• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15

DSC04701_zpsq47ydtaw.jpg

DSC04702_zpslsivrcee.jpg

DSC04703_zpsclnbdqkk.jpg

DSC04704_zpstirs3iku.jpg

DSC04705_zpsxz3jfwbi.jpg

DSC04706_zpsekczuhfr.jpg

Does anyone have a route map? Curious where all this good country is located???
There's a GPS route linked in the first post that shows the route we rode. All North East of Huntsville. Loads of dirt roads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks Scott, good timing on weather and road conditions. Great day!

Some pics

More random shots from the ride. Click the pic for full size.

Video should be done tomorrow.

i-H63bTfc-L.jpg

i-B93pcpd-L.jpg

i-HfG8xpj-L.jpg

i-4bVtVpZ-L.jpg

i-7xwHFvk-L.jpg

i-rtVgXHn-L.jpg

i-bC4ZSFk-L.jpg

i-DrNRwhB-L.jpg

i-sJWRJS8-L.jpg

i-8XxJ93G-L.jpg

i-Zrn8RGd-L.jpg

i-RhkNRfJ-L.jpg

i-ZTQWBkL-L.jpg

i-pg2bJxL-L.jpg

Thanks again for an awesome session of two wheeled therapy.

Re: Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15 - RIDE FULL!!

Great pics! Looking forward to the video, hope you got my little nap :D

Great pics! Looking forward to the video, hope you got my little nap :D

Unfortunately no, the battery was dead by then. . . But I promise I will always remember it. :mrgreen: Still working on the video trying to get the best quality out of the edit.

Nap?

Well, it must not have been too bad because I don't remember ever having to wait very long for the group to reform at any of the intersections where I waited :thumb:

Not too bad, it was my first (told you guys I have no dirt experience). Was following a little too close, and grabbed a little too much brake in the mud. Good for the ego, too bad it wasn't captured on video :D

I did not realize you had no dirt experience!! In light of that, I am impressed you did so well! However, as cool as I think your "Scrambler" is, it did not look like it was ideally setup for that kind of riding at the pace we were running. Next time, if your brother can't come, bum his KLR off of him :-P

Man, I have to say, I am SORE! :lol2: I did not realize how bad my suspension was beating me to death. Sunday and Monday my arms, shoulders, and thighs were killing me! It hurt just to move :doh: It felt like those times when you hit the gym after a long break and the next day you regretted it... Obviously, I need to ride more :mrgreen:

Moving picture show!!!

Not sure how to embed a video on this forum, so click this picture to watch the video. It's just over 4 minutes. No music but that of the wind and the engines. Everybody made it on camera at some point I'm pretty sure.

And no, it isn't meant to be chronological, just a good sampling of all the different stuff we got to ride on with an emphasis on footage that includes more than just an empty road. Enjoy!

i-Gh9wGnf-XL.jpg

:tab By the way, I updated the GPX file originally shared in this thread to reflect the actual route we rode. If you want it, just use the same attachment link. It should give you the new file instead of the original.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36296&d=1448420947

The biggest changes were coming out of Crockett on Hwy 7. The road South of 7 was a dead end. So now it just takes 7 to the edge of the forest and then makes a left turn to follow the edge of the forest. The other change is because of our stop in Ratcliff and the dirt road we did after the stop. I also added a dirt road on the North side of 7 that runs from where we hit 7 back to town. We didn't actually ride that road.

Has anyone ridden this route recently? I plan to use it to get from new Waverley to Rusk on Saturday and then back again that afternoon.

:tab Not me. Given the crazy rains in the last month or so, some of those roads might be in rough condition if the FS hasn't gone in and done any maintenance. There were some stretches that would be long deep mud baths if they are still wet.

I rode it a month ago and it wasn't bad. A few sections of washboard and some monster holes to watch for. Anderson crossing is closed because of the river being up so high. Some pics ..
9c1fb5b0985b8502fd5f5732c8755b20.jpg

70f80440a8ec9edcf58dcba9aac62a5d.jpg
ff30129b97f482c421b8f9154bdc6fae.jpg
52705e654151136bf8f10e27ba9e1cbe.jpg

Last edited:
It was fantastic yesterday. Sand was mostly packed and moist, no real muddy sections. Had a few surprises like the ditch across the road. Pretty fun at 50mph! 320 miles for the day, left Rusk around 4pm and made it back at dusk.

Thanks for sharing the route Tourmeister! I Did the East side first, and it was my favorite.

2cd38e5aab3d4a67403ac669b598562d.jpg

580e9a6f8b9e51da06e2c186b4e60eff.jpg

a277d87d6e9840f1e1727d655586f785.jpg

Saw 2 snakes on the road, plus this viper leaving the gas station in Ratcliff.

76af35b025a1329a4668fa9b8c32eca0.jpg

All that looks amazing! Do you have a .gpx of the trip?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Glad to see this brought back to my memory. Was one of the funnest adv rides I've done, only the Ark. ones beat it.

Back