• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Towns in Texas with the silliest names

Someone needs to suggest to the town elders to add B.F. to the name!!:lol2:

CIMG3648800x600.jpg

Right down the road is Bonus! Gee, I was a brand new man when I exited Bonus!!:rider:

I guess we all knew that Texas is the center of the universe:rofl:

HPIM0359.jpg

A local (DFW) Weatherman once reported on weather near Earth Texas and that he was FROM there. He said he was beaten up during college when asked where he was from, and he said Earth!:eek2::clap:

Kamay, TX. in Wichita Co.

Named after the KMA Oil Company who owned the land. The postal service wouldn't give it a post office with the initials as a name. So it was changed to Kamay. Pronounced K-M-A.

kamay_po.jpg

The good thing about being a noob is all the threads are new to me. Lots of entertaining reading to help pass the long cold winter. I had to read all 134 post to make sure no one mentioned Big Foot. I know its south of San Antonio cause I was through there years ago but I can't find it on the map? Pop quiz: who was the town of Big Foot named after?

My hometown is Bovina. It's a variation of Bovine because it was originally called Bull Town because of all the cattle. It was the main railroad shipping point for the XIT ranch.

Also in West Texas is Tokio.

And if you think about it, Waco is pretty silly...

The good thing about being a noob is all the threads are new to me. Lots of entertaining reading to help pass the long cold winter. I had to read all 134 post to make sure no one mentioned Big Foot. I know its south of San Antonio cause I was through there years ago but I can't find it on the map? Pop quiz: who was the town of Big Foot named after?
Why, it was named after William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace. Of course!

See the page on Bigfoot, Texas on Texas Escapes.

I have to drop by there, just to say I've been there. Bigfoot is at the intersection of Farm roads 462 and 472, eighteen miles northeast of Pearsall in northeastern Frio County. About 29.046951 N 98.866524 W. That puts it southwest of San Antonio.

Why, it was named after William A. A. "Bigfoot" Wallace. Of course!

See the page on Bigfoot, Texas on Texas Escapes.

I have to drop by there, just to say I've been there. Bigfoot is at the intersection of Farm roads 462 and 472, eighteen miles northeast of Pearsall in northeastern Frio County. About 29.046951 N 98.866524 W. That puts it southwest of San Antonio.
:clap:We have a winnah! Big Bill was the baddest of the Texas Rangers.:hail:

Plaska, TX According to Handbook of Texas, it was originally called Lodge but when they asked for a post office in 1920 they were told there was already a Lodge so the name Pulaski was picked. However, the name came back from Washington misspelled as Plaska.

Baby Head, TX In Llano county
Big Lump, TX In Milam county
Big Square, TX In Castro county
Black Ankle, TX In San Augustine county
Bug Tussle, TX In Fannin county
Byspot, TX (A backwards spelling of the founders wifes name, Topsy Bennett)
Zipperlandville, TX In Falls county

Baby Head, TX In Llano county
Big Lump, TX In Milam county
Big Square, TX In Castro county
Black Ankle, TX In San Augustine county
Bug Tussle, TX In Fannin county
Byspot, TX (A backwards spelling of the founders wifes name, Topsy Bennett)
Zipperlandville, TX In Falls county

I have actually been to Black Ankle! :eek2: When I was a kid we used to ride four-wheelers up and down those roads. I had no idea that was an actual community with a name and all back there.

Dewville, south of Seguin in the sand-hills...
Natalia, north of Devine......
I always wanted to climb the Natalia water tower and paint a GE in front of the town name....juvenile, I know......:lol2:

Looneyville is on FM 343. Also on FM343, just a little down the road from Looneyville, is Loco Valley. There's even a Loco Valley Volunteer Fire Department. The road markers for these two wild and crazy towns are so popular with teenagers, that TxDOT has long since given up trying to keep a sign up.

I wonder if they ever have arguments over which town is the craziest?

When I first moved to Nacogdoches, the first ride I took was out to Looneyville.

Haven't noticed New Deal mentioned yet. Between Lubbock and Abernathy.

FDR must have been very popular in that town............... :lol2:

:tabWiki

Out toward Abilene there is Nimrod, and on my way to Houston there is Gay Hill, is every one there happy?? :ponder::shock:

near Nimrod is Rising Star...

twins separated at birth???

There is a Ding Dong Texas, northeast of Austin. Keep 'em Weird theme i guess ;-)

My Vote for silliest name is the Town of Marquez :-D

But DingDong is a close second... It's just outside Killeen by the map. When we first got to Texas in 2005, wife and I jumped on the bikes one weekend to go find DingDong TX being it was so close to where we lived.

Endstate, it's there, but the Town sign is long gone. Locals told me they took it done some years prior cuz so many tourists were coming in to the little area looking for it for pictures and such.

Manville just east of Austin

When I lived in Arkansas there was a Greasy Corner, always tried to avoid that one on rides

Until I was corrected by the locals I thought Leakey was pretty funny. Same thing with Bexar and Burnet and Buda. I still have trouble pronouncing Refugio. :doh: Is there some connection between Sisterdale, Kendalia, and Twin Sisters other than 473?

Back