• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TPS on the Vstrom

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
I tried replacing my TPS per the shop manual but for what ever reason I cant get the bike to run under load. Idle is fine and revs easily to 6K, I ended up taking it back off and reconditioning the old one with some electric contact spray.
So the manual has no clue as to the relearn process which I am sure the ECM would probably need. HAs anyone found the final solution to TPS replacement. The V strom forums are silent on this portion of the process.

Not sure what year your bike is but I used to have an 03V. The only thing I remember is putting the bike in dealer mode so a line would show in place of the odometer and adjusting it so the line would move from center to top at around 1800 rpm. Did you look on the "stromtrooper" site? On my 03, there was also a place on the TB linkage that had to have a 12 thousandth gap but my memory is fuzzy on that part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vec
I did the entire procedure, read all the threads I could find. Seems after the alignment procedure there is nothing. I have scanned through the entire manual looking for a sub note. Nothing. I bought an additional TPS and did a comparative ohm readings. SO I don't know, I can install it again and do a run cycle like you do on a GM throttle body replacement. Maybe that well work?

I have a couple of questions. First, do you have a power commander on the bike? If so, remove it. Second did you set the TPS such that you have the middle like showing when the bike is off? The setting is simple, lots of folks make it difficult, I would look at it for you, but San Saba is bit far to go tweak a Strom.

What year Strom? If it is older 06-07 or so, the ECU reflash may also cure the problem. Also a two minute job.

IMG_2547.JPG

"On my 03, there was also a place on the TB linkage that had to have a 12 thousandth gap but my memory is fuzzy on that part."

That would be adjusting the secondary throttle butterflies. Not part of the TPS issue. Folks remove those and it will result in a bog if not mapped correctly

Also there is no "relearn" that I am aware of, they are map and go. Have you ever had it mapped? Someone could have fat-fingered the Yosh settings and messed it up if it has been done before.

s-l1600.jpg

Also there is no "relearn" that I am aware of, they are map and go. Have you ever had it mapped? Someone could have fat-fingered the Yosh settings and messed it up if it has been done before.

View attachment 285753
I am its only molester! I put the old TPS back on after cleaning it with electric contact cleaner and I got it to work just fine. So a reflash? hmmm looking on ebay i found a healtech but no Yosh. I guess I have to call around and find a shop with an adjuster! well I am a little closer to solving this "issue". man I miss carbs!

Once you get the Strom flashed it is completely different. Are you having a stumbling in mid throttle around 3-4k RPM? What year strom?

Once you get the Strom flashed it is completely different. Are you having a stumbling in mid throttle around 3-4k RPM? What year strom?
06 strom, what i have is a failure to return to idle after running down the highway. I blip the throttle and most the time that well work. Never had the stumbling. I am going to pull the TPS and try the replacement again. I need to build a harness to look at the resistance of the old one in circuit and the new one. I believe there is a difference in them.

You might have the idle adjust set too high. It will cause a rev hang like that.

There is a delicate balance between tps adjustment and the idle adjustment and the throttle body sync. All three have to be brought in together in my experience. When you touch one, it throws the other out. So start with the throttle body sync, then move to delicately adjust the tps, then idle, then tps, then idle, ad infinitum...

Last edited:
You might have the idle adjust set too high. It will cause a rev hang like that.

There is a delicate balance between tps adjustment and the idle adjustment and the throttle body sync. All three have to be brought in together in my experience. When you touch one, it throws the other out. So start with the throttle body sync, then move to delicately adjust the tps, then idle, then tps, then idle, ad infinitum...
Idle and throttle body sync are good, I can get the new TBS to align correctly it revs wonderfully but wont run under load. I put the old TPS on and it ran like a champ, with the contacts cleaned. still power wheelies. runs to redline. no problem. the hung high idle is slowly returning as I believe the TPS resister is worn and deposits are building on it.

I have a couple of questions. First, do you have a power commander on the bike? If so, remove it. Second did you set the TPS such that you have the middle like showing when the bike is off? The setting is simple, lots of folks make it difficult, I would look at it for you, but San Saba is bit far to go tweak a Strom.
if the weather wasn't so miserable Id pack up the tools and swing by. I am going to nurse it for a while. Spray some contact cleaner into the TPS to get by.

Probably just a bad tps then. Its not unheard of to egt a bad one out of the box.

Back