• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tow Rigs - Let's See What You've Got

Where can you buy a bus?

I was told - years ago - that Houston was going to auction off a bunch of the city busses and that the trick was to know someone who worked on them who could tell you which were the "good ones" and which to avoid. The guy who told me that had worked on them for years.

Seen a place off Hempstead and 290 that sells a bus or two.
Always tempted to stop in there when i come to town.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.

There's a place on the south side of I-10, a few miles past the Trinity River if heading east, that has a huge lot of old school buses for sale.

Seen a place off Hempstead and 290 that sells a bus or two.
Always tempted to stop in there when i come to town.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.

Not there anymore. Was in front of "Hemwick Place" between Telge and Huffmeister.

I was told - years ago - that Houston was going to auction off a bunch of the city busses and that the trick was to know someone who worked on them who could tell you which were the "good ones" and which to avoid. The guy who told me that had worked on them for years.

They were great when new. 20 years ago, the Metro busses had 677 ci I-6 Detroit 60 series engines and 700 series Allison trannys. Still old school with the worm track valve body. A bullet proof combo. Can't speak for how good the Metro mechanics were though.

www.publicsurplus.com always has busses for auction, open to anyone and easy to register. Good useable transit buses can be had for $5 - 10k. Just research well and buy one you can register as an rv and drive without a cdl. I'll be selling my 1960 silver bus this fall for around $8k with 4 cylinder diesel generator, a/c heat and full bath with shower.

IMG_0175%20Small.jpg

IMG_0175A%20small.jpg

My first tow rig. I rode it up and down. This was a trip to Arkansas circa 1993. I was slim and would not wear an untucked shirt.

20071119%20Tennessee%206s.jpg

My second rig. I also towed this trailer behind my truck, but I try to keep them light so the van can haul them without problems. This was a trip to N. Carolina and the Dragon in 2007. Maybe tucked in shirts aren't all they're cracked up to be. I don't have any pictures of the current rig yet.

Very hard to beat the all-round usefulness of a utility trailer. Not as secure as an enclosed but much handier for a homeowner.

After Camping for Sat and Sunday.... Enjoyed a sandwich before leaving Barnwell. I guess Barnwell was a picnic area before it was an off road park. Their are several spots with fire pits, grills, and picnic areas when you come in and the road bends around and its paved. The graffiti dates to 1976 that I saw. A nice place to eat. You could likely put a tent there and its pretty protected from the wind by the trees.

d6bc93456d24c3dfeeb2e6b247f232bd.jpg

Everything is packed between the bikes. Two gear bags, gas cans, cooler, Tent, 2 chairs, bin of camping stuff, Bin of riding chemicals (fluids, tubes, pre-mix oil, etc..), and a small tool bag. Ramp is between the bikes and the side wall, and the stool is for my short legs so I can the bikes in the back of the truck. I have a tie down keeping it all in place. Packs in there pretty well. I used the 6 man tent which has seen better days. I also have a nice truck tent, but need to get one of the plastic pieces on it replaced. I have a nice hard bin that it goes into. I also need to by a specific queen mattress for it that has cut outs for the wheel well. That and a nice queen size sleeping bag nad it will work out better for two.

Last edited:
Twobiker.... Love that truck. I also like the bike. I had a 06 450exc. Great bike, but just a bit heavy. Always wanted a 69 to 72 pickup. I'd bet the low tailgate height and long bed make that great bike hauler.

Thanks! I picked it up for a steal about 6 years ago, plated and inspected but spray painted with a Misfits skull on the hood. I sanded it down, did body work for 4 years and then painted it in my garage. Finally got it back on the road about 2 months ago. It's the perfect hauler for local dirt bike trips!!

I like the 450 but I've never ridden a 300 2 smoker. I'm trying to put off riding one for as long as possible because that's how you end up buying one.

Thanks! I picked it up for a steal about 6 years ago, plated and inspected but spray painted with a Misfits skull on the hood. I sanded it down, did body work for 4 years and then painted it in my garage. Finally got it back on the road about 2 months ago. It's the perfect hauler for local dirt bike trips!!

I like the 450 but I've never ridden a 300 2 smoker. I'm trying to put off riding one for as long as possible because that's how you end up buying one.

I've got a KX250 smoker set-up for woods, and a KTM 200 exc in the garage if you ever want to try one out we can meet at Emma Long. Not the 300, but light and quick.

Back