• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Title stamped "export only"

Reaction score
Trying to make a deal on a bike. Its in Texas but has a New Mexico title and has stanped on it "export only."

Is that a problem or can I be able to get it to a Texas title?

I think I can get it low enough and dont mind jimping through hoops.

Interesting problem.
Google turned this up.
“The Export Sales rule, 43 Texas Administrative Code 215.147, sets out the requirements for dealers handling a sale to a foreign buyer. In summary:
Either collect MV sales tax or get a Comptroller's exemption form signed;
Obtain the buyer's photo identification issued by the jurisdiction where the buyer resides;
Stamp title “For Export Only” and give it to the buyer. Title must accompany vehicles for Customs;
For a retail sale, issue a buyer's tag and collect the $5 e-tag fee;
For a wholesale transaction, inform your buyer that they need a tag from their country if they plan on driving the vehicle back.
If a retail buyer returns an exported vehicle to Texas, several things need to happen in order for a dealer to sell it again. In the best case scenario, Customs will complete and provide you with an entry, CBP Form 7501. You'll receive the Form 7501 after you provide Customs with EPA Form 3520-1, DOT form HS-7, and the original title.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yea Im watching vids and looking at forums. Seems like I can just go the bonded title way.

Im gonna make some phone calls tomorrow.

I experienced something similar with a MSO that had California Model. I bought the bike from AAFES new bike sales in Germany. I failed to sign a customs document. So when I arrived at the Hood County Courthouse I was told I had to have the bike certified for US registration. A trip out to the customs office at DFW airport. Luckily for me the agent was familiar with vehicles from Europe belonging to Soldiers. Instead of noise and emissions testing he asked to see my USEURA registration, verified the VIN, and said wait ten minutes. I was on my way back for plates. So long as it passes whatever tests customs has, you should be able to get it registered.

hmm. seems like maybe that was done by the previous purchaser to evade paying registration and tax. Claimed it was going over the border.
So if it is a street bike and has the Federal emissions label on it, it should be okay to get titled and registered for use in the US.

Texas dmv center here said its not eligible for a bonded title.

Called New mexicos dmv center and after awhile your super said it would need to be inspected by DOT to make sure its US complient and that should take off the export only stamp.

Gonna give them a call now.

Back