• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip Report for Cuatrocienegas, MEX

Mike,

GREAT REPORT!!! Love your slow travel style. Good write up and good pics too. I'll be down in Jan, and hope to come home through Cuatroceiengas.

What is this winery you mentioned? Did you check it out? I have been reading up on Parras MX and the wine there.

Mike,

GREAT REPORT!!! Love your slow travel style. Good write up and good pics too. I'll be down in Jan, and hope to come home through Cuatroceiengas.

What is this winery you mentioned? Did you check it out? I have been reading up on Parras MX and the wine there.

Jeff,

I didn't get to the winery, but it is there in town. I was surprised there would be cultivation out in the middle of the desert, but after seeing the pozas and the greenery, I am no longer surprised. Yolanda, or maybe Laura, told me the winery is great and has been run by the same family for over 100 years. There were other sites I missed too, like Benito Juarez' school (only drove by it and took no pictures). The Zerrweck brothers also mentioned there is a great bar there unofficially named "40".

I thought about your minimalist thread when I took the picture of my packed clothes as I remembered to put the Guia Roji map book in the photo. I got a lot out of that trip report of yours. That's a great set of maps. I also bought their Coahila state map, and the Saltillo city map. Thanks for the referral to the Urdinola hotel, though I did not make it to Saltillo. By the way, I found this place on the web called El Murillo for possible stay in Saltillo. Check out their web page here ==> http://www.elmorillo.com/index2.html

Let us know next time you are heading down there if you want tag-along riders, or even if you don't. I understand your Spanish is pretty good too.

Not sure what my next journey will entail. Maybe an overnight in Monclova, a night or two in Saltillo, the obligatory Real de Catorce, etc. Longer-term will be the tuaromaquía adventure after further research.

Cheers,

Mike

:tab Yes, you just gotta get it done faster :-P Excellent report Mike. I do like the emphasis on the people. Of all the reasons for traveling, seeing sites and such, for me it is experiencing the people that I am most drawn too. Unfortunately, I do not speak the language, something I need to change. While I was able to get by the last time down there with the help of Richard_, it is a pain not being able to speak well with people. The locals we met were great. We were in Musquiz. Just by chance we hooked up with a local that was also widely known and well received everywhere we went. He made sure we had everything we needed, including LOTS of beer! :chug: I'd also have to say I had one of the best steaks of my life in a place we never would have found on our own! :drool: It really is a shame that so many Americans have such a low and false view of Mexico and its people :roll:

Tourmaister.
You don't have to speak spanish to come down here, most of the people speak English.
And as Mike wrote there's many dirt roads.

Mike.
Thank's for this ride report and for writing so nice of our beautyful land down here.
Back in Terlingua I told everyone that you are more than welcome here, just let us know when you want to come and we'll be happy to make a tour or something for you guys.
:rider:

Tourmaister.
You don't have to speak spanish to come down here, most of the people speak English.
And as Mike wrote there's many dirt roads.

This is true! In fact many like to practice their English and will even refuse to speak to you in Spanish :)

Mike.
Thank's for this ride report and for writing so nice of our beautyful land down here.
Back in Terlingua I told everyone that you are more than welcome here, just let us know when you want to come and we'll be happy to make a tour or something for you guys.
:rider:

Mexico is indeed fantastic! I am researching now for future adventures ==> Tauromaquía en México

¿Acaso conocen al la familia Labastida? Mis investigaciones indican que son ganaderos cerca de Guanajuato con su finca (llamada Espíritu Santo) en SLP al otro lado del la frontera estatal SLP/Guanajuato. Según lo que he oído, ofrecen lecciones de corto plazo en tauromaquía de tipo turismo ú de amateur. Creo que en la misma finca hay alojamiento para los participantes y una plaza de tientas en donde los estudiantes pueden practicar con toros descuernudos. Es decir ambos, hombre y animal, salen vivos de la corrida :rider:

Let me know and maybe we can get a group of riders to enjoy some real traditional Mexican culture! We can start another thread on this topic if there is interest and feasibility.

Mike

Last edited:
Tourmaister.

This is true! In fact many like to practice their English and will even refuse to speak to you in Spanish :)

:tab Well, at the border crossing, I have no doubt that the officials could speak English, they were just having fun with us by pretending they could not :roll: However, once back into the interior, we were in places that were extremely remote and I'm pretty sure what locals there were did not speak English at all, other than "Coke", which at the time was EXACTLY what we wanted :lol2: We reached a military checkpoint on a highway about 80 miles Southwest of Muzquiz and again, no English at all. Once in Muzquiz though, we found a local that spoke great English and he became our defacto guide. His Dad also spoke English, but his friends spoke VERY little and the locals we encountered at restaurants and such did not speak any :shrug: However, I have heard a lot of people say the same thing both of you are saying so I am guessing it really depends on where you are. I would simply prefer not to be in a position where I HAVE to count on someone there being able to speak English. So I really should start learning at least some basic Spanish. Being able to read it would also be good. I just wish I had more opportunity to get down there so it would be a more pressing issue ;-)

Scott,

I think what we mean is that in places where one would go to see the sights and meet with fellow motorcycle enthusiasts you would find an abundance of English spoken. I am not talking about tourist traps either (like Cozumel), but even in remote cultural sites like Cuatrocienegas you will find plenty of English speakers, as well as amongst the class of riders in Mexico like the Zerrwecks, Ricardo and their colleagues. The key here is to make the right contacts with the right people in advance of the journey. This enriches the travel experience.

You are correct however in arming yourself with some Spanish, and yes most of the border guards on the Mexican side don't speak Spanish. Our US border guards do speak Spanish, but this is because they are actually Mexican :rider: (or some other type of Latino).

Mike

Last edited:
¿Acaso conocen al la familia Labastida? Mis investigaciones indican que son ganaderos cerca de Guanajuato con su finca (llamada Espíritu Santo) en SLP al otro lado del la frontera estatal SLP/Guanajuato. Según lo que he oído, ofrecen lecciones de corto plazo en tauromaquía de tipo turismo ú de amateur. Creo que en la misma finca hay alojamiento para los participantes y una plaza de tientas en donde los estudiantes pueden practicar con toros descuernudos. Es decir ambos, hombre y animal, salen vivos de la corrida :rider:

Let me know and maybe we can get a group of riders to enjoy some real traditional Mexican culture! We can start another thread on this topic if there is interest and feasibility.

Mike

:shrug: No idea who Labastida family is.

:clap: great report Mike! I need to plan a trip down there sometime.

Well when you are ready ask away. We have a lot of resources here at TWT. A lot more than what I first thought when I trolled my way into this forum :rider:

:shrug: No idea who Labastida family is.

Okay, I will be gathering more info when I get back from Africa. I leave on Wed and will be back in early December.

Mike

Parras Coah. !!!!!!!!!! Watch the movie "The Wild Bunch" before you go.
It was filmed there. And is the Birthplace of Francisco
Madero.

All these good report and i might go down there sooner than planned.

Up in the area of Abasolo there are Thermal Springs . Some nice HOT water to soak in.

Mike,

Madero.

Up in the area of Abasolo there are Thermal Springs . Some nice HOT water to soak in.

I just checked out the second link that Antonio provided. Scroll down to the bottom and there is a Parras link. I am so there! And it's close to Saltillo. I remember The Wild Bunch, I will have to rent it again.

Thanks Chango,

Mike

Madero.

There's also a Winery in Cuatrocienegas, not as good as Parras but.... (hope the owner in Cuatrocienegas doesn't read this :rolleyes: )

There's also a Winery in Cuatrocienegas, not as good as Parras but.... (hope the owner in Cuatrocienegas doesn't read this :rolleyes: )

I missed it, but as I reported earlier Yolanda or Laura told me it was great. This means on the next visit I will have to drink wine at both places to compare :rider: But no riding after drinking :shame:

After a day in the office, talking about riding, and day dreaming ... this was the perfect end to a grey day....THANKS for sharing...

Excellent report, Mike. I'm looking forward to your next.

Nice write up! Your experiences on the "little" nighthawk 250 give me encouragement that my CRF150F's will be up to the task of putting in 6-800 weekend miles of duty in Nuevo Leon!

Peter

Nice write up! Your experiences on the "little" nighthawk 250 give me encouragement that my CRF150F's will be up to the task of putting in 6-800 weekend miles of duty in Nuevo Leon!

Peter

You won't have a problem. 125cc bikes are down there all over the place.

Last edited:
Day 3 Tuesday 28 October 2008

I am out in the desert now heading west out of Cuatrocienegas. This is MEX30 as it continues on until the city of Torreón. I am surrounded by desert mountains. Here are photos in each of the cardinal directions.
CIMG1318bl.jpg

CIMG1316.jpg

CIMG1313.jpg

CIMG1319.jpg

Notice how MEX30 has just been paved. No double-yellow painted to divide the road.

Hey, Mike, I was looking over this report again. I was on this very road many years ago traveling back to Eagle Pass from Torreón and had a flat. (Driving a van). It took me about 45 minutes, start to finish, to change the tire. Not ONE car passed by. There were no shoulders on the road, so I was just parked in my lane of travel.

It was an interesting experience. It's a place where the quietness is very loud...if you know what I mean.

Back