• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tim Kreitz Adventures

TWTim

Reaction score
The YouTube site comprises lots of content that documents my riding life, including trips, bike mods, motorcycle-related podcasts, etc:

I also utilize a companion blog where I mirror the YT episodes. There I sometimes write supplemental articles to accompany the vids, and it also serves as a regular moto-related editorial blog:

Content examples:

I travel to the Texas Hill Country every spring and to the Davis Mountains every autumn. I love to meet fellow riders and feature them on the channel. The same goes for my annual California trip every summer.

Last edited:
Great videos. I've watched some of them. You had my drz and JT's xrr in one of them in junction at Issaks.

Great videos. I've watched some of them. You had my drz and JT's xrr in one of them in junction at Issaks.

That's awesome! Matt and I discussed the possibility that one or both of you guys were probably TWTers. We'll be back in Junction April 11-14, 2019 with the Dust Bowl Beemers.

I think we need to get folks to start pumping Tim's head full of ideas for his videos... :trust:

Heh-heh-heh. I can always use some good ideas. We are tentatively planning springtime and summer locales for episodes. We go everywhere from to ghost town to places with historic and cultural Texas flavor. :)

Tim is like the two wheeled Daytripper. If you have seen that show. It would be fun to join in sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to see you try out your interview skills. Find some cool folks and get them to share their stories.

Hey Tim, care to outline your camera equipment you use?

Sure, no prob. Here's a partial equipment list from my YT channel's About page:

=====================================
Video & Audio Production Gear (partial list):
Sony AX53
Nikon D3100
Nikon D3200
Nikon S9600
2 x GoPro Hero 3+
DJI Phantom 3
DJI Spark
Adobe Master Suite
LogicPro
iMac/MacBookPro
=====================================

The on-bike microphones are dynamic condenser lavalier mics with a USB interface. I use a pop filter or a deadcat and mount them inside my helmet at about 45 degrees to my mouth.

That number is definitely significant and certainly sounds like a lot. That is, until it is compared to the things that actually place the most burden onto the healthcare system; namely obesity and heart disease. According to the CDC, the annual medical cost of obesity in the US hovers somewhere around $150 billion. The annual medical cost of heart disease comes in at about $800 billion. Yes, that's almost a trillion dollars.

The reason I invoke obesity and heart disease over other health problems in this comparison is because, much like riding without a helmet, they are highly preventable. This begs the obvious question: If the relatively small burden placed onto the system by helmetless riders justifies legislation to make helmet usage compulsory, why do we not have laws criminalizing fat people? It would seem to me that anyone concerned with the medical cost of caring for un-helmeted motorcyclists is barking up the wrong tree.

There are a LOT more fat voters than motorcycle riding voters ;-)

If you expect consistency in our body of laws, you WILL go insane... IT's never going to happen. Regardless of the myths of philosopher politicians and expert technocrats, politics is not about rationality. It is about emotions. This is why the comparison of burden between helmetless riders and obesity will never carry the day.

One might argue that a helmetless rider is more likely to die, and thus actually be a LOWER cost to the healthcare system than a rider that survives but requires a lot of surgeries and recovery therapy.

Either way, the problem is not people imposing costs on the healthcare system, it is the healthcare system that imposes costs on EVERYONE even if they are not using it.

You are so right, Scott. There is no consistency of law. Moreover, there is no rule of law. Every time I hear some pundit ask, "Well, what about the rule of law?", I instantly respond, "There is none." That is the greatest problem. Two people can read a volume of posited law and draw diametrically opposed conclusions about its intent and meaning. Only the natural law is consistent. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm... so at 8:24, you make the comment that a motorcyclist not wearing a helmet does not endanger anyone else. Well, using the same argument as your host about seat belts, you could argue that a rock to the head/face of a rider could cause loss of control and thus endanger other people. Now, that does not mean I am in favor of a helmet law based on his rationale for seat belt laws, but just that the same reasoning can be applied in both cases. At best, I might accept a law that requires a windscreen higher than the head if there is no helmet being worn. But even that leaves me wanting... If we use the "danger to others" as the standard, that is a REALLY loose standard. I could sit here and come up with all kinds of new laws using that justification!

Ohhh... about 30:20, the guy on left mentions being on the highway at speed with a helmet, you are **... As someone that has slid face down on chip seal at 70mph, I'd have to disagree that a helmet won't make much difference. Even at the supra legal speeds, they still make a difference. After all, professional racers wear them. Speed matters because it affects energy. In a direct impact with an immovable object, a helmet can only do so much good. There is no disputing this! But, that is just ONE type of case where the helmet absorbs energy. More frequent is simply the head height to ground fall, followed by a slide. In those cases, a helmet makes a HUGE difference.

Those are excellent points. Sounds like you need to come be a guest on the podcast! :)

UPDATE: HB 748 has been referred to committee, which means that barring some miracle of the Texas legislative process, the bill is dead this time around.

Great new video today Tim. That camera trick is awesome. Your video makes me want to ride so bad. I just need Sunshine.

Beautiful ZRX, I passed up an opportunity for one of those years ago and still have not forgiven myself.

Back