• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

[Trip Report] The quest for a new ride! 03/25/04

This may be the wrong place to put this, but what the heck. If Scott has given anyone else a hankerin' to own a BMW GS here, I found this in todays' Chronicle:

'01 BMW 1150GS, 3,300
mi, Aero flow screen,
$8,500. 281-395-1048

Date: 4/7/2004
Source: Houston Chronicle

Seems like a good deal to me.

'01 BMW 1150GS, 3,300 mi,

Good gosh, Tourmeister put at least half that on his just bringing it home, and irondawg probably put that much on his just taking the long way to the store and back...! :-)

Sounds like an awesome deal, if it's not wrecked...

:tab Hmmm... Now that I have bought mine, I fully expect the market to be flooded with incredible deals!! :roll: However, if there nothing wrong with that bike, it certainly does seem like a good deal!! Are you listening out there Scratch? :-P

Adios,

Trust me, if I could afford it I would have already called that number myself. Incidentally, that AeroFlow screen is awesome and costs about $400 new (Harley riders who complain that "HD" really means Hundred Dollars for accessories have obviously never owned a BMW).

Pictures

Best regards Team:

Scott: I really enjoy a lot reading about your return trip....!!!!!

I "stich" the pictures and they are uploaded at the following location:

http://public.fotki.com/Zapata/misc/temp_pictures/

If you are unable to get the "original" size, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

Be aware that pictures do not stay too long at this location...so once you got them I will remove the Album. (only 10MB available)

Scott,

We should be getting another member soon, my brother finally succumbed to the temptation and bought a new 2004 1150GS. I will let him tell you the Paul Harvey version...

mrr1150gs said:
We should be getting another member soon, my brother finally succumbed to the temptation and bought a new 2004 1150GS. I will let him tell you the Paul Harvey version...

Yes, I bought a 2004 R1150GS, Night black with a red seat. So far due to the winter weather we're having in Austin this weekend, I've only been able to ride it from Lone Star BMW to my house (12.9 miles). My first ride on the new bike was in the rain without a rain suit.

Now it's time to buy a weather-proof riding suit. I was planning to buy an Aerostitch 2 piece Roadmaster riding suit, but when I mentioned that to the person at LS BMW, they looked at my like I was crazy. I've worn my brother's Aerostitch and his Vanson Leathers. Both seem comfortable. Any other recommendations for riding wear?

My wife, father-in-law, and I spent the whole weekend building a storage loft in my garage so I can fit the bike inside. I'll send pictures of the new bike and the loft later this week.

Randy - a.k.a r1150gsrider
2004 R1150GS

Welcome to the fold... I mean website...

I believe I have parked my fanny on that bike several times in the last few months leading up to my purchase of a GS ;-) I kept going over there and sitting on it and the Adventure model they have.

Cannot wait to see it on a ride ;-)

Congratulations!

Adios,

r1150gsrider said:
Now it's time to buy a weather-proof riding suit. I was planning to buy an Aerostitch 2 piece Roadmaster riding suit, but when I mentioned that to the person at LS BMW, they looked at my like I was crazy. I've worn my brother's Aerostitch and his Vanson Leathers. Both seem comfortable. Any other recommendations for riding wear?

That's surprising to me that LS would give you such a look about the 'Stich, given that so many of their customers wear 'em. Did they give you any recommendations on gear?

Or perhaps they were giving you That Look cuz you were about to ride home in the rain w/o a rain suit... ;-)

I have the 2-piece Roadcrafter, and while it doesn't help my sense of direction or riding skills (see avatar :-) ), I've grown quite fond of it. Note that if you're wanting something that is slightly less easy to don/doff but is slightly more weatherproof, you might consider the Darien instead of the RC. With the Roadcrafter, I've found that it needs some additional waterproofing treatment (seam sealant and wash-in NikWax would help), and I carry at least rain pants if I think it's gonna rain pretty heavily.

All the best, and welcome, btw... :chug:

Back