• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire Change Due, Need a Hand (tool)

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
I have a set of tires that I need to mount and would like to use a tire machine. These go on a Gold Wing and I have to get another set for my Voyager. I was younger once but working on the ground holds no allure for me. Anyone in Central Texas have a machine I could use? I have my sets of tire irons but you just can't beat leverage of the long bar. My other problem! I only have the one motorcycle jack and there is a Gold Wing frame and motor mounted on it, So I have to get the Wings tires mounted and installed then I need to raise up the Voyager to get the rear off. I have done the "remove the rear fender, trailer hitch" thing and it just easier to jack it up 18 inches and pull the wheel out, by about an hour easier! So it looks like I need to get the fork seals replaced and revamp the rear shocks on the Wing pronto! This event well end up taking a couple hours over a couple of days, barring any unforseen glitches.

I'll pm you my home phone number. I have a harbor freight tire machine...or is it just a mounting tool. Hard to call it a machine since I still do all the work. I'm on the west side of Round Rock. Can't help with the MC jack though. I have a Goldwing sitting on mine too...and my GW forks are on the bench getting new seals themselves.

I also have the Harbor Freight tire changer and a Sears motorcycle jack, if that'll help. I have zero room in my garage right now to take in much more of anything, but you're welcome to borrow that stuff if it'll help you. I'm east of Round Rock, south of 79 @ Wally-World, and should be home this Saturday a.m.

I think I'm a bit further away that the others, but you're welcome to stop by and use my HF changer and lift table if it would help. Just drop me a PM.

Carl

buck000 said:
I also have the Harbor Freight tire changer and a Sears motorcycle jack, if that'll help. I have zero room in my garage right now to take in much more of anything, but you're welcome to borrow that stuff if it'll help you. I'm east of Round Rock, south of 79 @ Wally-World, and should be home this Saturday a.m.

If you go out CR123 and after the low water crossing take the 2nd right, your at my place! I bet you and a couple of other guys went out on a Saturday morning , crossed the creek and there was some guy shoveling gravel off the road!

Wasn't me, but you're quite close. PM me if you wanna come over and pick up stuff Sat. a.m... :chug:

How do you guys balance the wheels after replacing the tires?

I'll be needing a new rear on the Wing at some point.

Thx.

Mark G said:
How do you guys balance the wheels after replacing the tires?

I'll be needing a new rear on the Wing at some point.

Thx.

I don't know much about the wing, but if it has an axle you can ballance the wheel by placing the axle on two jack stands and using the spin ballance technique. I personally use the ballancer from Marc Parnes since it is the only one available with adapters for my Futura's rear wheel. You can see pics at http://mcnamee.tzo.net/motorcycle.

Carl

I try the spin balance method but I just don't like the results. Cycle Gear in Austin has a spin balancer. I just may take it to them to balance. The last tire ran smooth at speeds exceeding posted limits;-)

DaveC said:
I try the spin balance method but I just don't like the results. Cycle Gear in Austin has a spin balancer. I just may take it to them to balance. The last tire ran smooth at speeds exceeding posted limits;-)

If it is done correctly, static balancing can be almost as accurate as a high speed spin balance. A couple of times when I was learning I did a wheel and then had a shop double check the balance. Both wheels were close enough that the mechanic said he wouldn't adjust the weight. I had one wheel checked again recently when a patch was installed and my technique still had the tire balanced well. As usual, YMMV! :)

Carl

Well, Dave came by my place Wednesday night and we got the tires done in about an hour and a half. Too much talking I suspect. We have some common interests and projects. He and I are both working on old Goldwings. His is newer and more likely to run in the next month or two. We've both done some woodworking and he seemed to enjoy my shop. He brought me a six pack, but about halfway through the job he started complaining about the heat and joked that he should have brought a fan...so I started the air conditioner.:clap: Life is good sometimes. I think after work today I will head into the shop, pop the top on one of those beers, turn on the AC and work on the Oldwing forks.

Back