• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tires

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Can I use a tubeless tire on my XR650L with a tube. It is a 3.00-21 or 90/90/21
I put on a Shinko 700 tubeless and balanced it and it seems out of round when I ride. Something is not right and it was ok before.
The rear is ok it is a tube type Shinko 700 460/18

I do that all the time. Sometimes it even says on the side of the tubeless tire "Use tube for tube type wheel".

Some tires are just out of round. Has it been sitting on the shelf for a few years? I received a new (very old) tire from RMATV once, and it was never right. Finally gave up and tossed it.

I was thinking maybe I asked wrong. Can I use a tubless tire on a tube type spoke rim with a tube inside?
I think it is ok. The tires I ordered one the rear 4.50/18 says for tube use only and the front 90/90-21 says tubeless tire. My question deals with front Tyre.

Yes. You can use that front tire stamped tubeless with a tube on your tube tupe rim.

However...tubeless tires usually have a bit stiffer sidewalls and carcassaes than tubeless so it may be a slightly stiffer ride. Also, you might want to lube the bead or set it with a bit more pressure than normal as a tubeless tire typically has a thicker bead area to ensure it seals and you want to male sure the bead sets all the way. For example, if you put a tubeless tire on your front that you might only usually run 20 psi in the tube, you might want to air it up to 35 or 40 to set the bead and them back it off to 20 after you are sure the bead set correctly.

Your still good... did you balance, or someone else?
Yes I balanced but going down the road at slower speed it feels like it is out of round and I can feel it in the front brake as I come to a stop. Someone said i may run like 18 pressure for a short time then bring it up to normal 28 to 30. Think I will pull it and check run out on tire. I did put a heavy duty tube in it fir first time and that was tuff. I used the slightly pressed up then spooned it on. The tire I took off was smooth

Yes. You can use that front tire stamped tubeless with a tube on your tube tupe rim.

However...tubeless tires usually have a bit stiffer sidewalls and carcassaes than tubeless so it may be a slightly stiffer ride. Also, you might want to lube the bead or set it with a bit more pressure than normal as a tubeless tire typically has a thicker bead area to ensure it seals and you want to male sure the bead sets all the way. For example, if you put a tubeless tire on your front that you might only usually run 20 psi in the tube, you might want to air it up to 35 or 40 to set the bead and them back it off to 20 after you are sure the bead set correctly.
Bead lube of some sort is pretty much a requirement. I've had to air up to 60psi to t tires to seat sometimes. You just have to check very closely.

I used Go-Joe on the beads just to get the stiff wall on. The crap was on everything :-? Then I aired up to 50 let the air out and took back up to 28#. Looking at the tire edge it looks good. I may have got a bad tire that has been under something in warehouse.

I used Go-Joe on the beads just to get the stiff wall on. The crap was on everything :-? Then I aired up to 50 let the air out and took back up to 28#. Looking at the tire edge it looks good. I may have got a bad tire that has been under something in warehouse.
Sounds likely that it's a bad tire. It might self correct over time if you can live with the hop for a bit...but it probably will bever be right.

Back