• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Toggle switch for battery disconnect?

Rydah

Who's ready to ride some dirt?!
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Needing some electrical experts advice here (since I am definitely not one!). I would like to install a battery disconnect switch, but don't want the common type that attaches to the battery itself, since my battery resides under my seat. I'd prefer to extend the negative wire going to my battery, run it to a convenient spot, and install a toggle switch inline. Anyone done anything like this? What kind of rating(s) would I be needing for such a switch? Any (pardon the pun) negatives to watch out for? Thanks in advance.

Yep, I figured I would, but just don't know what that number is. The problem I have with the type you show is I know I'll lose the darn removable key! It also doesn't show the amperage rating, but I'm sure it's high if it's designed for automotive use. I was looking at something like this, so it could be mounted on a dash (a bit more esthetically pleasing):

Amps on this example is 100A, but they are available in larger ratings as well. They also grow in size as the rating goes up though. Any idea what the minimum safe rating I should look for?

Any idea what kind of amps draw I would need? This is just for my CRF450L, btw. Can't imagine I'd be drawing over 100A, and it's rated for 500A cranking.

I don’t know what the inrush would be but cranking would be under 100A.

I have two of the ones you show on the RV, one for house batteries and one on chassis batteries. The house battery load isn’t that much but the chassis batteries start a 400HP Cummins diesel.

Instead of a switch I would prefer a simple plug. Use an SAE male/female or similar on the battery ground?

Instead of a switch I would prefer a simple plug. Use an SAE male/female or similar on the battery ground?
Yeah, that would definitely be the simple method, but I'd still worry about the current rating. That would be one stout SAE plug with 10 gauge wire!

Duh! Just looked up my battery specs, and it's rated for 140 CCA. The switch I referenced above is rated for 500 cranking amps, and continuous 100A. Anyone see an issue with this that I'm missing?

DO NOT turn it off while bike is running if you like your charging system unless you do some fancy wiring. Other than that, it is very straight-forward for low amp application like yours. BTW every NHRA/IHRA go-fast drag car has similar disconnect / kill switch at back of car

DO NOT turn it off while bike is running if you like your charging system unless you do some fancy wiring. Other than that, it is very straight-forward for low amp application like yours. BTW every NHRA/IHRA go-fast drag car has similar disconnect / kill switch at back of car
Good to know; thanks. Explain?

Good to know; thanks. Explain?
Won’t go into exact science but basically battery is big voltage stabilizer (like a big rock) and charge system only puts out a small amount juice so battery stabilizes voltage. If you remove battery, charging system voltage can spike in electrical system. Much like a little hammer on big rock. Hammer hits rock and stops - no rock and hammer keeps going

So key off first, then disconnect. Check. Thanks.

A Anderson plug comes in big and small , the small is 50 amp the big 300 amp , similar to a golf cart charging plug . I use them all the time for quick disconnect battery plugs . The 50 amp would be a good to do what your talking about untill that one time when nobody is around and your stuck in BFE with no phone service or kick starter when it doesn’t work , 12 gauge battery cables would be pushing you luck . the 300 amp plug uses 1/0 gauge cables and is way too big . A 75 amp relay would be fine for starting and running and could be triggered with a toggle switch . Similar to a old ford starter relay but made for continuous use .

Last edited:
Long time ago I was running the roads and around town a lot so I put a battery disconnect switch in my truck as a little extra safety measure , hidden under the hood , my radio would loose all the presets when I disconnected the battery . So I added a 16 gauge wire to keep the radio powered when the battery was turned off . one morning after a long night I forgot to turn the battery switch back on . Can’t believe that 16 gauge wire started my truck and got me all the way home . Had to put a 10 amp fuse in it . Caterpillar machinery has had a disconnect switch from the beginning of caterpillar electric start machines , it has a steel removable key and will last the life of the machine , those are the ones I like .

A 75 amp relay would be fine for starting and running and could be triggered with a toggle switch . Similar to a old ford starter relay but made for continuous use .
I use those 75A “can” relays on my old diesel tractors for all electrics but starter circuit. I use oil pressure switch to trigger relay. Start tractor, oil pressure comes up and presto, you got electronics. Pull injector pump fuel cut-off cable, engine dies, electronics turn off, small toggle for bypass. No keys, no dead battery, no one knows why tractor won’t start with “choke” pulled out🤣

Here's another option I've used. This allows you to mount a small switch wherever you like to connect/disconnect the battery.
Switch

Now that's what I'm talkin 'bout! Duh, why didn't I think of a relay? So can this particular one be placed inline with my negative cable, a disconnect? Most all relays I've seen (including this one's diagram) show using the positive side, or does it really matter? Sorry, but my brain if fried afer getting home super late last night from Houston SX. Thanks, RG.

Which ever cable is most convieniant to cut into always makes that decision for me . remember your control switch has to be wired direct to the battery .

Here is one way starter solenoid with key or toggle switch. This is for a riding lawn mower 25 hp.. it will disconnect battery every time you turn power off to it. They even have chrome ones. One spade to ground other to hot on battery positive terminal with toggle or key switch . Then battery positive cable feed to one bolt and other to positive on battery. If you forget to turn it off it would drain battery just like leaving key on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205-102309.png
    Screenshot_20230205-102309.png
    284 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Back