• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Transporting a bike from Redmond, WA to Dallas

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I bought a bike a few weeks ago out of Redmond, WA. I arranged transport for it but now there seems to be some uncertainty on the promised pick up and delivery times. Originally I looked into UShip but bids were $1100-$1400 so I went a different direction for half that based on recommendations from folks with experience.

I'm not necessarily walking away from my current arrangement but I need to see if there's an alternative out there that is reasonably priced. The seller doesn't want to keep the bike in his garage forever.

Is a fly and ride a possibility? Not sure what kind of bike you bought. We do it all the time on the Goldwing forum....but then again....they're usually buying Goldwings so a cross country ride is pretty much what you buy the thing for in the first place.

Cool bike.

If you have a full week to burn, the cheapest way would be to drive out with a flatbed trailer, load it up, and tow it home. But given the distance, that's at least 3, maybe 4 days each way. I've done back-to-back 600-mile days; it gets brutal after a while.

If you can afford 4 days, the next cheapest way, as already mentioned, is probably to fly in, rent some sort of UHaul - maybe a van or pickup - and hightail it home.

If you can find a friendly, trustworthy TWTer, they might do it for you for the cost of the above expenses. I'd do it except my current home situation (care giver) isn't conducive to my being gone overnight.

So that crossed my mind. I could drive my truck up and the bike in the back of it and come home. But the best case gas mileage my truck would get (at the speeds i'd prefer to drive) would be 13-14 mpg. At 4800 miles there and back at $2.25 per gallon I'd be out over $800 in gas before hotel expenses. Not to mention 6-8 away from work.

If it were a newer bike I'd do a fly and ride but there's no way I'd risk it on this bike.

And of course, if you rent a U-Haul, you'll only drive one way, but pay for a LOT of gas, plus pay a hefty per-mile on the truck. Unless you just feel like a road trip, UShip isn't really looking all that bad. Of course, you may find a cheaper hauler, and maybe that's what you're hoping others can identify for you.

when my friend sold his Hurricane, the buyer hired a truck and driver on some app-based service like uber/lyft. Dunno the name of it, but a search should turn it up. There might be a truck coming from Redmond with extra space in it. You never know.

when my friend sold his Hurricane, the buyer hired a truck and driver on some app-based service like uber/lyft. Dunno the name of it, but a search should turn it up. There might be a truck coming from Redmond with extra space in it. You never know.
Most likely UShip.

UShip rates were in the $1100-$1500 range and I was hoping to do better than that.

Unless a deal falls in my lap I'll stick with my current plan and see if it pans out. If not, I'll bite the bullet and use UShip.

I was pricing trying to get my scooter (that I had to leave behind with a friend) from CA to here.

I ended up selling the scooter to a friend on that end.

$600 was the CHEAPEST I could find for a 125, beat up old scooter that I didn't care HOW it got here as long as nothing was broken off.

Good luck, but I doubt you'll find much cheaper for a full sized bike.

I'll hopefully know next week whether my initial deal happens. If not, I'll bite the bullet and pay the piper.

Back