• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire surprise

Reaction score
I know that many many many post on various boards have been thoroughly discussed as to what tires are better for said riding.
I am now at a place where I have to start looking for new tires street only for the Strom.
Having never liked Bridgestone tires before I was very pleasantly surprised with my last set and as a result of it I would buy them again.
I would buy them again even though they cost a little bit more than their competitors and last nowhere near the projected 10 to 16,000 miles everybody on the VTX boards spoke about.
This leads me to ask the question of you all.
What tires have surprised y‘all and y’all would buy again?
Even though the tires themselves never came close to matching any of the ”expert’s reviews.”

Strom = 19/17 right? I’d see if Chaparral still has the Dunlop Trail Missions for $130 a set. I just used some up in Eureka Springs and I have about an 1/8” of chicken strips left on just the front tire. They seem about as good as anything else I’d ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that many many many post on various boards have been thoroughly discussed as to what tires are better for said riding.
I am now at a place where I have to start looking for new tires street only for the Strom.
Having never liked Bridgestone tires before I was very pleasantly surprised with my last set and as a result of it I would buy them again.
I would buy them again even though they cost a little bit more than their competitors and last nowhere near the projected 10 to 16,000 miles everybody on the VTX boards spoke about.
This leads me to ask the question of you all.
What tires have surprised y‘all and y’all would buy again?
Even though the tires themselves never came close to matching any of the ”expert’s reviews.”
The "pavement" here in Texas....or should I say...the sanding strips....just eats up tires.
The Camry came with Michelin Defenders.... I got 30K out of em. I then installed General Altimax (highly rated)...
I got about 40K out of them. I have Toyo Extensas on now....30K & counting down.
These are all sposta be 70-80K mile car tires!

The Strom & the Tenere both had like new Michelin Anakee 3s on em when I traded
Both bikes got about 7-8K out of the Anakees. Im installin Bridgestone A40s next week on both bikes & expect to get about 5-6K out of those. The Dunlop TR91s should be about the same as BS A40s

Like I said....Texas sanding strips
Nothin is gonna last as long on our roads

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

You’re right Rod, they are trail smarts. I seem to be struggling with smarts these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still buy other brands here and there, but Bridgestone T30/T31's are what I end up getting for road tires. They always have a spring rebate and some years even a fall rebate. Last few sets have been about 175/pr and Bridgestone sends out their rebate very promptly. For the typical riding I do on public roads, there isn't much of any difference for me to shell out a lot more money on the expensive tires. Maybe they last longer, but frankly I don't run tires down to the cords, not even down to the wear bars. Most often, I can't wait to swap out for fresh meat. Brand new tread not heat cycled just work far better than worn out ones of any brand.

Surprises? Well... a couple of months ago I picked up two front T30 EVO 120/70R17 for $69 each. Called Bridgestone to see I qualify for the rebate, which is for a set of tires. To my surprised, they said yes. At that price, heck, if the tire so much as to wear a little funny, off it comes for a fresh tire. :-)

I was quite surprised by the ones on that bike. Metzler Tourance 150/70R-17 rear and 110/80R-19 front. So much so, I had purchased a set for the other Strom. They corner well and aren't too awful if you get in some dirt, but feel very streetable. I paid $251.15 shipped from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. I liked them and they seem long wearing. Plus your set inspired me to buy another. Maybe you should ship them up here, ride up and we will swap them. Then we can go ride KTMs. Just a thought....

IMG_3051.JPG

I was surprised how much I liked Shinko road tires. Then they surprised me with 2 tread separations while out of town. No more surprises for me. Back to Michelins.

Besides the deal on Dunlop TrailSmarts...there are also deals on the RoadSmart II out there.
I found a 180/55 17 at Chaparral for $95
& a 120/70 17 at Parts Giant & several other places for $67-70

Next best deals on 180 & 120 17s were the Bridgestone T30 set or the Pirelli Angel ST for $200

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Back