• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Top 50 Motorcycle Roads 2018

Sounds like I need to get to Colorado and North Carolina.

Thanks for posting.

I have ridden a few of those roads too :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Number 2? Well that's one way of putting it. It's fun, it's popular here, but better than most of the other roads? I've ridden better roads just to get to some of the roads they have on their list. But I re-read the author's criteria, and I feel he was limited to the data available to him, and drew a conclusion that others wouldn't based on their own style of riding, experience, etc. So, I like the rest of the list, and if it gets me out the door to ride some of the new ones for me, the list has done its job.

Number 2? Well that's one way of putting it. It's fun, it's popular here, but better than most of the other roads? I've ridden better roads just to get to some of the roads they have on their list. But I re-read the author's criteria, and I feel he was limited to the data available to him, and drew a conclusion that others wouldn't based on their own style of riding, experience, etc. So, I like the rest of the list, and if it gets me out the door to ride some of the new ones for me, the list has done its job.

No idea how they get picked. Deals Gaps would probably be in the 30's or 40's on my list. Not sure number 2 would be in my top 50 at all.

Can you give us your top 5 or 10, Rich?

I need to formulate a plan of attack on this deal :)

I have been using that motorcycle roads website for a few years to help plan some rides, and have checked off a few of these.

1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 11, 12, 16, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 29, 33, 34, 37, 39, and 45.

Not as many as Rich, but I like the website it is a decent way to find some good roads to ride when you are heading out of state.

The Dragon isn't close to being number one. It's just popular with a lot of crashes and people in over their heads holding everyone else up. Been there, done that, won't do it again. There are many better choices in that area. But, I'll keep those to myself.

Those rankings look like they are strictly popularity based. Voted by whom? Just because a road is popular doesn't make it good.

Last edited:
I've ridden several. My favorite is #27, Lolo Pass. My favorite might have been number 20 if it hadn't been raining so doggone hard.

Hmmm... I've done a lot more of those than I would have thought. I've never managed to get out to California or the PNW. Likewise, I've never managed to get up into New England. Most everything in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Arkansas, North and South Carolina, and North Georgia I have done. The BEST thing about this list is that ALL the roads are paved!! No need getting the good dirt roads all crowded :trust:

It would be interesting to know how they rank them. It would also be interesting to see their total list of candidate roads. Like many folks, Deal's Gap is pretty far down on my list, probably not even in the top 50. NC 209 is up there though and I wish they had not mentioned it :doh: There are TONS of really awesome little paved back roads all over that area that seem almost no traffic and are not patrolled like Deal's Gap. I didn't see the Cherohala Skyway on there? It is right by Deal's Gap.

I guess if all we are going by is the fun factor and maybe scenery, but TOTALLY ignoring how crowded some roads can get, then including the Twisted Sisters (FMs 335, 336, and 337) in the Texas Hill Country makes sense :shrug: I quit going out there a long time ago because it just got so ridiculously crowded that it wasn't any fun unless you could get out there during a weekday.

I can tell I've got Blinders on. Never been anywhere near all those roads "Up-East" .
I need to take a couple of seasons and just stay out of Arkansas and away from the Rocky Mountains and check off some of these other Top roads.

I sure do love me some Rocky Mountains though.....

It's good to see these list of good roads but would not think the 3 Sisters would make the cut.

Back