• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TPMS bad idea for KTM 1290 adventure R

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Pomeroy
I don't know how many other bikes are out there with TPMS that have wire spoked wheels. I know that my 2020 KTM 1290 Adventure R does and it became a serious problem. I picked up a large screw in my rear tire. I noticed the display came up with a message "LOW REAR TIRE PRESSURE" then in just about 15 seconds later it showed another message in RED that said " REAR TIRE PUNCTURE". I thought at first it was a computer error because I didn't feel anything but in a few seconds, I could feel the rear end start slipping around so I immediately pulled over. I could see a large screw sticking out of the tire. Normally, on a tubeless tire, you could just put a plug in it to at least make it back home or wherever you are going to do the permanent repair. But this was not to be for me. There are TWO rubber bands that go around the back wheel. One of them covers the spoke nipple ends just like in every other bike that has a tube in it. The problem is the OTHER rubber band. This band is about 4 inches wide and has the TPMS device molded to it. The problem is that before I was able to get my bike stopped and pulled over to the side of the road, the large screw punched ANOTHER hole in that wide band rendering it useless. This wide band has a special molded lip on both left and right edges and presses securely and air tightly into a groove that is made in the extruded (or molded) rear rim all the way around both sides. Once that rubber band is punctured, you're done and the rear tire won't hold air. To remedy the problem, you need to CAREFULLY remove the TPMS device from the band and plug the hole it was mounted in. I used good ol' JB Weld to pookey in place a small thin piece of sheet metal to forever seal the hole. Then I went 180 degrees to the opposite side of the rim and drilled a new hole in dead center for the valve stem of the tube. I reinstalled the 4" wide rubber band making sure it was properly and securely pressed into the grooves all the way around both sides of the rim because there are some edges on the rim that the new inner tube could easily wear holes in the newly installed tube if it was not reinstalled. I then installed a new 4:50 inch tube (not a 4:00 tube) because the rear monster size tire needs it. The TPMS warning came up only one time after this alteration so I simply punched "CLEAR" and it never came up again. That was 3,000 miles ago. I will do the same thing to the front tire when it's time to change it out or if I get a flat. HAPPY SAFE RIDING and SEMPER FI....DEVIL DOGS...!!!

TPMS is not a bad idea for tubeless spoked wheels only KTM's TPMS solution is. Same as their double rubber sealing band method is not the best solution. External rim spokes and automotive type bolt on TPMS modules are proven tech.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

TPMS is not a bad idea for tubeless spoked wheels only KTM's TPMS solution is. Same as their double rubber sealing band method is not the best solution. External rim spokes and automotive type bolt on TPMS modules are proven tech.

Exactly!

Here's another joyful tpms issue. If you run offroad pressures then tpms is griping the whole time about low pressure. Good news is ktm folks can adjust it or shut it off completely with their computer. Just fyi...

Here's another joyful tpms issue. If you run offroad pressures then tpms is griping the whole time about low pressure. Good news is ktm folks can adjust it or shut it off completely with their computer. Just fyi...
So KTM tpms is only an on/off idiot light based on owners manual psi? On an adv/dual purpose bike where tire psi gets adjusted up and down seems like an actual psi display with adjustable set points is needed.

I have an add-on TPMS on my Triumph that has none of these issues. Of course it also has mags and tubeless tires but that's totally unrelated. The sensor is in a valve cap. Just reports actual PSI and temperature.

Twice the factory TPMS on my Kawasaki Concours 1400 have alerted me to air loss due to punctures prior to me "feeling" it. I like having them.

I do have a story however. When the bike was new and still under warranty I took it to a Kawasaki dealer for the 1st new tire replacement. I did that precisely because I was concerned I might ruin them. I told the young lady with purple hair and a nose ring working behind the counter that the wheels had TPMS sensors in them and the mechanic should be alerted. Her response was "ya, ya." The "mechanic" wiped out both sensors. Kawasaki paid the $500 replacement cost. The "mechanic" lost his job there. I was without the bike for a week while the parts came in.

I do have a tire changer in my garage and have managed to change the tires a dozen times without breaking them. Not looking forward to the day the non replaceable batteries fail. $500 is absurd.

Last edited:
At least if you buy a KTM you got something setting at home in your garage , not like a bmw that you can’t ride because the recalls can’t be corrected .

If you really want TPMS sykik has a screw on valve cap with Bluetooth communications to your dash monitor mounted wherever you want it . If I really thought I need that I’m pretty sure that’s the only way I’d go .

Twice the factory TPMS on my Kawasaki Concours 1400 have alerted me to air loss due to punctures prior to me "feeling" it. I like having them.

I do have a story however. When the bike was new and still under warranty I took it to a Kawasaki dealer for the 1st new tire replacement. I did that precisely because I was concerned I might ruin them. I told the young lady with purple hair and a nose ring working behind the counter that the wheels had TPMS sensors in them and the mechanic should be alerted. Her response was "ya, ya." The "mechanic" wiped out both sensors. Kawasaki paid the $500 replacement cost. The "mechanic" lost his jog there. I was without the bike for a week while the parts came in.

I do have a tire changer in my garage and have managed to change the tires a dozen times without breaking them. Not looking forward to the day the non replaceable batteries fail. $500 is absurd.
I replaced both of the non-replaceable batteries in my Goldwing.

If you know how to solder and research what battery, it is possible.

There was lots of information onthe Goldwing forum. I'm sure it's on the C14 forum as well.

At least if you buy a KTM you got something setting at home in your garage , not like a bmw that you can’t ride because the recalls can’t be corrected .

If you really want TPMS sykik has a screw on valve cap with Bluetooth communications to your dash monitor mounted wherever you want it . If I really thought I need that I’m pretty sure that’s the only way I’d go .
Yep. I put 8K smiles on my unreliable KTM last year.

Did exactly what I needed it to every time on every ride.

It does burn through tires and gas more than other bikes in the garage though as I find myself wanting to ride it quite a bit.

3 thousand miles from a rear tire for the first few tires on my 950 and my shoulders were hurting all the time , took me a year to figure out why . When I started making tires last 5 or 6 thousand miles my shoulders quit hurting .

Back