• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tilt Shift

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Round The World moto travelers Paul and Jenn are currently in Mexico

In Guanajuato, Paul took some images using Tilt Shift and placed them in this post. Never really understood the effect until I saw these images (scroll down to the bottom of the post to see the views of the urban center captured from the mirador above Guanajuato).

I'd be interested to see if some of the photogs here have used Tilt Shift, and how......

The "toy effect" is really interesting. I'm off to Google the science behind it.

One thing is for sure - having been to Guanajuato, all I can say that if you're going to use a setting for this effect, that town would be it.

Their ride report: Five BILLION inches…riding RTW and back…for as long as it takes

jan%2031-12-XL.jpg

jan%2031-9-XL.jpg

I remember seeing some info about this in one of Tony Nortrup's videos. I will see if I can find it and post it. (Edit: there are tons of YouTube videos about it. It may be his book I am thinking of. No videos.)

Last edited:
This is one of the best videos I've seen about them. Almost got one earlier this year, but decided a macro lens was going to be more useful to me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luzrSBggQ-o"]How to use a Tilt Shift Lens - YouTube[/ame]

You all know more about it than I, but be aware Paul captured those images using the Tilt Shift feature of his Canon G16, not a DSLR with a special lens

Looks like it is the miniature mode of the G16 he is using. Seems to simulate the tilt feature of a tilt-shift lens by applying a selective focus in a plane (strip across the sensor). Amazing what they can do in software/firmware.

Thats a neat effect, esp for the panorama. There are several smart phone apps & photo editors that will mimick this effect.

Looks like it is the miniature mode of the G16 he is using. Seems to simulate the tilt feature of a tilt-shift lens by applying a selective focus in a plane (strip across the sensor). Amazing what they can do in software/firmware.

My D750 has a setting for this. It's pretty cool.

I have to agree with Bob. That town just looks perfect for that effect!

It is a couple of neat shots. PhotoScape (free editing software I use) has that effect along with many others. Only certain images look good having it done, usually distant shots like the ones posted here.

Back