• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tow Rigs - Let's See What You've Got

Reaction score
Since the Emma Long ride thread recently got side tracked with tow rig posts (myself guilty) I thought it would be cool to see what folks are using to haul their dirt bikes to ride areas. I know most will be pickups with or without trailers but let's see how you get to the play areas.

I'll start with my first long distance tow rig (copied from the Emma Long thread):

This was my tow rig to the Lake City Colorado area for a few years. 2 WR450F's and a ridding buddy traveling with me in 2011 & 2012. The Civic is a stick so no transmission heat issues, brakes were another matter at times. Avg mpg was in the mid 20's, highs were from Santa Fe up and over passes to Lake City low-mid 30's (no ac needed), lowest was upper teens coming back on IH10 from Fort Stockton to Kerrville using the ac. Trunk was loaded with riding gear for two guys and the back seat was loaded with clothes and such. Going up big hills there were a few turtles passing us. :rofl:

civic%20and%20trailer_cropped_zpsfxxy80ib.jpg

Last edited:
The Adventure Crown Vicky (Classifieds, here) with the little Featherlite (ADVRider FM) can DO IT! :trust:

Or I could break out the Big Guys. (the old 'burban was a parts donor that was not needed so it's gone.)

Attachments

• DSC01326.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 294
The Wagon Train

This is the tow rig from last year. Tech51 & I went to Moab UT for a week and then over to Salida (& Sargents) CO for a week. I call it the "Wagon Train" for obvious reasons.

Mods to the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee are an auxiliary trans cooler, air bags in the back, and a brake controller. Trailer sway controls are a must on both trailers. I took off once without tightening them up and quickly pulled over to correct my mistake. :doh: It was not fun. :shock:

The pop-up is lifted 3" with 15" wheels replacing the stock 14" ones. We (Tech51) added a hitch to the back for the utility trailer. In between the bikes is a generator which came in handy boon dock camping. I estimate the two trailers added up to just shy of 6k lbs which is under the towing capacity of the Jeep.

MPG wasn't too bad. Lows around 11 with a few tanks getting 14. The only thing I didn't like driving it over was Monarch Pass in CO. Going up the west side and down the east side is something that I would avoid repeating at all cost if possible.

All in all I was impressed with how well it towed and traveled. Total trip mileage was about 3,400 miles.

Wagon%20Train_cropped_zpsyqmmxccw.jpg

Last edited:
This was my wife's CRV with my FJR.

20140308_090437_zps4282b8b6.jpg

I traded in the MINI and got my wife a new Accord. I got the CRV. It should tow dirt bikes well enough if it handles Miss Piggy as seen in the above photo. I will be needing to swap my single Kendon for a Dual Kendon before next year when Junior upgrades his dirtbike. For now the CRF50F can ride in the cargo area of the CRV, it's that small. I'll either go with a dual Kendon or just pick me up a pickup truck. There's a certain amount of simplicity in just tossing the dirt bike(s) in the back of the truck as opposed to hauling a trailer around.

We've discussed putting a hitch on mama's new V6 Accord. I did get a sideways look when I brought it up. We are staying near the Dragon for our summer vacation and I WILL bring the bike. She told me I could ride the bike there. That idea has merits all it's own. :D

... I'll either go with a dual Kendon or just pick me up a pickup truck. There's a certain amount of simplicity in just tossing the dirt bike(s) in the back of the truck as opposed to hauling a trailer around. ...

Not the least of that being essentially no impact on fuel mileage with bikes in the pickup bed, versus a drop from 21-22mpg w/o trailer in the Adv CV down to 11-12 with trailer and 2-3 bikes on it. Folding the tailgate/ramp down and putting the bikes on top of it (carry a small ramp for loading/off-loading) bumps it back up to ~16/ That folding ramp on the F'lite (same as on an Aluma, dunno the effect of the expended metal ones like those from TSC or ????) is like towing a BARN around!!!

Yes, mpg is much better using just a truck, forgot to mention that.

Also forgot to include my first ever tow vehicle. I've posted it before but it's a good one.

mr2tow_zpsbc2b0fc7.jpg

Pulled great, but stopping was kind of :eek2:
Would have stopped better with the bigger brakes put on later year models. Even still.

I replaced it with my all time most hated vehicle.

IMG_1723_zps724c1b20.jpg

I simply could not wait to get rid of that hunk of junk. I can't believe me and DancesWithCurves actually made it back to our side of the metroplex across flat roads from a trackday.

rangertow_zpsaf08ec71.jpg

Had to get her DR-Z from Houston to Austin, the Jeep did okay, a bit squirrelly up front if I got going 80 on I-10

kt1rGV0h.jpg

qoTvby1h.jpg

Then bought a truck for easier transport. Took this setup to NY for a two week summer vaca. Did great for the 5k miles, about 12 mpg all around. DR-Z sumo and DR650

MLilIqf.jpg

I bought the hitch hauler when I still had a one ton truck and it had no problem supporting two dirtbikes on it. I don't dare do that with the Jeep's hitch.

dirtroad_zpsvkugcnhr.jpg

I rebuilt this one about 10-12 years ago. Bought the trailer for $350, put another couple of hundred into it. I originally rebuilt this for hauling dirt bikes, but I use it for hauling everything from my bikes to dirt. It was originally rated at a 1/2 ton, but with the reinforced springs, heavy axle, and other improvements I did, it'll carry about 3/4 ton.

Short tongue. This pig would whip around at freeway speeds and was actually scary to tow.

P0003831.jpg

Old plywood deck. Out it came.
P0003833.jpg

Stripped to frame, reinforced certain areas, welded on tie downs. Prepping for pain.
P0003838.jpg

Tongue extension using a 4x4 3/16" mild steel and a stick welder.
P0003840.jpg

Fitting the new gate.
P0003851.jpg

After paint and new plywood siding. It doesn't look this nice anymore, even after new plywood a couple times.
P0003868.jpg

Added a storage box and put down 2x6 pressure treated lumber.
P0003870.jpg

28-30 mpg loaded. I've since upgraded to a Kendon.

Work deliveries

Toshiba063.jpg

Play

Temp034_zps3016f915.jpg

Long distance hauling. Yin and yang loading.

2013-11-24080822_zpsb0ec11b1.jpg

_

I keep waiting for bigdon55 to school on on tow rigs.

One of the best trips ever. Jeep Rubicon (13 MPG no matter what) and the Gasgas 450 on a 2 week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. Wife drove the jeep and I rode the bike. We talked with walkie-talkies.

The jeep never noticed the weight of the trailer.

Attachments

• P1040386.jpg
    P1040386.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Hard to beat a Sprinter van. Good for just throwing everything into it. It can also tow and it's great for sleeping in. 20 MPG.
With 3 bikes inside and two on a trailer.

Attachments

• P1050355.jpg
    P1050355.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 269
  • CAM01572.jpg
    CAM01572.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Back