• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Thursday Austin Lunch M&G - 11:00 (Billy's on Burnet)

Re: Thursday Austin Lunch M&G - Billy's - 11:00

See you all at Ken's....

Good to see everyone today.

It sounds like some of the Ken/Billy's crowd will make it to LDDave's BBQ in Lockhart this weekend. I am ready to sample 2-3 different BBQ places. All I want is pork loin and brisket. Curious to know Scott, which place in Lockhart has the tastiest versions?

:clap:

Cheers,

RB

...All I want is pork loin and brisket. Curious to know Scott, which place in Lockhart has the tastiest versions?
RB

I won't start a 'which bbq is better'. We're going to Krietz for lunch and that's that. :-P

...but i'm a fan of smitty's and black's if anyone cares :eat:

I won't start a 'which bbq is better'. We're going to Krietz for lunch and that's that. :-P

...but i'm a fan of smitty's and black's if anyone cares :eat:

The burning question <no pun intended) is...what is the difference between the above establishments regarding the ingredients and preparation process?

For me, I prefer dry rubs on meats. Great pork loin needs a crusty layers or salt/pepper only on the outside, then 3-5 mm of fat in order to seal in the juices in addition to being brined properly. Otherwise, the pork tends to dry out really quickly and taste terrible.

I like brisket too...lean is better. Interesting factoid that specifically beef brisket has benefits similar to olive oil according to Texas A&M research paper.

:clap:

RB

I've only been to Black's, not a fan.

I've only been to Black's, not a fan.

Good point. Kreuz has a Zagat rating of 25 with 164 review. Black's 21 Zagat rating with 89 reviews. Smitty's has a Zagat rating of 27 and 126 reviews.

Zagat is an excellent food ranking service that was recently purchased by Google. The difference between a 21 and 25 and a 27 Zagat code can be pretty dramatic.

RB

The only BBQ I rave about is Cooper's in Llano and I live in Elgin who has Southside and Meyer's. I do like Rudy's, don't care for Salt Lick or County Line (for chain restaurants). Haven't been to any other in Lockhart so can't compare. Of course taste is personal preference, what's my favorite might not be yours.

Haven't looked at Zagat ratings before.

The only BBQ I rave about is Cooper's in Llano and I live in Elgin who has Southside and Meyer's. I do like Rudy's, don't care for Salt Lick or County Line (for chain restaurants). Haven't been to any other in Lockhart so can't compare. Of course taste is personal preference, what's my favorite might not be yours.

Haven't looked at Zagat ratings before.

We ate at Smitty's and the pork chops were good but not superb. They sat on the grill a bit too long and were slightly dry in the center.

The gold standard for "the other white meat" has to be Cooper's in Llano. The pork loin is superb and is covered with a thick crust of salt and pepper to lock in that moist goodness.

:trust:

RB

IN for Billy's this week. Plan to go to Fredericksburg on Friday to the National Museum of the Pacific War as they're having a Pearl Harbor Day observance at 12:25pm.

I'm working Thursday covering so someone else can go to co-worker's funeral. It sure won't be a fun day.

IN for Billy's this week. Plan to go to Fredericksburg on Friday to the National Museum of the Pacific War as they're having a Pearl Harbor Day observance at 12:25pm.
Took Mason there over Thanksgiving.....wow is that place nice! I hadn't been there is 6 or 8 years and it is an awesome visit! You'll love it! :sun:
Hopefully IN

I'm working Thursday covering so someone else can go to co-worker's funeral. It sure won't be a fun day.

Sorry to hear about that... Heard it on the news last night.

Re: New Meet Spot in Austin - Hot Rod Coffee Trailer

Should be a beautiful day tomorrow.....

I'm IN.....

Re: New Meet Spot in Austin - Hot Rod Coffee Trailer

Yeah - in as well, but might be a little on the late side...

I'm at our East Service Center getting my car's oil changed and 4 new tires put on. Should be on time for lunch though.

Kurt, I hadn't heard but just searched for it. It pains. We work so closely with Fire/EMS I get to know those guys and gals personally. We look out for each other. Feel like we're the same family. My condolences, my friend.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/20237761/austin-paramedic-killed-in-crash

Back