• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Thursday Austin Lunch M&G - 11:00 (Billy's on Burnet)

Re: Thursday Austin Lunch M&G - Billy's - 11:00

I would try to work things out through her insurance first. You can always fall back on yours if things get sticky.

Sorry to hear this, Scott. We are glad you are OK! Let us know if we can assist you in any way. Sam

End of the road for the R1150GSA...

Scott,

I was just catching up on messages and saw your post about the second accident you had this month involving another car near Ken's last week. If it was me, I might throw in the towel and give up motorcycle riding completely, at least for some time in order to reflect if this is something I want to continue pursuing. In the final analysis, it is only just two wheels and an engine. There are lots of other worthy activities to compete for one's time.

You are fortunate this did not happen on Burnet Road at higher speeds and involving other cars which could have accentuated the damage you received already. You already wear a bright green jacket with a white helmet, so I don't know what else you could have done. Cars turning in front of motorcycles, according to several studies is a major source of injury and death for riders. This just confirms my dislike of commuting on a motorcycle in a large inner city. There are just too many risks involved. Weekend riding and occasional road trips is more of my riding preferences.

It is OK to be bikeless for a while. You might consider taking up dual-sporting as an alternative to riding in the streets of Austin. The dirt is much more forgiving than asphalt and other cars.

:zen:

I hope you heal up quickly!

RB

Scott,

I was just catching up on messages and saw your post about the second accident you had this month involving another car near Ken's last week. If it was me, I might throw in the towel and give up motorcycle riding completely, at least for some time in order to reflect if this is something I want to continue pursuing. In the final analysis, it is only just two wheels and an engine. There are lots of other worthy activities to compete for one's time.

You are fortunate this did not happen on Burnet Road at higher speeds and involving other cars which could have accentuated the damage you received already. You already wear a bright green jacket with a white helmet, so I don't know what else you could have done. Cars turning in front of motorcycles, according to several studies is a major source of injury and death for riders. This just confirms my dislike of commuting on a motorcycle in a large inner city. There are just too many risks involved. Weekend riding and occasional road trips is more of my riding preferences.

It is OK to be bikeless for a while. You might consider taking up dual-sporting as an alternative to riding in the streets of Austin. The dirt is much more forgiving than asphalt and other cars.

RB

You're full of good news.

You're full of good news.

I did like the movie.

:rofl:

tumblr_lglausLc091qa0wmmo1_500.jpg

RB

Scott,

RB

:nono::nono:

Thats crazy talk, get back on that horse and ride. This was the event you told us about when you sold the yellar one. Your good! Fix it, ride it, enjoy!

Oh whats that on my avatar, could that be water and gravel?

I can't help but think of the guy who was killed at Zilker Park several years ago by a falling tree limb. His widow wrote us a letter thanking us for trying to save him. I found it ironic that he had recently given up riding because he felt it was too dangerous.

I can't help but think of the guy who was killed at Zilker Park several years ago by a falling tree limb. His widow wrote us a letter thanking us for trying to save him. I found it ironic that he had recently given up riding because he felt it was too dangerous.

Funny!

However, what is the probability of serious injury or death riding a motorcycle in the inner city versus a tree limb bonking you on the head?

riskthermometer.gif
Source

The interesting metric that more deaths in cars than motorcycles has not been normalized means that the odds of your motorcycle being involved in an accident is SUBSTANTIALLY LOWER than your car being in an accident while the odds are overwhelming that if you are involved in an accident on your bike it will be catastrophic in comparison to what would happen if you were in a car.

..yes, some people have been killed by falling coconuts as well. I have lot's of hair, so I don't have to worry about that.

:lol2:

RB

Not shown on the chart is "skydiving by accident". Very dangerous!

Yes I did, Scott. May I add I certainly enjoy it! Looks like I drank the kool aid, there may be no going back.:rider:

BTW it is an 08 with 7400 miles. No farkles?:scratch:
Good on you!! :clap:

Oh no, Dave, not you,too???????:eek2:
Those KLR people are SO sneaky. Ask Mark what that red color fades imto.;-)
Hope to see you and it at lunch.
Tom

I'll be at Kens barring any unforeseen hiccups along the way.

Re: New Meet Spot in Austin - Hot Rod Coffee Trailer

I'll try to not have the flashing lights this time.....

I'll be in court today.

in

Ken's = Hot Rod's.

Some folks go to Billy's (further south on Burent) earlier (11:00-ish) then join the rest of us at Ken's around noon.

Tricepilot might also make an appearance at Kens.... We were talking about it last night.

If everything goes right I should be able to get my Hot Rod chilli dog today!!

It used to be lunch at Billy's. Then Ken decided to go in business for himself and sell coffee (not related to Billy's). Some from the Billy's crowd would go by Ken's after lunch to get a drink of whatever. It has now morphed into two different groups, some opting out of Billy's altogether and just going to Ken's. Some of us, like myself, prefer to still go to Billy's then hit Ken's if time allows. Billy's opens at 11:00am, Ken is open way too early, but then I guess that's why he serves great coffee.

Back