• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thoughts on a SV650 for a Gold Wing rider

Ripley

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
My main ride is a 2005 GL-1800. Two months ago I picked up a 96 Magna VF750C for a second bike. If the Gold Wing is a Cadillac STS (luxury with attitude) the Magna is an MG (quick & nimble). I love both for different reasons. You can cruise all day on the Wing yet carve curves in style. The Magna is a fun ride, up to 200 miles. It's light and has plenty of power. The main thing I don't care for is the cruiser style feet forward riding position.

The Magna has me thinking of a sports bike. I'm not sure my corpulent, stubby body (29 inch inseam) would cope well with the rear pegs and clip on handlebars of a pure sports bike. I'd like something with plenty of power (i.e. quicker than the Magna), good ground clearance and a short rake where I sit upright with my feet under my butt. I don't see riding it over 300 miles / day; that's a job for the Wing.

A friend suggested a Suzuki SV650, not the SV650S.

Thoughts?

He's right to suggest the non-"S" model. The "S" model is very cramped. Especially the '03's which had higher seats and pegs. I managed to make mine tolerable for 150 miles or so, but that was it. If you want really comfortable, look at a Bandit, FZ-1 or ZRX.

I've been on my SV since January/February, and just enjoy the heck out of it. I hear remarks from these guys who hit the track a lot, talking about how you have to upgrade the suspension, and such, but I've had no real complaints. I took the MSF advanced course with it back in the spring, and the instructor borrowed it to run a demonstration because his bike (ZZR1200) was parked on the other end of the course. After he finished, he said "Man, that bike is LIGHT! You could have a lot of fun on that thing."

I moved to the SV after riding a V-Star for about 5 months. I got so comfortable on the V-Star that I started dragging the floorboards, which of course made me uncomfortable again. The SV looked like a good low budget way to get into something with a little more ground clearance. So far, I get scared well before the pegs are near scraping. It was a big ergonomic jump though, and if I don't get out and ride a decent distance once in a while, well, I'm out of shape. My longest ride was 360 in a day, and I was pretty sore by the end, but the next morning I was feeling good enough for another 300 miles, and another 360 the day after that.

Personally, I'd suggest the '03 or newer models with fuel injection. Mine has enough power for me, keeps up in the twisties with bigger bikes alright, but lags behind a little on the straights.

:tab The FI models are more cramped in the legs if they are the S model. The naked version is better for what you are describing. However, coming from the GW you are likely used to loads of torque. Along those lines, I would recommend any of the good standards like the Kawasaki ZRX-1100 or 1200, the Yamaha FZ-1, perhaps the Suzuki SV 1000, Honda 919, Triumph Sprint RS, and even an R1200GS or 1150GS. All of those are going to have the pegs under you and a relatively upright seating position. Some are taller than others, particularly the 1150GS, but most are typical of the sportbikes in terms of seat height. All are capable canyon carvers and sport tourers.

:tab Then there are all the sport tourers like the VFR, Sprint ST, Duc ST2, 3, and 4, FJR1300. All great bikes. All more comfortable than your average crotch rocket.

SV for GW rider

Hey Jack!! You there? Do you not own both?

Second bike

I find the SV's VERRRY uncomfortable. Apparently most people don't. I would try to snag a generous test ride on a used one before you go out to plop down money for one.

Don't overlook the "sport standards" that are out there. They have plenty of performance as well as sane riding positions. Examples include the Kawi ZRX1200, Triumph Speed Triple, Suzuki Bandit 1200 and my personal favorite the Yamaha FZ1. KTM is about to release the 950SM Supermoto that should be a complete hoot. The Honda VFR800 is NOT a sport standard but is a very nice bike and probably has the raciest riding position that I might feel comfortable on for longer rides.

:tab Man, how could I have forgotten the B1200 and Speed Triple!? :oops:

:tab I think the key is your inseam. If you have an inseam of around 32" or less, then the SV will probably do fine for you. I have a 34" inseam and find the 01-02 S models more comfortable than the 03+ S models. Haven't been able to snag a ride on either of the naked versions but they are supposed to have a bit more leg room than the S and a more upright position since they use the handlebar instead of clip ons.

:tab While the VFR is not a standard, with the addition of Helibars, the seating position was close to a standard for me (98-01 versions). The pegs are not back up behind the rider, they are almost directly under the seat. On many standards, they are actually a bit forward of that position. I could do 500+ miles on the VFR with no problems at all.

:tab I think if I were buying new, the Sprint ST would be pretty high on my list and the FZ-1. Both are comfy and both have loads of power.

Hey Ripley, you the guy at P.O's with the magna that has the blue on black paint job? If so (or even if not, I suppose), then welcome!! I'm Matt, we talked for a couple minutes by the Sprint a couple weeks back.

I'm sorry, I thought we were just benchracin' & BSin, If I'da known you were lookin, I woulda spent some more time talking with you about the Sprint. If I can get to PO's again soon, you're welcome to a test sit, maybe ride the ST. Unfortunately, something else has recently absconded with my Tuesday nights, but I may be able to work something out.

As for the SV's- I haven't ridden 'em, but I really like em, but multiple sit tests have confirmed they are pretty cramped for me, but I am longish of inseam, but, but, but...

The Bandits, Speed Triple, Sprint, Superhawk, and FZ's may all be viable choices....The more I think about this, the more alternatives come to mind... The V-Strom 1K also has the torque, power, cornering clearance, & seating position, but it is tallish. Same for the Tiger & GS's.

Wait 5 minutes, someone from the Connie Cult will be along soon to gesticulate wildly about the unparalleled virtue of the Concourse. :roll:

JUST KIDDIN' YA GUYS!! :rofl

Ripley said:
My main ride is a 2005 GL-1800. Two months ago I picked up a 96 Magna VF750C for a second bike.

I'd say stick with TEAM RED and go for the VFR!!!

You'll never look back ;-)

The VFR will have the engine feel of the Magna, and then some...

Gary Dogwood should be chiming-in anytime now, he's had all three in the last year, the 1800 GW, the SV650, AND now has the VFR.

:chug:

chime. chime. yes, i was lost but now i'm found. i loved the goldwing but it sure was big (didn't feel like it when it was moving though). i wanted a sportier bike for playing around so bought an sv650s last summer (2004). i kept trying to convince myself that i liked it but i never could get used to it and it just didn't feel stable to me in the corners. i even upgrade the suspension to accomodate my weight (approx 190) but still didn't like it. so march of this year traded in for a vfr; after that i never rode my goldwing anymore so i sold it. just have one bike now and no desire to add to the stable at this time.

don't misunderstand, i am not knocking the sv; many people love them; it just was not the bike for me.

gw

STrider said:
Hey Ripley, you the guy at P.O's with the magna that has the blue on black paint job? ... I thought we were just benchracin' & BSin
I am and we were. I go up to *** most Tuesdays. Wednesdays are open although I hear Yankee's Tavern serves a great ribeye on Wednesdays.

A lot of bikes have been mentioned: Suzuki Bandit & SV1000, Yamaha FZ-1, Kawasaki ZRX 1100 & 1200, Honda 919, Superhawk & VFR, Triupmh Sprint and some Ducatis (in my dreams); some sports tourers - the FJR1300 and Connie; and some some dual sports including the BMW R1200 & 1150GS, Suzuki VStrom and Triuph Tiger.

I know a bit about many of them. For the sports types I think all of those will be heavier than I'm looking for now. The SV is only 350 lb. Also I'd like to keep the price down. I'm not ready to buy a $9-11K bike. I think I can pick up an SV650 for $4K. (Is that correct?)

My concerns with the SV are the power and seating. The Magna has a lot of power, particulary over 5K. I want at least that much.

I don't need another tourer. I hear great things about the ST1100 & 1300, the FJR and the Connie. But that's what my Wing is for.

One day I want to get an 1150GS. It sits tall but I've sat on a couple with low seats. I may have to sneak up on it via a VStrom or Tiger with seat mods. (I have a 29 inch inseam.)

Ripley said:
I think I can pick up an SV650 for $4K. .... The Magna has a lot of power, particulary over 5K. I want at least that much.

FYI, a pre-VTEC VFR800 (98-2001) with the same-ish bullet-proof V4 in the Magna runs about the same ($4K) and IMHO likes singing (>5K RPM) better than a V-twin.

BTW, I currently own the Brit version of the VFR :lol: close to same ergos, size, weight, with some Euro feel ;-) I still lust after a VFR, it just hasn't been "in the cards" for me YET!

Ripley said:
One day I want to get an 1150GS. It sits tall but I've sat on a couple with low seats. I may have to sneak up on it via a VStrom or Tiger with seat mods. (I have a 29 inch inseam.)

Hey Ripley, good to see you here. Maybe bushwhacker Bill will show up at P.O.'s one evening on his Tiger. He's had the suspension lowered a bit along with a number of other nice mods. Bill is probably about your height and he's very happy with the bike.

Hey Ripley, Global Motorsports on Kuykendahl just South Cypresswood, has a used FZ-1, Tiger, Sprint ST and FJR1300, you could go there and have sit on each one and compare side by side. They are closed this week on vacation, but will be open next Tuesday. If you have never been there, Ed and Willie Smeets are very nice people.

http://www.globalcycles.com/inv/index.html

Georgia

Sleepy Weasel said:
Jack hasn't posted anything since July 28th. Anybody know if he's doing alright?

My computer crashed, some weird Javascript problem and the other one was loaded up with friggin' spyware. :angryfir: Anyway, bought a new compac today, so I'm BAAAAAAACK!

Yeah, I've got an old GL1100A and a 01 SV650S. The SV is hard on an old man, LOL! I've done a 400 mile day on it. I've got honda hawk bars on it which helped it a lot. I've not put the lower standard pegs on it, yet. Don't know if I will. It's a great bike for 90 percent of the riding I do, but for a LOONG ride or inclimate weather, I'll take the wing. The old horse is a two wheeled couch. Handles like crap, though. :lol:

I've Race Teched the forks. They were sad, sad, sad when I bought it. The shock is fine for the street, but an Ohlins would be oh, so nice. I've never put the thing on the track. I might do a track day in the future with it, but it'll never be raced. It's too nice a little street pocket rocket to abuse like that. I love the thing for what it does great, commute, back road fun, short trips. It's an absolute blast every time I throw a leg over it and thumb the starter. It is NOT a touring bike, however, no matter how hard I try to make it one. :lol: It's been great as the gas prices go up, too. Thing gets 45 or so to the gallon. I guess if I putted around it might get near 50.

:tab Man, I was really beginning to wonder... What with the nature of some of the recent topics I was astounded that you had not jumped in feet first :lol: Glad you found your way back ;-)

Jack Giesecke said:
Tourmeister said:
:tab Man, I was really beginning to wonder... What with the nature of some of the recent topics I was astounded that you had not jumped in feet first :lol: Glad you found your way back ;-)

Well, I AM trying to take a lighter approach to this site, or maybe quell my strong opinions? :lol:

Stong opinions? NAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Just LONG ones! :lol: :chug:

Back