• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trailer tires replacement??

I always try to replace trailer tires every 3 years or 36k. I have had great luck with the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires on everything from my gooseneck dump trailer to my enclosed motorcycle trailer and everything in-between.

I always try to replace trailer tires every 3 years or 36k. I have had great luck with the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires on everything from my gooseneck dump trailer to my enclosed motorcycle trailer and everything in-between.

I guess time flies when you're having fun. It didn't seem like the Endurance had been out that long, but I see they were released in January 2017. I'm glad to see Goodyear get back to an American made trailer tire like used to be the case with the Marathon before it went to China.

On a personal note, however, I won't be buying anymore Goodyears due to their take on Black Lives Matter. Yeah, the Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand, but it's not China. If Thailand goes full commie like Goodyear, I guess I'll flip a coin. I hate the concept of boycotts, but it pisses me off every time I walk by my pickup and see those Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. Why can't these freakin' companies do what they're supposed to and make product and STFU about their personal politics.

Backing away from a tire commercial for a bit ...

I see so many folks looking at the tread depth and not the date code of tires ... truck, camper, trailer, motorcycle - application doesn't matter ... and deciding it's "good enough". When hauling your 20K bike, 50K RV, 70K truck, why do some quibble over a $200 tire?

Reactions: JMZ
What price is a maxxis tire? My RV eats tires... mostly on I-20 on the way to or from Colorado.
RG, out of curiosity have you ever checked your trailer tire alignment. Years ago one of my enclosed trailers ate tires too and someone suggested I check the alignment. I am sure there are proper ways to check but back then before YouTube I checked from the center of the ball are the front axles the same distance and then are the rears parallel to the fronts. When I checked the left rear was about 2" closer than the right rear. I jacked it up, loosened things adjusted and put back together. What a huge difference it made. I am sure the weight of your toyhauler is much heaver than my enclosed trailer, but thought I would mention it.

I usually buy the Good Year Endurance as well. They are the best money can buy IMO. I had 4 tires on the old trailer that were 4 years old yet in great condition tread wise. Took it to Discount tire and the manger said these are 4 years old and we recommend changing them. I said no way there is still too much tread left. Took off for Arkansas and had 2 blow out, totally destroying my tank drain and messing up a frame support. They were all covered under warranty so I got 2 new and kept going. Had another blow out 2 miles before my camping spot. Was nowhere near a discount tire so had to buy something to get me through. Then on the way home the last 4 year old tire blew. I've learned my lesson. I'll replace at 4 years regardless of tread. I just purchased a new (to me) toy hauler and tires were 3 years old. Replaced all 4 with Good Year Endurance. That was before their Shame!

Reactions: JMZ
RG, out of curiosity have you ever checked your trailer tire alignment. Years ago one of my enclosed trailers ate tires too and someone suggested I check the alignment. I am sure there are proper ways to check but back then before YouTube I checked from the center of the ball are the front axles the same distance and then are the rears parallel to the fronts. When I checked the left rear was about 2" closer than the right rear. I jacked it up, loosened things adjusted and put back together. What a huge difference it made. I am sure the weight of your toyhauler is much heaver than my enclosed trailer, but thought I would mention it.

Good point. Look up string alignment. We did that to road race cars for years.

I can remember being a kid and being so poor we couldn't afford an alignment so we used the string trick!
We used to do headlight alignment on the garage door at night as well. A friends dad had a bubble level and we would all show up and balance each others tires on a Sunday after church. Good times. I digress.

I can remember being a kid and being so poor we couldn't afford an alignment so we used the string trick!
We used to do headlight alignment on the garage door at night as well. A friends dad had a bubble level and we would all show up and balance each others tires on a Sunday after church. Good times. I digress.

Nice to have a garage door. Dad used to have us walk in front of the headlights to adjust them. ;-)

I am gonna get flack for this post, but anyways, so I was a "Goodyear Man" when it came to trailer tires also. My dad always bought Goodyear and I can only suspect Goodyear made really good trailer tires long ago. Anyhow, every Goodyear , Class C I have bought, every one, 4 now in a row, blew out under high load, high stress conditions. We are talking long haul 1000 mile trips on my 17 ft , only 3000 lbs travel trailer. High heat, in summer, just spectacularly blew out at highway speeds. I moved up to class D generics and never had another problem. I cannot recommend a brand on "Generics" just go with Class D or E , 8 and 10 ply tires, steel belted. They won't blow out, haven't had one since and even higher loads now with the new toy hauler. However, they are noisy, and thats the trade off, like an 18 wheeler. I stopped buying class C. You can of course get those in a name brand but they will cost, and I just have too many vehicles now. I have spent $500 on 3 batteries just in the past 6 months cuz of all the toys I have. I wanna say DOT commercial rated Class D about $75 each, probably about $50 in 15in if its a small trailer. If you like Goodyear, about 15 years ago, I was able to order the Class D 15in trailer tires Uhaul has custom made for them from Discount Tires. They say on the tire Goodyear, "Property of Uhaul". Those are way awesome tires, and look like they belong on a truck in the 50's. Uhaul is such a big company they have Goodyear make them super long life tires for all their trailers. Lasted 10 years on a trailer I had, but they were expensive.

Last edited:
Partially due to this thread and the age of my tires I recently upgraded my trailer with radials. My question is regarding tire pressure. 4.80-R12, lightweight 3 rail trailer ~300 lbs. and my maximum load is 2 dirt bikes and some gas/gear <600 lbs. Tires are Load C1, 990 lbs at 90 psi. Previous bias ply were max 60 psi which is pressure I always used. Etrailer.com and elsewhere recommends 90 psi. I've read radials have more flexible sidewalls so explains the higher psi needed? Should or does anyone reduce their radial trailer tire pressure with light loads or just always run the max?

Last edited:
That helps.
I had the above typed (or close to it) so I thought, clicked send and only half of it posted. Instead of a cryptic incomplete post I deleted it all while typing the completion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I do not always run max if tire is overrated for the job. Look at a car for example; inside the door is a sticker with tire pressure for that car with the original tires. These pressures are usually less than the max for the given tire. The mystery comes into play when you change tires. At one time some tire manufactures published charts with weight carrying data based on inflation. That data seems hard to come by these days.

Here is a link to maxxis chart

Thanks Gary. I knew I could have contacted you direct and got my answer but wanted it posted here to share.

I hedged pressure some and already had filled to 80 psi. Driving around town empty for 20 miles or so I see contact patch of tire only in the middle 3/4 of tread width. I'll wait until after some more miles running fully loaded and look again and adjust psi until I get full width contact wear.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I adjusted the headlights on my 79 F150 back in highschool using FOG one time . LOL.

Back