dealer in Jalpan who also had access to some rockin' peyote. You can guess the rest of the story.

Edward James' Las Pozas

The Pools

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20085-L.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this capture. I used a Canon G15 (handheld) at the main lower pool.

I've been here quite a few times, so this time I didn't even bother going into the main part (concrete fantasy land) of the site. I just was content with walking along the "left" side of the site, along the river falls, and the pools.

Be sure to check it out:

fondo xilitla

Last edited:
The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20094-L.jpg

Our "Geddy Lee" of The Wild Bunch, Scott Stingray, bass player exquisite, in front of the main falls area at Las Pozas. A bunch of you might have been to this same spot, deep in the Huasteca, off Mx 120 and just south of Aquismón.

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20091-L.jpg

Copy this plan. Your move is to get into position actually on the falls by climbing behind the first flume. Then, your buds get into the pool for the money shot.

We had no such balls.

:lol3

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20101-L.jpg

I have a similar shot as Rich does.

This little kid climbed the jungle wall up to a rock precipice, way above the walkway, and leaped with (minimal) trepidation into the water. Off all people, her dad egged her on. It was quite the jump, but the slick, slime covered rocks and algae encrusted steps should have been the warning sign.

Fun to think this happens every day at Las Pozas.

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20078-L.jpg

Junípero Serra

serra-M.jpg

"Serra was beatified by Pope John Paul II on September 25, 1988 and Pope Francis expects to canonize him in September 2015 during his first visit to the United States"

Franciscan Missions in the Sierra Gorda of Querétaro

"The five missions are: Santiago de Jalpan and Nuestra Señora de la Luz de Tancoyol in the municipality of Jalpan, Santa María del Agua de Landa and San Francisco del Valle de Tilaco in Landa, and San Miguel Concá in Arroyo Seco."

If you're going to ride the region, you will need to understand and appreciate Father Junípero Serra and make it a point to add to your bucket list all five missions in the area. I still have a couple to check off.

Then discover why this man from Mallorca, Spain, came to Mexico, then to California, and why he is to be canonized by the Pope himself this year.

junipero-M.jpg

damper-M.jpg

All the good looking riders (that includes me since I'm the author of this post) on this adventure had this piece of kit.

You DO NOT want to be without this piece of kit in sand, silt, rocks, baby heads, and in deep(ish) water crossings.

I don't care if you fail to keep your HVAC system up and running for your pregnant wife and 2 year old twins, you MUST get a Scotts Damper.

Looking for "The Hole" ???

Hole-L.jpg

Here it is:

21°35'57.0"N 99°06'09.0"W
21.599167, -99.102500[/COLOR]

LINK

LINK

We stopped at the roadside parking area, but didn't have time to make the hike since we were exploring roads in the area.

Milton, Jimmex, and others have been to the site and made the hike down AND BACK UP to the parking area.

No worries, Trail Boss and I are going back in April 2016, and little does he know, we're not just going to the location, we're rappelling to the bottom with Stuntman Jeff.

RIMG0071-L.jpg

So close (CeeBee and Trail Boss at the parking area of Sotano) yet so far. We had roads to do that day. But we're gong back. Richard promised me.

That was Richard's "I love you" message to his fan base

CeeBee is saying "If we're not jumping into the Sotano, let's get on out of here..."

:lol2:

E32%20two-M.jpg

While lurking around the E32 mapset website, Cartografía GPS, I stumbled upon this little gem of a link:

E32%20three-M.jpg

Find it on their landing page (link above) and click on it. It leads to a long and intriguing list of free track downloads of different, and interesting, routes in Mexico. Some of these can be combined, either simply while out riding (riding successive, separate .gpx tracked files in succession) or via actually combining these tracks in Basecamp.

Here's what a typical thumbnail preview looks like.

E32%20one-M.jpg

I've decided to give the KTM 500 the name Caballo Naranjo

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20122-L.jpg

My 2015 alpine white GSA is called.....guess it.....Caballo Blanco

Then discover why this man from Mallorca, Spain, came to Mexico, then to California, and why he is to be canonized by the Pope himself this year.

junipero-M.jpg

Keep in mind that this dude walked from Veracruz to Mexico City. And from the Sierra Gorda, when he was sent to California? He WALKED.

In the mid-1700s a Franciscan friar named Junípero Serra built 5 missions in the area, one of which is in Jalpan. According to Wikipedia, " The mission in Jalpan was constructed between 1751 and 1758

Wow ! I can smell a 5 missions trail trip in the future. That building is beautiful. The others must be amazing too.

Day 4 - It keeps getting better

On Tuesday morning, day 4, Milton's arm was doing a little better. He could bend the elbow, the arm didn't hurt too bad and actually seemed okay without wearing the splint. So the decision was he would ride with us for a ways and see how the arm held up. Unfortunately, Milton's bike wasn't happy and refused to co-operate. The large puddle of gasoline beneath the bike alerted us that there was a problem.
P5260202-XL.jpg

In a remarkable show of DRZ Solidarity, JT's DRZ join in the protest with it's own puddle of gasoline.
P5260203-X2.jpg

Hmmm, the two DRZs in the group leaking fuel from their carbs? What are the odds? The guys theorized that it was aged O rings in both their gas tank petcocks and carburetor float bowls and the lack of Ethanol in Mexican gasoline that was at the heart of this mystery. As I understand it, ethanol makes o rings swell more than pure gasoline. Neither JT or Milton had new O rings in their carbs and, perhaps, they weren't as pliable as new ones. So, with no ethanol in the fuel, the o rings in both the petcocks and the carburetors shrunk and lack of pliability prevented them from then being able to maintain a tight seal. The petcock o ring allowed gas to leak down from the gas tank into the carb. The float seal in the carb was not able to seal and stop the the flow of fuel and, viola, gas was running out of the carb overflow tube and, in Milton's case, filling up his cylinder with fuel and hydro-locking it (as it did back in Tula).

The short term solution was to pinch the fuel line from the gas tank to the carb whenever the bike wasn't running. JT had a couple of hemostats in his tool bag for just such a use.

Unfortunately, Milton's bike was hydro-locked again. It wasn't a hard problem to solve but it would take time. Milton had the tools and know-how to solve the problem so the decision was made for the group to head out and for Milton to catch up to us later in the day once his bike was working again.

We suited up, waved good-bye to Milton, and rode out of town, unaware that fate had different plans for us and that we wouldn't see Milton again for three days.

Our plan for the day was to ride west to a small town called Agua Zarca and then search for a dirt road that would take us to the town of Pisaflores. The dirt road we were looking for was one of those roads that we weren't entirely sure actually existed. It was shown on two of our maps but not shown on the other two. Of course, there was only one way to find out if it actually existed so off we went.

Last edited:
I've decided to give the KTM 500 the name Caballo Naranjo

I thought common to always use female names when naming our bikes and cars. Shouldn't that then be the feminine Naranja? You need to wear chaps to straddle a male bike. Lol

Village%20People%20Cowboy%2036238.jpg

_

Back