• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire pressure for Big Bend

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
Spooned on a set of Dunlop D606s and at 15psi, they seem awfully stiff.
Maybe 12psi?

15 sounds low to me .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I am going 5 front and rear on the Beta Rev 3 270 trials scooter. You can bring it over here and launch her in the pasture to experiment. I could loan you my CO2 tank for your trip?

I know I am in the minority but on my 525 with D606s I run 15psi for off road only. For stuff where I'm running pavement I go to 20psi front and 20-25psi rear depending if I have my camping stuff or not. I let my suspension be the cushion. I don't think any increase in traction is worth damaging a rim or tire in a remote location. YMMV

I know I am in the minority but on my 525 with D606s I run 15psi for off road only. For stuff where I'm running pavement I go to 20psi front and 20-25psi rear depending if I have my camping stuff or not. I let my suspension be the cushion. I don't think any increase in traction is worth damaging a rim or tire in a remote location. YMMV

+1
sometimes us minority folks are the wisest.

Besides the points you made above, riding in rocky terrain is just asking for a pinch flat unless you ride at crawling speeds. I like to ride more and patch/replace tubes at trail side less. Maybe a racer needs the advantage a 5 psi reduction brings but for dual sport nobody does.

The only reason I have 15psi in the front is because my tube has a slow leak!

Reactions: JMZ
For big bend, my buddy on his XR650r and me on my xr400, we both use 18psi rr, 19-20 fr., on 21"/18" spokes
he uses desert maxxis iT fr&rr,
i use combo d606 rr , mt21 fr

This PSI range is the best compromise for a dirt bike doing big bend as this ensures no pinch flats should you hit that sharp edge riding the canyons at a good clip, and it ensures you don't melt up all those sweet knobs pounding pavement to the nearest gas station and/or back to your motel/campsite.

For big bend, my buddy on his XR650r and me on my xr400, we both use 18psi rr, 19-20 fr., on 21"/18" spokes
he uses desert maxxis iT fr&rr,
i use combo d606 rr , mt21 fr

This PSI range is the best compromise for a dirt bike doing big bend as this ensures no pinch flats should you hit that sharp edge riding the canyons at a good clip, and it ensures you don't melt up all those sweet knobs pounding pavement to the nearest gas station and/or back to your motel/campsite.

Perfect info, thanks!

Rear 606 is a stiff tire to begin with but they still do bad things at low pressure. I saw one with its bead cut from hitting the rim in rocky terrain... sort of a pinch flat on steroids. The guy was running some ridiculously low pressure at the time and we weren't really floggin it up that mountain. Go with the suggestions offered above.

On my 500 Exc ,15-16.Never had a pinch flat but 4” nail on Terlingua ranch road will stop you every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back