• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tour of the Davy Crockett NF 12/05/15

I prefer to go shopping ... said no motorcycle rider ever! What are you riding?

Someone please tell me more about this route....Anyone been up there lately?

Been a while since I was last up there. There are some places with fun sand. There might be some mud if it has rained recently. I usually ride it two up on my 1200 GS, so not super technical.

Do you have the total mileage and time needed to complete it?

Do you have the total mileage and time needed to complete it?

See this post,

I was actually just thinking I might run this or a similar route on Black Friday if the weather is decent. I usually get that day free.

Link to GPX here,

The GPX file should give you distance. As for time, it really depends on conditions and how fast you ride. If I were leaving Huntsville to do the ride, I would leave here around 9:00am and probably be home around 5-7pm depending on how the ride went.

I'm interested if a ride comes together.

Scott, I'm curious if you could let me know about the best parts in there. I'd be coming down from Palestine and would like to ride down some scenic dirt roads in that area.

Well, the Voodoo Weather People now say theres only a 30% chance of rain tomorrow which is about normal for this part of Texas all summer long.

I'm game.....:rider::coffee:

Some pics

More random shots from the ride. Click the pic for full size.

Video should be done tomorrow.

View attachment 203085

View attachment 203086

View attachment 203087

View attachment 203088
So Daniel and I were out riding last weekend and this muddy section is all hard packed gravel now. You could probably ride it in the rain without much trouble. It is South of FM 1280 and just West of FM 3151 and North of FM 2915. Many of the sections running back over toward Lovelady that used to be deep sand now have lots of gravel that has been pressed down into the sand. The sand is still there, it just isn't deep and loose like it used to be. The county has really been laying down the gravel like crazy the last few years, so the fun sandy sections are disappearing. This was especially true East of Lovelady on CR 4200 heading toward Pennington where that old building is located. There is an S curve there that used to be crazy deep and loose sand. Not any more. It is now a gravel bed almost 18" thick! We did not get out past Pennington so I have no idea what the rest of the route is like, but we did encounter two other TWT members in Pennington that were on the home bound leg of the route and they said it was fine.

So Daniel and I were out riding last weekend and this muddy section is all hard packed gravel now. You could probably ride it in the rain without much trouble. It is South of FM 1280 and just West of FM 3151 and North of FM 2915. Many of the sections running back over toward Lovelady that used to be deep sand now have lots of gravel that has been pressed down into the sand. The sand is still there, it just isn't deep and loose like it used to be. The county has really been laying down the gravel like crazy the last few years, so the fun sandy sections are disappearing. This was especially true East of Lovelady on CR 4200 heading toward Pennington where that old building is located. There is an S curve there that used to be crazy deep and loose sand. Not any more. It is now a gravel bed almost 18" thick! We did not get out past Pennington so I have no idea what the rest of the route is like, but we did encounter two other TWT members in Pennington that were on the home bound leg of the route and they said it was fine.
Whole route was great. Because of the recent rain and vehicle traffic, the roads were nicely packed. Hard to predict the sand depth during drier times.

Back