• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Top 50 BBQ Tour

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
I bailed on the Grand Tour of Texas this year, after completing all 50 spots the first two years. Too many sponsors, repeats, and no reason to visit a leather shop in Borger again. Ever.

About the time I wrapped up the tour last year, the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ magazine landed in my mailbox. A list with 50 spots? And BBQ? Hmmm...

I reached out to TM in January, specifically to the BBQ guy there, Daniel Vaughn, to see if they wanted to get involved in a Top 50 BBQ Tour. Mr. Vaughn was so impressed with the idea that he never bothered to reply! In February, I reached out to a Senior VP there in the marketing space, and she was so impressed that she passed me on to an underling! I responded to her request for more details with how I would run a Top 50 BBQ Tour, and she was so impressed with my response that I had to follow up three weeks later, after having heard nothing! The final TM response was that they don't have the bandwidth to do it this year, but if I wanted to, I could bring it up again next year.

Ahhh... no. Not my magazine, not my list, wouldn't be my Tour.

But if you are interested in what TM is not, I mapped out the Top 50 spots in Garmin's BaseCamp, and have attached the .ghx file.

If you should take on this mission, do it knowing:

- There is no fee.
- There is no patch for completion.
- There are no sponsors.
- There is no organizer.
- There is no timeline, other than get it done before the next TM Top 50, which should come out in November of 2025.
- There is no stop in Lockhart, which might be blasphemy.

There are also apps to help you with the stops.

Apple
https://apps.apple.com/.../texas-monthly-bbq.../id412473677

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details...

Here is the article, and if you decide to take on the challenge, have fun and keep the rubber side down!
https://www.texasmonthly.com/interactive/top-50-bbq-2021/

GPX viewer

Attachments

• TM Top 50 BBQ.GPX
    57.7 KB · Views: 152
Looks like fun and bad on the waste line.

Since I have already finished this year's GTT I may have to hit a few of these.

Thanks for doing this.

Interesting, gotta average more than one per week.

Would be interesting to do next year with a small addition. I did my first SS1K to a BBQ place outside of Memphis. Was thinking about a return trip next year as they celebrate being in business for 100 years. Could be fun.

Let's see: Minimum $12/stop. That would be at least a $600.00 hidden entry fee. But one can make payments over time.

No obligation to spend anything, and doing so won’t put you ahead of anyone except the person in line behind you! 😆

Would be interesting to do next year with a small addition. I did my first SS1K to a BBQ place outside of Memphis. Was thinking about a return trip next year as they celebrate being in business for 100 years. Could be fun.

Depending on where you live, most are in the large metros, making it pretty easy to hit a lot of them at once. I won’t partake in the food at too many myself, as I smoke a mean brisket here at the house.

How can you go to a BBQ joint and not eat? I think it's a state law. Right up there with not carrying wire cutters in your back pocket. Remember that one?

Well, like I said, I prefer my own cooking most times. A recent brisket...

1651235054189.png

1651235077652.png

1651235094848.png

Gregorian calendar has 52 weeks in a year. But that is still quite the commitment to make; one/wk.

I could see banging out the top 10, one/month in a year. 4 of the top 10 are in the Austin+ area. 3 for DFW and the remaining are spread to Lubbock, SATX, H-town.

Gregorian calendar has 52 weeks in a year. But that is still quite the commitment to make; one/wk.

I could see banging out the top 10, one/month in a year. 4 of the top 10 are in the Austin+ area. 3 for DFW and the remaining are spread to Lubbock, SATX, H-town.

Ya got me, don't know what I was thinking there.

Fellas. You missed my mention that the only timeline for completion is before the next Top 50 is published. It’s like the Olympics, every 4 years, and the next list will be in November of 2025, if TM is still in business…

The TOP 50 BBQ doesn't have a stop in Lockhart?!!!? How many stops are at McD for a McRib?
Hey, what's wrong with McRibs? I'd rather have one of those than some of the bbq joints around Austin, (Rudy's, I'm looking at you). :-)

I remember when you could get a brisket on sale for 39¢ a pound. That's been a few years now. And it wasn't Prime or Choice either.

I chuckle at the folks that buy Wagyu brisket. It's still brisket.

I went to Goldies BBQ (the current Texas Monthly number 1) once. It was Sunday about 30 minutes before opening. The line was already substantial. So we went elsewhere. I guess I’ll need to try again.

I went to Goldies BBQ (the current Texas Monthly number 1) once. It was Sunday about 30 minutes before opening. The line was already substantial. So we went elsewhere. I guess I’ll need to try again.

That's what happens. I went to Snow's right after they were named #1 a few lists back, and there wasn't much left after 10am. I leaned that they do a set aside of up to 30% of their product if you call ahead, starting Monday, for the following Saturday.

Back