• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking about social distancing around Big Bend ,Is it open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterblaster

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Working from home, I can work from a park in Big Bend just as well as long as I have connectivity. Is the park open?

Another similar thread here. There are zero confirmed cases in most of the big counties out there, and they are protecting that status as aggressively as they can (dot = case). That one in Pecos Co just happened yesterday...

Not a lot of people out there either. Viruses love a bunch of people sardined together.

Yeah closing down a desert when we are trying to social distance ourselves is a bit absurd.

I don't know, they don't have any cases and the last thing they want is a bunch of "outsiders" bringing it there. I get it. The reports of New York city people driving into Dallas didn't sit well with me. Most of that desert is either National Park, which is closed, or Terlingua ranch, which is privately owned.

Remember, they have limited medical out there too. Limited food and stuff as well.

Of course, maybe the virus doesn't like the dry heat. And its already getting hot there. Check the weather. Already hitting 100º. As I said, I think everything is pretty much shut down there. The front porch has red police tape on it.

I understand the frustration...

Yes, we are shut down here in Big Bend. Park is closed. All motels, RV Parks, etc. are closed. We have limited medical facilities out here. A lot of the residents here are above the average age. So far we have no confirmed cases in Brewster County. And hot weather is getting here so please come back in the fall.

Meh, I dont need the town or any services, Ill be going out to see my park anyway.

Big Bend National Park is closed. Only essential travel is allowed in Brewster County. Try to camp out and it's a $1000 fine I believe.

I had a reservation at Big Bend Resort & Adventures for the Easter weekend. They cancelled it without me asking for it. So I take that as I was uninvited.

So it's ok for you to ride, but not anyone else, right?
I feel there is a difference between going for a casual ride in your area where it is permissible and choosing to go on a trip to a place that has closed down and made it clear that it doesn't want people coming there.

If the places I ride were to post a sign saying they are closed due to COVID-19 concerns, I wouldn't ride there out of respect for their wishes. I wouldn't just say screw them, I'm going anyway.

My original post was not saying don't ride, it was pointing out this attitude that some people have that they won't follow the safety guidelines for this virus because their personal desires are more important to them than the safety of the community.

Can you see the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
meh, if everyone is staying on lockdown there is little risk we would be transferring anything, especially to an high risk group. Counties are not fiefdoms, guidlines are guidlines not laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back