• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Track day riding gear

I think any rider that has never done a track day could benefit from doing Novice 2 or 3 times just to grind the basics into their brains and get them used to being at the track. I believe most track day organizations require you to do it at least once before they will let you move up to the intermediate class. Many folks will do intermediate numerous times. The advanced folks are often looking to get racing licenses for stuff like CMRA. If you are only going to do it a few times, you can often rent leathers. You'd still need the regular helmet though.

Don't forget tire costs... If you start doing track days on any kind of regular basis, you will start going through tires!

I personally would not wear a modular helmet on any track

There's no set number of times to move from Novice to Intermediate to Advanced and contrary to what RideSmart FAQ would indicate, they don't really do a lot of "promotions" that are initiated from the instructors.

They used to have lap time suggestions for levels but I don't see that on the website. For example, it used to be at Cresson that if you were doing lap times under 1:55, they'd suggest level 2 and lap times under 1:40, they'd suggest level 3. I think they stopped doing that because just because you can run a 1:38, doesn't mean you should be riding level 3 where it's mostly racers who will pass you on the inside in a corner as they run a 1:25 on their warm up lap. :)

I've seen you ride and I think you'll outgrow level 1 pretty quickly. You should start there...but you'll be in level 2 after a couple days. Just self register into level 2 when you find you are ready...you'll know when it's time.

Another track day that does stuff out at Cresson is 3:16 Trackdays...but I think they only had one this year. They mostly do the Houston track.

As far as race suits and gear. Expect to move out of novice quickly and get good gear. I've got an entry level suit (full leathers) you can have for cheap. Like $50 or so. It's a Sedici (Cycle Gear house brand) and I've been down it in a couple times but it protected just fine and is in good enough shape. We're close enough in size that my guess it that it will fit you. It will be way better than the junk they have in the RS trailer for rent.

I'd definitely get a good full face helmet that fits correctly. Since you like the fit of your Shoei modular, you can get a Shoei RF1200 for about $250 IIRC. DOT and SNELL approved and pretty cheap considering what it protects. It's worth every penny if your head hits the ground. I also have a Bell that fits pretty close to Shoei that you are welcome to try on. It was a buddies and he wore it about 3 times for track days and then decided he didn't like them and now he just rides his Goldwing. (he may have a race suit and boots as well...I can't remember if he got rid of it or not)

Anyway...hit me up if you want to see if stuff fits. I can also fill you in on all the good and bad of RideSmart and track riding in general.

PS... I want to do one more track day on it and then I'm likely selling my GSXR track bike. If you REALLY get into track, you'll want to start pushing limits a bit to see what you can do. When that happens, it's nice to have a track bike that you can crash without getting too sad about it. For $2-3K, you can buy a bike that you can turn a faster lap time on than your new one because it's tailored for track riding and you don't have to cry if you wad it up going for your personal best time. :)

Last edited:
I've got a full face Snell and full face DOT helmet in the closet, but they don't fit anywhere nearly as well as my modular Shoei.

I can always take one of those if I have to.
Have you looked into different sized helmet pads for them? Most helmets only have two shell sizes and use different sized pads to make up the difference.

IMO you might be outpacing yourself. Unless you get to a point where you are passing everybody in Level 1, and running consistently at the front of the group, there is plenty to learn riding in the Novice group. That's how I feel about it, anyway.

I don't go to track day often enough to be consistent. Heck, the last time to went to one was more than 2yrs ago. I'll probably be a lifetime Level 1 rider. That's fine by me. I don't go to Track Days to be competitive, although there is nothing wrong with that and lots of riders do just that. I'm there to hone my skills in a controlled environment, where I can try the same turn again, again and again.

As for leathers... well, unless you are extraordinarily talented, by the time you get to Level 2, you likely would've spend enough on TD's that a set of leathers won't seem so extravagant. When I first started going to TD's, it was about $100/ day. Nowadays, it's pushing $170. Some tracks like COTA is a lot more expensive. Check out Motorcyclegear.com They often have closeout leather suits for $600 or less. Other online retailers have closeouts too. They aren't just for the track either. Lots of folks wear their track suits on spirited day rides, as long as the weather is good.

I've got a Neotec, but I wouldn't wear that for TD. I keep an X-11 just for this purpose. I scooped it up yrs ago on final closeout for dirt cheap (well, by Shoei top-of-line racing helmet standards anyway).

Echoing what others have said - for non-member days, I think it's mostly just RideSmart at this point in time.

As for level, you can stay in any level as long as you want/need to. Most people will spend a few times in Novice, some will be lifers. Most riders spend a fair bit of time in Intermediate before moving up to Advanced. Advanced is going to be quick with people who know where they are going and aren't afraid to cuddle with you or take an inside line. Spend time in Novice to learn the lines, learn to ride a track, deal with the differing flags, general procedures, etc. If you're turning into the Novice group hero, time to GTFO and move up lol.

If you're fast enough to be a solid intermediate rider - those safety rules are there for a reason. The (generally) higher speeds involved dictate that non-leather gear simply isn't going to cut it if something were to happen.

Helmet wise - well, I've solidly whacked my chin on pavement before - I'd rather not trust my face to a hinge holding up. I'd find a good fitting full face and go with that - head's don't fix very well ;) and are well worth the investment.

It took me all of 2 track days to decide I needed an easier to learn on, dedicated, track bike. Found one crazy cheap (less than $2,000) and cut my teeth on that to save my street bike from the destruction. Funny thing now is that my street bike is the parts-supplier for the race bike and the roles have almost reversed :lol:

No need to invest a ton of money, but I would buy the best gear you can afford. Not sure what you’re riding, but most hypersport tires are great street tires, and will be more than enough for what you’ll be able to throw at them at the track too. Think Dunlop Q3+, etc. I personally wouldn’t go on a track in a ballistic nylon suit and a modular helmet but that’s me. Just because it meets the minimum requirements. “Dress for the party in case you get invited.” Then again, I won’t wear a helmet that only meets DOT approval. Everyone is different. As far as the levels are concerned, you’ll find out rather quickly where you feel comfortable. However, you will outgrow level 1 quickly, especially if you keep riding the same track. Cheap, decent quality suit/gear can be had, you just have to look for it.

I had that happen a couple of times at my first track day. That will get your attention quickly the first time it happens.

That should NEVER happen in a Novice session! ALL passing is usually supposed to ONLY take place on the straights with WIDE buffers around all bikes. IF that did happen in a Novice session, I would note the bike and likely report it. That is a big safety issue!

Riders can supplement track days with a proper dirt bike and time on the trails. As noted in numerous TWT threads, the constantly changing environment trains a rider's central nervous system to subconsciously react to the bike's mannerisms. Plus off-road riding is significantly less expensive and more available than track time.

Road riders/racers sing the praises of off-road training, for good reasons. Dirt skills directly translate onto the road. There's nothing like a spirited group ride across fast, challenging terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd steer clear of MX as well. It's brutal, and riding tracks at sub-race speed gets tedious.

Could the suspension on your e-bike handle mild single track? That would provide a great intro to off-road. It's so different from road riding, even track days, which are largely controlled environments. On the trails it's you pushing yourself and the bike. You're constantly making adjustments to conditions, whether it's with the throttle, brake, or body positioning. That kind of training pays huge dividends when things get squirrelly on the street/track.

That should NEVER happen in a Novice session! ALL passing is usually supposed to ONLY take place on the straights with WIDE buffers around all bikes. IF that did happen in a Novice session, I would note the bike and likely report it. That is a big safety issue!

RideSmart allows passing on the outside in corners in Novice and Intermediate after the lead instructor signals it is ok. That usually happens after lunch on a normal day.

Novice and Intermediate never allows inside passes, ever. They stress this quite a bit. It would be hard to be at RideSmart and not know this rule. Pretty sure you'll get ejected for doing it even once as it is really dangerous at the lower levels. They take the rule pretty seriously.

Level3 / Expert has no passing rules except to pass safely. They assume you're at a level that you won't crash if someone passes you on the inside.

It has so far.

Cool. I bet Trophy Club would be really fun on that e-bike. It's safe, not technical, and a great place to polish your skills. Plus it's probably half an hour from you, which could be the biggest benefit.

Back