• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Throttle Assist/ Lock?

Reaction score
I'm a long time rider but these days just commute 30 minutes to work. I do dirt bike every weekend. Occasionally, I like to go on multiple day street bike trips and am having issues with bad throttle arm cramp after maybe 100 miles. I have had some injuries in this area and am 62 so that does not help. I tend towards somewhat twisty mountain roads so there is frequent need to adjust speed and I can't see electronic cruise control working. I have a Cramp Buster and when placed in the standard position it helps but it is also kind of dangerous. As I push on the handlebar to go right, I also push down on the Cramp Buster which adds acceleration and tends to make me run wide. To get around this problem I slide it all the way on and use it sort of like a thumb throttle but it does not help that much. I had an old style clamp type assist on another bike but it was always too tight or too loose so the throttle would close. Can assists like the Throttlemeister be adjusted for constant tension so the throttle stays where you put it yet is still easy to move? Are there any other suggestions? A long time ago, I had a bike with a throttle like a lawn mower. At least that is the way I remember it. It would stay where ever you set it..probably a 1973 FLH. Something like that might be good.

Sounds like you already have what i would have suggested..I'm 66 and had carpal realease surgery in my throttle hand..since then i've been good..clutch hand has arthritis and i need periodic cortisone injections..they help alot. maybe something you could look into...Sorry i cannot be of more help...BTW I used to use a cramp buster on a previous ride but when i would ride the mountain twisties i took it off..i wouldnt recommend using it on those kinds of roads..just too dangerous..IMHO

Last edited:
aed5be93ee2fafbab78501830eba269e.jpg

Have one on each of my bikes

go cruise has a chrome one with a thumb screw to adjust the tension, Have one on the V-strom and works great holds good but not so tight you cant twist throttle back.

Aaron

What do you mean by " I can't see electronic cruise control working " ?

Last edited:
Does go cruise have to be reset each time you slow down and then speed up?

JMZ - With frequent speed changes needed, I would think electronic control would be very cumbersome. I see it more of a freeway thing that is used when maintaining the same speed for a long time.

That makes sense. I don't see anything working on the curvy roads with elevation changes though.

Does go cruise have to be reset each time you slow down and then speed up?

JMZ - With frequent speed changes needed, I would think electronic control would be very cumbersome. I see it more of a freeway thing that is used when maintaining the same speed for a long time.

Yes, you have to reset it each time - but you just move it back to lock position with your index finger or thumb - very simple & easy - I had one on my Nomad for several years - it worked well with no issues - here's a link to video that shows how it instals & works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=wX2OgqH4ZNo

Thanks for all of the information. I'm thinking the kaoko or throttlemeister may work best for me. I just ordered the kaoko because it looks a little easier to use. It would benice to ba able to ride 500 mile days again.

I guess I`m spoiled . I have the Rostra cruise on my Tenere . It works very good.

Atlas throttle lock

https://www.atlasthrottlelock.com

Probably the most expensive one and probably works just like the cheapest one. Works as advertised. I chose it because of it's compact design and its on,off pushbutton characteristic which appealed to me as being easier operating. I see they have a new beefier version . I am happy with it.

Before I flew out west to Vegas to ride my Tenere back from South West Utah I asked the seller if it it had a throttle lock. He said it had a Vista cruise and I also knew that he hadn't completed the rostra install . The Vista cruise broke right off the bat on me coming home . ?

I had a Vista Cruise on an old style concourse. It relied on friction with the OD of the throttle tube. On that bike, the OD of the tube was less than perfectly round and a bit lumpy so I could never get a smooth operation even after trying to dress with a file. It was too tight or the throttle would slowly close. I'll see if the Kaoko is any better. It seems like a friction stabilizer would work best if it was a polished stainless steel surface against something like polished bronze or maybe very flat plastic. Are any like that or has anyone ever tried a DIY like that?

I have a Vista cruise control on my VStrom. It's dumb, simple, and cheap. It took about 15 minutes to install, then a few practice rides to get the tension adjusted correctly. So it does what you were asking about - holds the throttle at a constant position, but can be easily adjusted without releasing the lock. To be fair, you have to "ride" the throttle because, this not being real cruise control, the bike will slow down or speed up with every nuance of the road. And if left alone for more than a minute, the throttle will gradually slip and the bike begins to slow down.

But it does what it's supposed to do very well:
- Allows you to ride with a very relaxed grip, almost just draping your hand over the throttle if you choose.
- Allows you to take your right hand off the throttle & stretch or swing your arm for several seconds at a time.

I think the difference in hand, wrist, and shoulder relaxation adds 1 to 2 hours time to what I consider a "comfortable" ride if I'm having to cover some serious west Texas distance.

If memory serves, it cost about $35 4 years ago.

Last edited:
I fitted the Breakaway unit, love the way it automatically dis-engages when the brake is pulled on. Bit expensive and you do loose a bit of throttle grip, but I've had it on for 7 or 8 years and still use it on trips.

img_1117.jpg

Throttlemiester works well, you can set it to a medium tension and roll it
on and off easily allowing only light pressure. or you can have it locked down where it
will hold but still be able to roll it off with no issue.

Back