• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tracker / 2016 PRN Pics

Re: Tracker / 2016 Two Pic a Week

Down to 3 chickens. Thinking of getting a few more. How are these working out for you?

The newest ones - Barred Rocks? Still kicking. It'll be late July before they start laying.
The production/RIR I got from TSC produced the best. They're on their 3rd year now, so come January, it'll be stew pot time.
The Silver Wyndottes are pretty, but I don't think they lay quite as frequently. Black sex links I think are on par with the RIR as far as ave eggs/day.

Last edited:

The newest ones - Barred Rocks? Still kicking. It'll be late July before they start laying.
The production/RIR I got from TSC produced the best. The Silver Wyndottes are pretty, but I don't think they lay quite as frequently. Black sex links I think are on par with the RIR as far as ave eggs/day.

That is all we have left are the BSL. They do a great job egg production wise. The Raccons helped themselves to the others.:giveup:

That is all we have left are the BSL. They do a great job egg production wise. The Raccons helped themselves to the others.:giveup:

I lost one Silver to either a fox or coyote, not sure which. It didn't get into roost one night and heard it about 0300 that morning in its death throes.
Lost a BSL to the neighbor dog.
Lost 4 RIR - 3 to mystery disease, 1 just disappeared (suspect the neighbor dog). Almost lost one to a hawk, but scared it off just in time.

Wife spotted a racoon last night so hopefully take care of that tonight. Been better since the purchase of a pro-built coop. The other coop those stinkers could find a dime size hole and squeeze thru it seemed.

I've dispatched a couple

Honest Work.
Even with gloves, 25 yds of pickaxe work will make an honest man of you.

6KQ6Hm_RDJsEL2xQfZsd3vPkfahJ7oWSyl4Ax4QrYyMe79_xX6oQNDnJAIn_urI9EgTphGGW9mB-y-m42PQ=w362-h643-no.png

Soft Egg.
Every once in a while, a hen will lay a soft egg. It's a perfect egg, except the outer calcium hard shell doesn't form. The tough inner membrane that lines the calcium shell is intact, and there's a ever so slight layer of calcium on the membrane, giving it the feeling of 220 grit leather sandpaper.

hqAsMpVwKyMIxxGasfNN7vw1fbNnMCV1PVn1-BkQTfuyVcE5MzYdcORNdft_koXiIj1p0vgwLKHF6nPsUA=w1085-h775-no.jpg

YAFP (yet another flower picture)

from a tree on my place.

zMuOJfPBsLvtbl-rWk48UUFpCbyLDmTMsCLcsucooGctbHejezPp1qn3ocXnhWAnegzxyrBZ78ymaLNRVUQ=w585-h643-no.jpg

The plague may be coming soon. My best estimate is there are 150-200 tadpoles in about an 800 gal outdoor pond with no natural predators.

rdOvGQxZZNHeOucpodZGAwcyn1zy4nV8ux8_xvMXwrJelnRMPhfwylodI3Z9fm5yiXnIme9-UuVSUayRH0w=w969-h643-no.png

Sometimes, it just feels good to lie on your back and stare up at the blue sky.

PXfY-PmWKAsb5AQNpvWE7ZgJiDhULxOaQoN6n2DP72Mi0LWf34L7NCjPlHKHXMfNCQ4_C5szVo6eEn_D4B=w1144-h643-no.jpg

Barred Rocks. Won't lay for another 2-3 weeks. Of course, he won't ever lay. :D
My Reds laid a few doubles, but not so much now that they're into their third year.

Those are a beautiful breed. Are the eggs as large as Rode Island Reds, are the eggs brown or white shell? Does that rooster crow much, yet?

Those are a beautiful breed. Are the eggs as large as Rode Island Reds, are the eggs brown or white shell? Does that rooster crow much, yet?
No eggs yet, still 2-3 weeks away. Based on ear feather color, I'm going to guess white or very light brown eggs.
Yes, he's found his voice. He's a pretty bird, but I think he's destined for Sunday dinner.

I have one that is trying to hatch eggs that are not fertile.:doh: Others are clucking behind her back.:lol2:

I have one that is trying to hatch eggs that are not fertile.:doh: Others are clucking behind her back.:lol2:

I've got a brown & black sex link that's gone broody crazy. Every morning I take her off the nest, set her down by the water. She drinks a little; eats a little, then takes off running across the field running like a bat outta **** and sqwaking for 25 yards, then stops, and starts scratching like nothing happened. Within an hour, she's back on the nest. :giveup:

I've got a brown & black sex link that's gone broody crazy. Every morning I take her off the nest, set her down by the water. She drinks a little; eats a little, then takes off running across the field running like a bat outta **** and sqwaking for 25 yards, then stops, and starts scratching like nothing happened. Within an hour, she's back on the nest. :giveup:

Shes never done that before,kinda has me worried. Have to shoo her out of the coop every morning. The sex links are the ones I think the raccoons think are the tastiest.:giveup: Went from a flock of nineteen,now down to three.:eek2:

Shes never done that before,kinda has me worried. Have to shoo her out of the coop every morning. The sex links are the ones I think the raccoons think are the tastiest.:giveup: Went from a flock of nineteen,now down to three.:eek2:

I've read where people put them in a small kennel cage with no nesting materials and just food and water for 2-3 days to break them of it. Not that dedicated myself.

Some unusual fungi on the place after a week of rain...

Promise, not a dead chick.
w121EsdCPbSJ8ftm5IgK8aQ6R_60s5RQKaKIGKCl-pCOb43a4A0ipkJHG5xZzkdQZZfJEP-wzbP-t0BIDiw=w611-h644-no.jpg

TrZHa2jh9GIak_P2obFHkQwc7xcQ-0RVP2tP02t5E47ooDPIIkh6nH9jFVPNGMBE_C8xvQIMzFBjUasJmx=w1134-h643-no.jpg

Back