• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tow Rigs - Let's See What You've Got

Current rig
20210414_130228.jpg

i'll play...i bought this car brand new, drove my newborn home from hospital in it, so i can't seem to - don't want to - part w/ it.
i have other sets of wheels to get around, so i only use this car to tow light duty. it's got a stick shift. :thumb:
Mex-Trek-CC21-50-1.jpg

20210321-081043.jpg

Last edited:
That is my set up when I picked up my bike in Mississippi last year. Left at 4.00 Am and got stuck in Lake Charles on the bridge for about 2 hours on the way home. But made it back the same day.
33A0438A-BE87-485E-9532-D401513A2945.jpeg
997A3191-2FDC-429F-A7B3-D31CA2FC94F5.jpeg

My rig for the recent trip to Colorado to leave the tow rig and ride to the rally in Great Falls.
IMG_8396.png

When did you upgrade to that!?!?! That is one clean looking setup!
Thanks Bill, picked it up the first of the year. Been living n it the last 8 weeks while the house got renovated. We move back to the house this week.

Not my current bike, but if I go riding without my wife and kiddo, I take the car.

Attachments

• 20201009_182239.jpg
    20201009_182239.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 150
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the loop in Lake Charles, either direction!!! Like that trailer, where did you get it?
yup, learned my lesson. It is a CargoMax 8-57. Love this little trailer as well. Has a 1800 lbs load capacity and tilts as well. All aluminum construction. So easy to load and unload, only weights 290 lbs empty. So I am able to keep it in my backyard. Pretty much indestructible. Great videos on YouTube. They have different sizes. There is a dealer close to Austin. One of only 2 in Texas.

After 6+ years of traveling with 2 people and 3 dogs in a 6'x12' cargo trailer converted to a dry camper, we upgraded this past November. We just got back from a quick 3 days up in NE New Mexico earlier today with it.
Now that is a sweet set-up.

Anybody have a toy hauler RV? Been researching them a lot the last few weeks and I am ready to pull the trigger when the right deal comes along.. Already ordered the WD hitch and it arrived today...

Converted horse trailer? Where and what brand?
I just saw this! Sorry for the super duper late reply. It is made by Sundowner so most folks mistake it for a horse trailer (which I actually like). It is a purpose built toy hauler that so far we love and have zero regrets with it. We use it fairly often between the motorcycle trips and the shooting competitions, and then just general traveling. So far we have had it since November and we are about to take trip number 7 in it.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

IMG_8589.jpg
IMG_7972.jpg

I just saw this! Sorry for the super duper late reply. It is made by Sundowner so most folks mistake it for a horse trailer (which I actually like). It is a purpose built toy hauler that so far we love and have zero regrets with it. We use it fairly often between the motorcycle trips and the shooting competitions, and then just general traveling. So far we have had it since November and we are about to take trip number 7 in it.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

Just curious how you secure the bikes? I dont see any tie-downs..

Just curious how you secure the bikes? I dont see any tie-downs..
That photo from the rear of the trailer was when we very first got it so it didn't have the e-track in it. We have a single section of e-track mounted 9' from the tail. We have two wheel chocks that mount to the e-track as well as straps. As soon as the bikes are out, all of that mess unhooks in a matter of minutes and we flop the rug down over it. You can kind of see the e-track on this post.

I call the new trailer Shammo. It is a snowmobile trailer with large ramps front and back. This is the new Colorado tow setup so I can haul motorcycles, the Polaris ranger crew, mountain bikes and all the crap for wife, dogs and who knows what else may happen. Sadly I seem to only get about 10 to 12 MPG until I get up in altitude then the MPG goes up to 14 or so.

It came bare wood, I painted the inside, put down a once piece rubber floor and added ETrack on the floor and sides. It is a sweet setup and the ability to load and unload from front and back is sweet. Also it has great airflow with both doors open...

The orange brackets on the side are wheel chocks that click into the etrack. The trailer is wide enough you can put the bikes in at a angle or a full 90 degrees to maximize space. Heck I bet you could get 20 bikes in at once if you wanted too.

Attachments

• 20210806_183615431_iOS.jpg
    20210806_183615431_iOS.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210806_184539288_iOS.jpg
    20210806_184539288_iOS.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210806_184606373_iOS.jpg
    20210806_184606373_iOS.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20210806_184632283_iOS.jpg
    20210806_184632283_iOS.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 146
That photo from the rear of the trailer was when we very first got it so it didn't have the e-track in it. We have a single section of e-track mounted 9' from the tail. We have two wheel chocks that mount to the e-track as well as straps. As soon as the bikes are out, all of that mess unhooks in a matter of minutes and we flop the rug down over it. You can kind of see the e-track on this post.
That is a super nice setup, I sort of wished I held out for a gooseneck, that is a nice setup!

That is a super nice setup, I sort of wished I held out for a gooseneck, that is a nice setup!
Thank you! We looked for a LONG time to find it. And by a long time I mean literally 3 times a day, every day, for over 8 months. I had a list of places to search and I would hit those up first thing in the morning, at lunch, and again in the evening. It was well worth the search effort.

I don't know if I'll ever pull a bumper pull ever again unless I just have no other choice. This thing pulls so nice. It is stable as all get out, and I hardly even know it is back there. I've had two blowouts on it before I got smarter and put real tires on it, and even with those blowouts the trailer never even moved.

Very nice DFW, I had a toy hauler and it was ok but... left a lot to be desired. I guess its like buying a bike, you learn what you don't like and make a note for the next. The biggest thing with all campers seems to be lightweight construction and poor craftsmanship and components. There are so many options out there its tough to navigate.

Very nice DFW, I had a toy hauler and it was ok but... left a lot to be desired. I guess its like buying a bike, you learn what you don't like and make a note for the next. The biggest thing with all campers seems to be lightweight construction and poor craftsmanship and components. There are so many options out there its tough to navigate.

What did you get and what in particular did you like/not like? I rented a Jayco Octane 273 earlier this year and my half ton did well with my FJR and Vstrom in the RV.

By renting we learned some things "worked" for us, some things didn't. I've been researching them for a few weeks now and have gone to several dealers to see them in person. I agree build quality is sub-par, and its discouraging what I have seen even on brand new units sitting on the lots.

Been meaning to start a new thread to see if anybody here has transitioned to at least part-time RVing and working remote...

What did you get and what in particular did you like/not like?
I'm also curious what you didn't like about it? So far we absolutely love ours. But ours is by no means a lightweight. All the cabinets are real wood, and the thing seems like it is built to last 20-30 years. The open floorplan takes a little bit to get used to as when the bikes are loaded it does cut into the living area, and well, your living room now has motorcycles in it. So it is something to work around for multi-day travels but the way it is laid out we still have 100% functionality even with the bikes in there.

All that being said, we had ruled out every single toy hauler other than an ATC, an older Work and Play, and these Sundowners. We couldn't find an older Work and Play that fit into our size requirements, we in no way could afford an ATC, so that left the Sundowners. But we didn't even look at the more normal ones that most folks buy as the quality wasn't what we wanted.

Back