• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

there will come a day, but not this day...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Took the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR out this morning. Wow, what a perfect day, bit windy, but not a lot of traffic. Went NW and here and there, enough to need to stop and refill tank as the bike only has a 120 mile range (very thirsty triple). Heck, I am qualified for Social security, been riding since 1967. Over New Years, a family member asked me if I was still riding. Yes, but I told her, there will come a day when I know its time to quit. Her husband, my BIL died riding about14 months ago-- bizarre accident. Both his sons in San Antonio quit riding, and sold their bikes. So, lots of pressure for me to quit also.

Nope, not this day. Riding sometimes takes me in the "zone": one with the bike, the engine singing, the whole sensual as can be experience. Riders know of what I speak. Non riders are clueless.

I am grateful the ability to still ride safely. Yes, I am pretty cautious at times, and respect the throttle. On the way home a young man on a very pretty, very red Ducati Panigale trailed me, and at a light we chatted a bit. He wanted to ride with me, and I told him I had been riding all morning (true) and was going home (pretty much). I prefer riding alone most of the time, that's a fact.

How to know when to quit? I will just know. Might be vision, or reflexes, or more likely a growing intuition. But not this day.

We ALL know someone who has died in a car wreck, yet we still drive cars........ Bikes are the same IMHO.
And know more that have died from eating poorly, smoking, drinking, and not taking care of themselves, but people keep doing that also.
I see more patients in the ER for poor personal health decisions that they make in a day than motorcycle accidents in a year.

It is a risk I take riding, and do what I can to mitigate those risks (wear gear, don't drink, don't speed, pay attention, train), but I know those risks are still there.
All it takes is one inattentive driver to pull in front of me, but I choose not to live my life worrying about that.

All,

Took the MV Agusta Brutale 800 Dragster RR out this morning. Wow, what a perfect day, bit windy, but not a lot of traffic. Went NW and here and there, enough to need to stop and refill tank as the bike only has a 120 mile range (very thirsty triple). Heck, I am qualified for Social security, been riding since 1967. Over New Years, a family member asked me if I was still riding. Yes, but I told her, there will come a day when I know its time to quit. Her husband, my BIL died riding about14 months ago-- bizarre accident. Both his sons in San Antonio quit riding, and sold their bikes. So, lots of pressure for me to quit also.

Nope, not this day. Riding sometimes takes me in the "zone": one with the bike, the engine singing, the whole sensual as can be experience. Riders know of what I speak. Non riders are clueless.

I am grateful the ability to still ride safely. Yes, I am pretty cautious at times, and respect the throttle. On the way home a young man on a very pretty, very red Ducati Panigale trailed me, and at a light we chatted a bit. He wanted to ride with me, and I told him I had been riding all morning (true) and was going home (pretty much). I prefer riding alone most of the time, that's a fact.

How to know when to quit? I will just know. Might be vision, or reflexes, or more likely a growing intuition. But not this day. View attachment 251678
We just want more pictures of those Italians in your posts.

Hate even thinking about that as I near "that" day! lol

I turned 60 a few months ago and have a new acute awareness of my limited time left doing the things I really enjoy. Will it be 5, 10, 15 years from now when I can't ride a dirt bike because I can't risk the injury? Who knows. But I'm not willing to stop until I just can't enjoy it any more. Even if I hurt like h**l the next day.

Went single track riding near Lake Murray, OK yesterday. Had a great time but took a tree branch across the neck and poked my eye. Also a couple of decent falls on rocks. Scratched me up pretty good. My wife was looking at me when I got home and just shakes her head and wonders how I can possibly find this abuse so fun.

Sounds like a darn good ride. Keep on rompin.

Like I told some woman at church the other day... Aging gracefully can seriously wait. Run marathons, race motorcycles, climb mountains, chase wild women....live a good story.

Love how you used 'Chase wild women' while at church

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I turned 64 on December 20. Don't have the long track record of riding that a lot of forum members have, but I love riding and exploring. My General Physician, my Cardiologist, my Orthopedic, and my Neurologist all know I ride. They all encourage me to do what makes me happy and keeps me feeling youngish. I ride to and from work as many days as possible, hot/cold/rain/shine (no ice or snow). Jay and I ride as many times during weekends as we can. We take at least 1 LONG road trip a year....at least 4000 miles. I am hoping to ride to Alaska in 2021 after I turn 65. 2020 will have us riding east to the Blue Ridge and West Virginia.

Do I ever feel unsafe or question my riding ability? Unsafe yes at times, especially in Ft. Bend County where the Audi/Mercedes/Lexus/Infiniti driving types think they have the right to change lanes while looking you directly in your eyes knowing you can't stop or speed up due to cars in front of you. Honestly Sugar Land and Richmond/Rosenberg are the only places where I feel extremely unsafe on the bike. Heck I would rather ride 610 through the Galleria at rush hour sometimes versus riding through Ft. Bend at rush hour or on a weekend.

Like others have stated....I will know when the time is appropriate for me to park the motorcycle. I still want to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. I would love to ride in New England when the leaves change. I want to ride Utah 12 again before I stop riding. I want to ride Going to the Sun Road at Glacier in its entirety once from end to end vs 2 different trips riding 1/2 way up from either end due to fires. That's why we are looking at buying a trailer to take the bikes part way west or east to eliminate some of the stresses from Day 1 and Day 2 riding to get out of Texas.

As long as we are able to ride and enjoy it and feel safe, we will keep riding.

Congratulations on having a great plan to keep you feeling young and strong and active!!! I won’t call it a bucket list but it’s good to have a list of places to go and keep riding. There’s something about being on two wheels that makes me forget all my problems. Like you, my cardiologist, pulmonologist, urologist, and oncologist all know that I ride and no matter what they tell me I will keep riding until I fall in that 6 foot deep hole with a box in the bottom. I think my Uroligist rides but he’s always so busy with patients I won’t stop him for casual conversation, but now when I reschedule his appointments due to an upcoming ride, he just smiles...

Feeling unsafe riding in rush-hour traffic with hundreds of 3 ton steel boxes trying to squish you is completely different than feeling unsafe riding because your physical limitations get in the way. If you’re OK riding away from traffic then I say “Ride On Brother!” Don’t take anyone’s ‘advise’ to hang up your helmet as long as you feel you can handle it. Maybe when you turn 94, your eyesight is shot, reflexes are timed with an hourglass, and you can’t remember which button to push for the turn signal - reconsider. But like the old saying
“If you can start it, you can ride it”

Keep it in the wind my friend. Look for me on the road. I’ll be the old fat guy riding a wheelie down Main Street with an IV pole strapped to the handlebars!

Drfood,

Thanks for comment on Ft. Bend County, I live in Sugar Land and have been riding here over 10 years. Each year is more and more miserable with traffic and poor drivers. So far so good with my riding abilities. Been under weather with stomach bug most of this week, and warm front has made WX pretty feh. Might get out today?

we continue.

Lucydad--I'm very fortunate that the only place I HAVE to ride in Ft. Bend is 90A to Dairy Ashford from Hillcroft. Once I cross under the beltway I really focus on certain vehicles.....school busses are notorious for driving stupid. Benz SUV's. Rav4's. It's funny, the landscape and construction type vehicles are the most respectful drivers. I started to say something as to the nationality of the drivers, but didn't feel like getting in trouble today.

Yeah, the weather has been bad, but it is Houston and it is January. Nothing has changed in my lifetime...warm, warm/muggy, cold wet, cold dry....we tolerate it until it gets HOT/HUMID and repeat :trust:

I learn a lesson from you every time you post about riding in Ft. Bend....it teaches me what and where to watch out for.

When I was 63 I quit doing vintage MX, not as tough as modern moto cross, but think of riding your bike with less than half of its suspension and you will get the picture. My street bikes have more suspension travel than my 72 BSA, or my Bultaco/ Montesa/ Puch. So at 75 I am settling for my 790 Adventure, V Strom etc. But I quit MX because I was no longer competitive, that’s where it will end, when it’s no fun, or I can’t keep up on a normal street ride.

Reactions: my6
I did get some good news today via inter web, etc. My old MV Agusta dealer who went poof, is now doing local Houston maintenance on MVs. He is a splendid fellow, and he has all the original diagnostic equipment, and the tools and know how to keep these Italian terrors running right. And my Brutale will be due for a maintenance sometime summer-- and I was a bit concerned.

Really wanted a Guzzi ride today, but too dicey weather. Took bicycle out instead. Sunday?

drfood... well riding in Ft. Bend county, thanks. I will say: don't even think about merging onto SW freeway, I-69 going northbound from highway 36 northbound: it is a horrid blind, short and difficult to even find merge. And if you miss: stuck in snarl of nasty traffic.

Nobody stops at stop signs in my neighborhood -- I am even cautious walking the poodles and will never assume a car will stop. Like you I will not mention any reason other than poor drivers. Don't get me started on distracted by cell phones and eating drivers, and the evening drunks, and speed races on University.

carry on.

I've downsized, I went from touring bikes to a V Strom. Weighs about half, still hard to pick up, got electrics for the winter. Got a Sportster for summer riding. I am now looking for a scooter, well because I need one?

I started riding in 1968 when I was 14, kept it up until the ex made me sell my CB750 in 1978. Then after I married the best woman in the world, and she let me get my first Hayabusa in 2002. (It was a LOONNNGG dry spell) She was beside me in the hospital after the Buick Roadmaster totaled it and broke my leg. I bought it back and fixed her back up. After $250,000.00 in my leg I could sorta walk. Sold her with 50k on the clock. Got me another Busa, a 2017. My wife was beside me in the hospital when I totaled a Honda Accord with my body and the Busa got broke in half. I asked her if she would be beside me if this sort of thing happened a third time. She said that she wouldn't stop me from doing what I love. That woman is the best. So as soon as I was out of the hospital and still in a wheel chair I ordered a new 2019 Busa.

When is that day coming for me? I don't know. I think maybe my family does in about the same way Vec's family does

My family knows I will stop riding when they throw the first shovel of dirt on the casket

My daughter hopes it is not because of a wreck, because I have promised her the Busa when I stop riding.

I lived, drove downtown, rode bicycles and motorcycles in Houston for 13 years, up until about 1991. The traffic conditions were just part of the landscape back then. Now when I visit I feel like I'm in a Death Race movie. I think its a combination of living a slower Hill Country lifestyle, I've gotten older and more used to slower traffic, and Houston has naturally gotten more congested and aggressive. Still a lot of fun to visit.

Drfood,

Thanks for comment on Ft. Bend County, I live in Sugar Land and have been riding here over 10 years. Each year is more and more miserable with traffic and poor drivers. So far so good with my riding abilities. Been under weather with stomach bug most of this week, and warm front has made WX pretty feh. Might get out today?

we continue.

Jan 5 was latest ride due to WX, stomach bug, busyness and yeah. WX looks promising, so can't wait to fire up the bikes soon. This time of year makes riding dicey. Carry on.

Moto Guzzi V7 III Special got the nod today. Chilly and a bit windy but tolerable. Wonderful machine.

I am 71 and still riding! Currently riding my 2001 Goldwing, "Yellow Beast". Matter of fact rode to the Pie Run at Hico yesterday, got about 140 miles. I have plans in the works for a Alaska trip in 2021 on a smaller bike. Not slowing down too much as I get older. When the day comes I will move to a trike or sidecar rig. One of the reasons I will keep the Wing, but not ready for 3 wheels yet!

Back