• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Track day riding gear

With RideSmart, it was nice having some video to look at, although the only instructor feedback I got from mine was "not bad." It was also nice to have a tire and suspension expert there to get my bike dialed in for me. I also like that they put X's on the track to mark the line, Eurosport didn't. RideSmart is $25 cheaper and includes lunch, but other than that, everything else was better with Eurosport's track day, imo.

Eurosport's deal was basically just customers of the shop and in most cases it was just old men that wanted to cut loose on their street bikes in a safe manner. No one was out there trying to become a racer or to raise their street cred, at least in their Level 1 group. The Level 1 classroom with RideSmart was just an instructor sort of rushing through a slide show that he was uninterested in. The classroom was much more involved with Eurosport and they answered a lot of questions and key points that I feel that RideSmart glossed over. Also, the instructors were much more involved with the riders with Eurosport, both in the classroom and on the track. Probably becasuse there were about half as many riders on the track and the instructor to rider ratio was considerably better with Eurosport.

The pace of the event was another big difference. With RideSmart, you are always late for the next thing and find yourself running to make it to the next class or next track session. Really hectic, no one was quite sure what was going on at any given time. Everyone was asking each other if they heard the last announcement. 20 minute track times/classroom with RideSmart versus 30 minute track times/classroom with Eurosport. WAY more crashes with RideSmart in my limited experience. Almost one an hour. I had two folks crash while I was on track with them. That's just in 6 sessions as well, I left after that. I'm not sure if the later sessions racked up more crashes or not. I was starting to fade and didn't want to become one of them.

By comparison, there was one crash total for the whole 16 session day with Eurosport and that was in the non-classroom bunch. Tony said that was the first one they had had in a while. Lots more unsafe things going on the track with RideSmart. That seemed like a combination of the different types of folks that showed up, the amount of riders versus how safety was addressed by each group.

Had I done RideSmart first before doing Eurosport's, I think I would have had a more negative view of track days in general. There were a number of new, slower riders at Eurosport that were done by lunch. I spoke with a woman during one of the breaks and it was her first track day and she did not seem to be enjoying it. She said something like, I don't know what's going on, I'm just trying to stay alive out there. I heard another rider say, "watch out for that guy on the green Kawi, he's holding up the track." The green Kawi was her and she was in earshot when the other guy said it.

There was a similar rider at Eurosport's track day and instead of getting that treatment, one of the instructor's kind of took him under his wing and watched out for him all day. Even took him for a ride as a passenger on his own bike so he could experience a better way to ride. By the end of the day, with all of that attention, this rider was riding much better and didn't stop at lunch like others did in RideSmart.

My take away was if you like a hectic, competitive pace where the goal is to become a racer and you don't need much feedback, then RideSmart. If you just want to go have fun on your street bike for a day in a laid back environment and gets lots of feedback from instructors, Eurosport. But Eurosport only does two a year and RideSmart has them all season. I do want to do another RideSmart event at COTA at some point. I might try one at Houston as well just to see what it is about.

My next one is going to be a 2 on 1 coaching deal in Decatur. I'm curious how that compares to both. They tout theirs as the best place to do your first track day.
Sucks that RideSmart has deteriorated to that point. It was pretty decent when I did it.

Tony, the Scottish guy was the level one instructor and he really made it fun.

Of course, I guess I was wanting to become a racer so maybe it was more geared to my needs.

Electronics help, but in my (relatively speaking) slow opinion, they're not all they're cracked up to be. They allow some riders to get away with poor technique - until they don't. My TC did NOT save me from a rather epic-level high-side back in April of this year...I've had it kick in and work other times, that time it did not. Granted, the kawi TC is pretty poor compared to some of their competitors...

The ideal size bike is the one you want to ride and enjoy riding. Do you ever NEED a liter bike? Pretty much no. That doesn't make them not fun to ride :D if that's what you enjoy. Going fast on one does take more work and more skill and sometimes just some extra cajones lol.

I was out at Cresson on Sunday to learn the lines and get the CCW direction down before this weekend. Traction was good, track was good (for what it is), and had a ton of fun.

Yeah, the bike you're on is the right bike!

My buddy told me his track day story, dragging a knee on his R6 and thinking he's the cat's raisin, when Scott Pridmore passed him on the outside. On an SV650. Two up. And looking back, with his left hand signaling what gear he should be in. Yeah, it ain't the bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next one is going to be a 2 on 1 coaching deal in Decatur. I'm curious how that compares to both. They tout theirs as the best place to do your first track day.

My wife has two track days with them (Sport Rider Coaching). She wasn't / isn't comfortable with as many and varied skilled riders that RideSmart has. Each coach uses video feedback of each student during each off-track time. Last year most days only had about 10 bikes out at any given time so there was a lot of open track. Now with the fresh repave, the next few months are going to be a bit more crowded with members and their guests who have been itchin' to get back out there.

Also, the Wonder Burger and Ha Dogs have nothing on the lunch he cooks up on his BGE.

Buy a good safe full face that fits well. Assume you will toss it, yourself, and the motorcycle down the track about 1 in 20 trackdays. Its not, if, but when. And full leathers from minute 1. Concrete hurts incredibly badly. Craigslist leathers with little wear are my go to, nevr paid more than $250 for a good fitting suit in great like new condition. Lots of guys buy leathers, ride once or twice, then never again.

Stay in Novice as long as you like. No hurry to advance up. The pace is good for folks who regularly push their own limits and need to be in a line of ducks in the AM to temper their own suicidal tendencies. You bump up when you absolutely cannot stand riding another day of Novice. This is the day to buy a lighter smaller track only cheap bike you can wad up and not cry over. Lots would disagree, but having personally helped many, many riders of crashed bikes into a crash truck the pain of crashing is just that much more real when a pretty new pristine street bike is gutted with dirt and debris hanging out of every nook and cranny.

Intermediate is all over the place. Novice racers who run 20 seconds a lap faster than you, but who are wild as all get out will scare you. And day 1 novice bump ups who spook at every close pass and are 20 seconds slower than you. 30 or 40 MPH speed differential on the main straights. You'l feel intimidated in intermediate for the first day. Then you'll get with the program. And then all those slower guys start to get in your way. And this is when the fun begins.

Advnced: When street tires are holding you back, and your bike never feels quite planted, move up to race rubber and expert. Its heaven having grip, experienced trackmates, and more than often empty track to tune your skills. And get ready to be humbled by guys on 12 year old 250 ninjas on DOT rubber running circles around you in the corners. I ran 1:29's at Cresson on my mostly stock Gen 2 Ninja 250 my last visit. It was an absolute blast. Previously, as a novice racer, I rode maybe 1:35's on a GSXR600, knee down, thinking I was superman, struggling, scaring myself silly.

Its pretty easy to be addicted to track. I am much better off financially having hung up my leathers. But I miss it. Now I just race my little 206 go cart to get the speed thrills I need. I consider buying another 250 to run at the local sumo days at the kart track here in Phoenix. I'm just too nervous about getting hooked into it all again.

Have to recommend Hallett. It's quite a drive from DFW and even worse for those of you south but I went yesterday and had forgot how much I like that track and the people that run it.

Free carport paddock area is great too.
ecc6837e1001290eb87534db0f3c029a.jpg

Any motorcycle with proper tires should benefit from a track day. And a single cylinder would be a hoot! Then again, we all know it ain't the bike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love to have a 690 Duke for track purposes.

My first lowside was on the 1.3 at Cresson on the bike in my profile pic. Ahhhhh, the memories, lol

I've heard these guys put on a nice track day. Guess I'm about to find out.

I have heard some not so great stuff the past couple days, but no personal experience the past few years. At their CotA weekend, two bikes (R1 and ZX-10r) a some gear were stolen out of the garages Saturday night. Dave's reply was basically "not my responsibility" even though they state the garages will be locked and there is security at the gates (neither happened that night).

I have heard some not so great stuff the past couple days, but no personal experience the past few years. At their CotA weekend, two bikes (R1 and ZX-10r) a some gear were stolen out of the garages Saturday night. Dave's reply was basically "not my responsibility" even though they state the garages will be locked and there is security at the gates (neither happened that night).
I was referring to 3:16 Track Days, not RideSmart. I have plenty of experience with RideSmart. RS is a decent org...but you can outgrow them quickly.

I was referring to 3:16 Track Days, not RideSmart. I have plenty of experience with RideSmart. RS is a decent org...but you can outgrow them quickly.

Thought I saw it was a RS day, so missed the 3:16 in your link. I have also heard it is a good day and Ignacio is a good person.

I just signed up for the 3:16 beginner group for Monday. See y'all there.
Cool. Should be fun. They'll send you a note and ask you what you'd like to work on as they'll assign you a mentor for the day. Kind of a cool concept.

Monday weather looking pretty decent. Sunny and 90 degrees. A bit warm...but should be pretty fun. You can pit with Bob and I if you want to. We'll have a canopy, generator and some fans that might help make the day a bit more comfortable.

Those temps are practically winter compared to my last visit to Cresson :)

Cool, thanks. What time are y'all planning on getting there? I was planning on rolling in at 6am and trying to find a spot near the building. Which may not be as hard as it was with RideSmart.
We're still deciding as to whether or not we want to go Sunday night and set up or just get there early Monday. Let's connect on Sunday and figure out the details. There's no classroom for this one, and we'll have shade so being by the main building may not be as vital. Even so, if we could get one of the carport spots by the building or out by Pit In to the 1.7M track, it would be ideal as we wouldn't have to set up the canopy

I had a blast. Like the format a lot. No rushing...just enjoy. Having said that, 1 hr sessions in the heat are tough. Still ok though. I got plenty of laps in even though I only ran 35-40 minutes out of the full hour.

Ignacio's wife and the staff were all pretty great. She kept bringing around electrolytes freezer pops and was always making it fun.

I got lucky on mentors too. I had MotoAmerica race Aaron Graham.

Really cool guy and crazy fast. Started the day learning the track as I'd never been on the 1.3, finished working on elongating my braking markers and staying on throttle longer. Really had fun.

All in all a great day. I'd definitely do another one with 3:16 trackdays.

Back