• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Towns in Texas with the silliest names

Forgot all about Earth. A weatherman in Dallas years back told about being from there. Also if anyone is doing this upcoming IBA ride, they can detour and catch Yuppers while out there.:rider:

I have kinfolk in Earth. Just a hop and a skip from Springlake and two hops from Levelland and Muleshoe, or as the Yankees pronounce it, "MUL-is-ho".

This was fairly common back in the era when people rarely left their county. There was already a Porter, Oklahoma between Tulsa and Muskogee from Indian Territory times ....

Yep same with Reklaw, Tx it's Walker spelled backwards.

I think I even saw another town called China Grove in north Texas area too.
"At various times in Texas history, other small towns named China Grove - for local groves of chinaberry trees- have appeared and disappeared or have been renamed. This village [South Texas, Bexar County], on the other hand, was immortalized in the 1973 Doobie Brothers song China Grove about the residents of a "sleepy little town/down around San Antone." By the mid-1900's, the town was less sleepy as it began to participate in the San Antonio area's growth."

Muleshoe and More. The Remarkable Stories Behind the Naming of Texas Towns. 1999, Bill Bradfield and Clare Bradfield. Gulf Publishing Company: Houston.

Suggestion: this book occupy a space on bikes next to the Roads of Texas. Browse through it when stopping to eat pie or burgers, or sit a spell in the shade of a chinaberry tree.

Please do NOT forget that Rhome, Texas is halfway between Paradise and Garden of Eden....:trust:

Not sure where Garden of Eden is, but I do know that Flower Mound is East of us.

Oh and since southern China Grove was mentioned, (I re-read most of this and don't think it has been mentioned yet), I should point out that there is another China Grove Tx. My Aunt is from the China Grove up between Bohnam and Paris. So yea, there is one in North Texas.
My Ex's wife Parents are from Blossum Tx, It's between Paris and Detroit.
We're big city, I tell you! :jammin::drums:

At least we haven't any towns in Texas named Toomsuba! What's that all about? My wife and I laugh for miles every time we drive through that little town in Mississippi. TOOOOMB SU BAAaaaaaaa MISS is sip PPPPPEEEeeeeeeeeeeee!:rofl:

Are you sure that isn't Honey Grove? :ponder:

Now that you mention it, I think your right....

I've not been that way for almost twenty years.

Aunt Melonese died some time ago.

I stand corrected, Honey Grove is correct.

You do I retired don't you?
Must have been a Senior Moment.
I've been practicing!:eek2:

One of my favorites is Lazbuddie. No matter what type of accent you say it with, it 'sounds' Texan!!!!

Yep, there are duplicates of many city names, here and in other States as well. Even creek names are duplicated. But here's one town I just learned, while preparing for the TWT Game on FM signs: Twitty.

One of my favorites is Lazbuddie. No matter what type of accent you say it with, it 'sounds' Texan!!!!

Lazbuddie! I went to a pheasant hunt out there that benefitted the volunteer fire department. It benefitted ONLY the fire department, because there were no pheasant.

and the famous turkey, tx
I'm from there, and we always prided ourselves that Turkey was bigger than neighboring Quitaque. Kids would say "Quitaque means 'path of the setting sun' in Comanche." Our dads told us it was named for the sizable pile of horse apples accumulated from the Comanche ponies after winter camp on Quitaque Creek.

This was fairly common back in the era when people rarely left their county. There was already a Porter, Oklahoma between Tulsa and Muskogee from Indian Territory times so it had dibs on the name. I was born and my parents grew up in Altus not far from Retrop, there are a lot of those old place names that are a bit strange like Gotebo and Deyo.

So, would "Gotebo and Deyo" be Obetog and Oyed backwards? :lol2:

And funny I mentioned Twitty, as I just went through there on this recent trip. Maybe I should have been collecting pics of these town names as well.:rider:

And is Altus some twist on Tulsa?
Here are the origins from a book that I have.

From Oklahoma Place Names by George H. Shirk
County seat of Jackson County. Post office established October 27, 1890. From July 10, 1901, to May 27, 1904, the post office name was Leger. Its name comes from the Latin word meaning "high." the original town, Frazier, was built along low ground, and when it was destroyed by high water, the residents moved the new location to higher land.

From Oklahoma Place Names by George H. Shirk
County seat of Tulsa County. Post office established March 25, 1879, and now the states second largest city. Its name comes from Tulsey Town, an old Creek town in Alabama.

Looneyville is on FM 343. Also on FM343, just a little down the road from Looneyville, is Loco Valley. There's even a Loco Valley Volunteer Fire Department. The road markers for these two wild and crazy towns are so popular with teenagers, that TxDOT has long since given up trying to keep a sign up.

I wonder if they ever have arguments over which town is the craziest?

Back