• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trippin' Connies 3: Voluptuous Colorado

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Disclaimer: It seems like most of the trip reports on this site have been about Colorado this summer. Some of this may be redundant after reading the others, but I’m going to write about it anyway. Oh, and this is going to take me a while because I have over 2,000 pics to sift through. :eek:

Background: Dad was sure the Trippin’ Connies would not take to the road this year. This thought came from the birth of my daughter, last November. But, all I can say is, my wife is AWESOME! She certainly wasn’t jazzed about being a “single mom” for a week, but she dealt with it for me. I felt nervously unprepared as the trip approached. Between taking care of my daughter, renovating our house, and being busy at work, I really didn’t have much time to even think about the trip. Hotel reservations were made two months early, and the general routes were planned earlier in the year. But, I left changing my tires, oil & filter, and misc. checks until the final days before leaving. While putting the wheels back on the bike, I realized I must have gotten air in the rear brake line while swapping out the rear subframe. I changed this out a month prior so I could mount my left side bag, which was impossible after TC 2 without the assistance of a bungee cord and safety wire. I packed in the final hours before going to bed the night prior to leaving.

Our wolfpack expanded once again this year. We finally convinced my brother, Brett, to ride along. After selling his two bikes in the last year, the decision wasn’t too tough when my dad offered to lend him the Honda ST1300 to take the trip on. So this trip consisted of the original two Trippin’ Connies (dad and I on our 2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400s), my Uncle Randy on his Yamaha FZ1, and Brett on his loaner Honda ST1300.

Day 1 – July 24th, 2011

Houston, TX to Amarillo, TX - 595 miles

Starting mileage and MPG cleared:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The plan was to meet at Randy’s house at 5:00 am. It was going to be a tough haul for me, since he lives four houses down the street. I woke up at 4:00 am, finished packing a few final items, scarfed down some pop-tarts, kissed my wife and daughter bye, and road down the street. Dad and Brett were a few minutes early. Before taking off, Dad and I tested to see if we could hear each other via the Autocoms. I heard him, and he heard me for one split second. After that he couldn’t hear me anymore. I figured one of us had a setting off, so we just hit the road, leaving at 5:15 am.
attachment.php

I planned on stopping every 120 miles or so for gas. This would keep us somewhat fresh and make it about four even stops before hitting Amarillo, the night’s destination.

The first leg was uneventful and boring. Dad and I are used to talking to each other most of the time while we ride. Honestly, it was going to take away from the trip if we weren’t able to figure it out.

As to be expected, there was a huge herd of deer on the side of the road, just south of Huntsville. Everyone saw that, but I was the only one to see the single deer standing right next to the shoulder just a quarter of a mile prior. Also, it was interesting to see some of the wildfire damage to the north of Huntsville.

The first gas stop was in Centerville. While here we started testing a few things with the Autocoms. Push-To-Talk switches in the correct positions… check. Frequencies the same… check. We unplugged the Kenwood two-way radios and tested them without going through the Autocoms. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Nothing wrong with the Autocoms, but the Kenwoods were messed up. Dad’s would transmit to mine, but he would get nothing back from me. Good to know that these expensive radios were useless in less than two years.

Next stop was in Mansfield, after breaking off on US 287 from I-45. We’d remain on US 287 for the remainder of the day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ah, finally something good to take a picture of.
attachment.php

With each passing ranch you could see the cows trying to take cover in whatever shade they could find… next to a building, a bush, another cow. I couldn’t imagine standing out in that heat all day. I’d never make it as a cow in Texas. Third gas stop of the day was in Wichita Falls.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The last break of the day was in Childress.
attachment.php

attachment.php

We rolled into the La Quinta entrance at 3:30 pm. We were hot, and happy to be at our destination so early.
attachment.php

We discussed where to eat. I had hoped for Coyote Bluff Cafe, but they were closed on Sundays. We decided to give the Big Texan a try. It was definitely an interesting place. I wasn’t in the mood for a regular steak, so I got a chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and macaroni. The food was decent, but the rolls were the best part, to me at least.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Menus
attachment.php

attachment.php

It was featured on the very first episode of the Travel Channel’s Man vs. Food.

“The owners Danny and Bobby Lee, say the challenge originated with their father Bob Lee. The Big Texan Steak Ranch was built next to the stockyards in Amarillo and when the work day was done the place filled up with hungry cowboys. Bob decided to have a contest to see which one could eat the most and play upon those cowboy egos.

Everyone put money in a hat and the one who ate the most got all the cash. Clever idea. However, the winner ate 4 and a half 1 pound steaks, a shrimp cocktail, a baked potato, dinner salad and a roll in under an hour. Bob Lee couldn't believe it and announced that any other person that could eat that much in his restaurant would eat for free! And the Big Texan legend was born.

Adam calls this steak "a bicycle seat of meat". And that's probably an under estimation. He goes in with a strategy and easily overtakes his competitors and leaves them in the dust. Finishing the entire steak first in about 20 minutes he moves on to the rest of the meal and finishes everything in just under 28 minutes.”

Tempting, but no one attempted the challenge while we were there.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I forgot my bathing suit at home and Randy wanted to try and find some better fitting ear buds, so we headed for Walmart as Brett and Dad went back to the hotel. Success for the bathing suit, not so much for the ear buds. Back at the hotel we jumped in the pool, which was nice and cool for being so hot outside. Later, we introduced Randy to the show My Strange Addition, which entertained us for the rest of the night.

Dad and I stayed at this same hotel two years ago and thought it was pretty decent, which is why I had us staying there on day 1 and 6. Two years of wear and tear made the hotel a little funky, but for the price it still isn’t all that bad.
attachment.php

More to follow.... eventually.

Day 2 – July 25, 2011

Amarillo, TX to Bloomfield, NM - 503 miles

When my alarm went off at 5:25 am, I was somehow able to stay in bed another 5 minutes without falling back asleep. With the routines of four men in the morning, it makes it tough to get on the road quickly. After eating breakfast at the hotel, we hit the road around 7:30 am. Today was going to be a pretty big day mileage wise. Less than day 1, but today only includes about 100 miles of interstate. Brett offered to lead for a while in the morning. Sounds great to me, sometimes it’s just nice to sit back and follow for a while. We headed west on I-40, passed the Cadillac Ranch, and into New Mexico. I wouldn’t say the morning was cool, but it was comfortable.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Only 3 miles into NM, we were already getting off the beaten path. We turned north onto 392. 392 Was bumpy, boring, and it had a low speed limit. Don’t ever ride this road; I’m not sure why it even exists. We did see an antelope right off the bat along it though. This took us to 469 where we headed north again.
attachment.php

469 took us to Logan, where we made a gas stop.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Seeeeeeeeetttt, HUT! (I have no idea what I’m talking about here, but Randy is in position to take the handoff.)
attachment.php

Out of Logan, we headed northwest on 39. It was along 39, just east of Mosquero, where we hit our first couple of curves of the trip that took us up a plateau wall and into the high plains. Brett and I laughed later how we were blowing those turns after riding straight and fast for so long.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

In Roy we turned west onto 121. Soon thereafter, we rode into and out of a neat little river canyon. Riding through the canyon was a nice way to break up the monotony of the morning.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Our next gas stop of the day was in Wagon Mound, at the intersection of 121 and I-25. While there we met a fellow Connie rider. He was in the middle of a big ride, down from Saskatchewan. I’m not sure if he lost all of his luggage, or if he was really just traveling that light.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We hopped on I-25 and headed north for 30 miles, exiting on 58, which took us to Cimarron, “Where the Rockies Meet the Plains.” We continued west and now on US 64, we finally got into some mountains and rode through Cimarron Canyon State Park. We remained on US 64 for the rest of the day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Randy’s suffering from back problems, stretching helps.
attachment.php

Another stop in the state park.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We came out of the mountains and descended into the town of Eagle Nest, sitting next to Eagle Nest Lake. It was a beautiful little lake nestled next to the mountains. The town was small, but looked pretty neat. I’d like to check it out one day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Leaving town we had to dodge prairie dogs as they darted across the road. Many had already become roadside speed bumps. After Agua Fria we got back into the mountains and twisted our way to Taos. But, it wouldn’t be a summer trip without road construction.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Taos wasn’t as bad as I remembered two years ago. I swore I would never ride back through there on a bike. On this route, there was no easy way to avoid it. I think it helped that we just hit the northernmost portion by staying on US 64. Coming into town I figured we would fill up here. I passed one small gas station remembering there would be more. Hmmm, I guess the others were back 68 and the busy part we were ignoring. I knew after Taos the gas availability would be few and far in between so I started to have a mini panic. Just about then we rolled into a station at the corner where US 64 turns back west near the airport. Looking back at the mountains we had just came from, there was a storm a brewin’ and lightning filled the sky.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We grabbed some snacks at the gas station and headed to the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. I told the guys I’d rather spend more time eating there than here. This bridge is the 5th highest in the United States (we saw #2 on the list last year in West Virginia). Unfortunately the bridge was under some construction, so everyone was forced to view from one side. It made things a bit crowded, but it’s always worth the stop. The best part is it shakes when large trucks drive over it. We took a bunch of pics at this stop.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD042.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011092.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD045.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011089.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011090.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011098.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011101.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011107.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011103.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011109.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011111.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011120.jpg

Lots of people love each other.
ColoradoTrip2011113.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011116.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is Rusty (he looked like a Rusty at least, or maybe even a Ralph), controller of the south side of the bridge. Don’t you dare cross these here cones. I kept trying to get a picture of his amazing pony tail, but every time before I snapped he would turn and look at me, so I’d just act like I was taking a picture of the scenery behind him.
attachment.php

I’d rather not know why this cross is here.
ColoradoTrip2011122.jpg

Me: Brett, did you leave your helmet on the ground?
Brett: Ah, crap!
ColoradoTrip2011126.jpg

Continuing on US 64 and right past the bridge is an Earthship subdivision. There seemed to be a lot more than I remember two years ago. They are pretty interesting looking, most of them covered by earth with some sort of funky designs added. I’ll have to stop and get some good pics next time by.

West of Tres Piedras the road starts to get entertaining with some good sweepers and a few tight sections. We stopped for as break as it looked like we were heading for some bad weather. I was the only one to forgo putting on rain gear.
ColoradoTrip2011131.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011136.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011139.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011140.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT045.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011141.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011144.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT048.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT049.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011143.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011148.jpg

Look alive, dad!
ColoradoTrip2011146.jpg

It turned out as I suspected, and the rain gear was not necessary. A bit up the road we passed a cool half mountain, half rock formation.
ColoradoTrip2011150.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011157.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011152.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011158.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011155.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011159.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011162.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011161.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011164.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011167.jpg

Of course I ALWAYS pick the worst places to stop. It’s one of the main things I dislike about leading. From this spot we rounded a couple of corners and there was a nice pull off area that had a full view of the front of the rock. Instead of stopping again, I kept on truckin’. The ride down out of elevation from there was great, lots of nice twists.

The last gas stop of the day was in Tierra Amarilla. I had to get a picture of this little pup for my wife.
ColoradoTrip2011169.jpg

With feet added for scale.
ColoradoTrip2011170.jpg

Nice view behind the station. There were also lots of hummingbirds flying around.
ColoradoTrip2011175.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011174.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011177.jpg

West of Chama we ran into two construction zones with flaggers. There were signs warning of 15 minute delays. Luckily we timed them pretty good, and only lost a couple minutes at most. As we continued on US 64, the rest of the ride was decent, but nothing spectacular. It was filled with long sweeping curves and the scenery started to look the same after a while. I made one last stop for a stretch. This was one of those times where it would be nice to talk to everyone because it seemed they all wanted to just get to the hotel instead of stopping.
ColoradoTrip2011178.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011179.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011181.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011186.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011185.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011184.jpg

We finally arrived at the Best Western in Bloomfield, well, Randy and I did. Brett and dad got stuck at the light on US 550. They said it was the hottest part of the day. All in all it was a very comfortable day, temperature wise.
ColoradoTrip2011188.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011190.jpg

I asked the girl at the front desk what the best place to eat in town was and she recommended the place next door. Not sure if she gets a commission or what, but we tried it. The food wasn’t bad, but it certainly wasn't great. That is, except for Randy’s chicken fajitas, which looked and smelled heavenly.
ColoradoTrip2011191.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD059.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011195.jpg

After dinner Brett and I decided we hadn't had enough to drink and needed to track down some batteries for his GoPro camera. We did just that at the Shell across the street. Later we kicked back in the hot tub that had some powerful jets, swapping back and forth between the scalding tub and the cool pool, which probably wasn’t the best idea. Oh well, it felt great.
ColoradoTrip2011197.jpg

We watched a re-run of the Hooters episode of Undercover Boss. After this, and a quick search on Brett’s phone for Colorado locations, we decided we were going to eat there in Grand Junction the next day. I guess that’s if we make it there before it closes.

I highly recommend the Best Western in Bloomfield and will gladly stay there again. It’s nice, new, clean, and has great amenities. Definitely two thumbs up.

That gorge is amazing, it's like out in the middle of no where and all of a sudden there is this huge crack in the ground, awesome pics.

Note: Sorry for those not able to see all the pics now because of firewalls. My quota was exceeded where I began hosting the pics, so I had to move to Photobucket. I won't be able to see the rest of them at work now either. :doh:

I notice you are running a Garmin Zuma. I was wondering if it had Track filing and setting up as per the 167 267 types. I always like downloading the days track file into my laptop to see just where in the world I'd been that day due to just going here and there just to see what was down this or that road.

Great report and do know about the heat. Was in OK and KS just a month ago. Vetty Hot with the 30 mph south wind just killed my energy and enjoyment.

I notice you are running a Garmin Zuma. I was wondering if it had Track filing and setting up as per the 167 267 types. I always like downloading the days track file into my laptop to see just where in the world I'd been that day due to just going here and there just to see what was down this or that road.

The Zumo does keep tracks of where you have been. The only downside is, after a full day of riding, the track log is basically filled. I can't remember exactly how many points it tracks, but it's not enough IMO. This leaves you with two options 1) they just get written over by the next day of riding or 2) you can save your tracks as a route. I try to remember to do #2 after the day is over, and then import those routes back into my computer when I get home.

The only other thing I don't like about the Zumo is you cannot see your elevation while you are on a route (at least I haven't figured out how to). You have to stop the route, then go back into the map to see it.

Overall, I've been very happy with the Zumo. If my calculations are correct, I've had it for about 4 years now.

thanks for the info. Getting harder and most expensive to come about 276Maps any more. Think the last I saw on Ebay went for 595 for a used one bare of accessories. May have to go with the zumo in the near future.

The only other thing I don't like about the Zumo is you cannot see your elevation while you are on a route (at least I haven't figured out how to). You have to stop the route, then go back into the map to see it.

Don't know about that model, but on the 660 that info is a page away.
RedRiverMay2011063.jpg

Great report! Waiting for more.

It's gonna be hard to replace this unit with all info at your pleasure. But, sooner or later!
Officeshot35_800_x_600.jpg

...Cimarron, “Where the Rockies Meet the Plains"...

Great photo of an encouraging sight after 100's of miles across the plains:

attachment.php

Day 3 – July 26, 2011

Bloomfield, NM to Grand Junction, CO - 331 Miles - MAP

We woke up at 5:30 am, but didn’t leave until 7:45 am. We were supposed to have a full breakfast at the hotel, but at 6:00 am nothing was set out. Apparently the girl who prepares breakfast didn’t show. Lucky us. A front desk guy along with another employee scrambled around got some stuff together eventually.
ColoradoTrip2011201.jpg

Brett found this little critter smashed on the underside of his sheepskin cover.
ColoradoTrip2011199.jpg

Out of Bloomfield we headed north on US 550. 23 Miles later we were in Colorado.
ColoradoTrip2011203.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011210.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011209.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT064.jpg

And because one pose is never enough.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT065.jpg

It was amazing how almost instantly the landscape turned green and the temperature dropped a couple degrees.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT068.jpg

We continued north to Durango.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD071.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD072.jpg

The train was leaving Durango, headed for Silverton.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD076.jpg

We carried on through Durango on US 550, the Million Dollar Highway. We climbed out of town and within the first couple of turns we ran up on an accident. The wreck had just happened, I hope everyone was ok.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT073.jpg

Because of this, we got stuck behind a few slow moving vehicles climbing in elevation, so I went ahead and pulled over for a break. There’s going to be lots of these along this road because it’s amazing. Amazing doesn’t even do it justice, and these pics certainly don’t.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT077.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT079.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT085.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011211.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011215.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011218.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011219.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011230.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011227.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011231.jpg

Another stop… and we’re only a couple miles in.
ColoradoTrip2011234.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011235.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011236.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011237.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011240.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011243.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011242.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011244.jpg

We turned back around from this point to go check out a waterfall that only I saw. It was only a turn back. I also got a few action shots.
ColoradoTrip2011248.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011249.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011253.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011258.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011268.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011280.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011283.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011301.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011291.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011292.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011297.jpg

Two guys came cruising by, one on a FJR and one on a Connie. We would end up seeing these guys a couple times this day.
ColoradoTrip2011286.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011288.jpg

Next stop, Molas Pass.
ColoradoTrip2011304.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011307.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011308.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011309.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011319.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011315.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011325.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011317.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011328.jpg

We continued north to Silverton and road down the main street.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD099.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD101.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT105.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011329.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011332.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011333.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011335.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011336.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011338.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011339.jpg

We made a quick stop at a beautiful corner. Brett was in charge of getting a pic or two of me riding. With the mishap of last year in the back of my mind, I went about 2 ½ mph around the corner.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT112.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT113.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT115.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011341.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011348.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011342.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011344.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011354.jpg

Next up was Red Mountain Pass.
ColoradoTrip2011356.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011358.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011357.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011364.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011361.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011365.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011366.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD109.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT123.jpg

This little slice of heaven was just north of Red Mountain Pass.
ColoradoTrip2011368.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011373.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011417.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011388.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011421.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011392.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011422.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011401.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011430.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011407.jpg

We did run into a little bit of construction.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT128.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT130.jpg

These are some sights from dad’s point of view as we rode along further.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD117.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD119.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD120.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD123.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD125.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD127.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD129.jpg

Yet another little break.
ColoradoTrip2011432.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011434.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011435.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011436.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011437.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011439.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011444.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011440.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011445.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011446.jpg

Someone noticed there was actually a house/shack across the way. How in the world do you get to it? You can barely see it in this picture.
ColoradoTrip2011443.jpg

We finally made it to Ouray, the end of the Million Dollar Highway.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD132.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD134.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011448.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011449.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011450.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011452.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011454.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011455.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011456.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011458.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011459.jpg

Yeah, it took us forever to get down the Million Dollar Highway. The road beckons you to fly down it, but the scenery makes you stop and enjoy the beauty. It should be on everyone’s must ride list, unless you’ve already experienced it. It’s simply amazing.

We made our way north to Ridgeway and stopped for gas. While we were there, it started pouring. We tried to protect ourselves under the small cover while allowing others to get gas. I finally caved and put my rain suit on.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD141.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD142.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD143.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD147.jpg

We took 62 west out of Ridgeway and climbed in elevation until we reached the Dallas Divide. Heading up, there were two lanes, going down was only one. We were almost at the top when an 18 wheeler came barreling around the corner and in one of our two lanes. We had just passed a few cars, so I checked back to make sure everyone was in the right lane. Luckily they were. The truck appeared to be a run away and out of control. If we would have been passing cars at the time we would have all been hood ornaments.

62 Was a nice ride down to 145 where we continued, now heading northwest, running along a river in a canyon. We stopped for a break as we climbed out of the canyon, just east of Norwood. Our buddies passed by again.
ColoradoTrip2011460.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011461.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011462.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011463.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011475.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011476.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011479.jpg

After Naturita we broke off on 141 and headed north. We stopped several miles in to prepare for the weather.
ColoradoTrip2011486.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011487.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011488.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011489.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011491.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011492.jpg

It rained on us pretty good in some sections, but mostly just a heavy drizzle. I must go back and ride this road again, hopefully the weather will cooperate. It’s 75 miles of pure motorcycle bliss. Most of the time you are following the river in the canyon with huge rock walls on both sides. At one spot, another river joined and there was a nice pull-off spot. It was raining hard, so I keep moving on. There was an incredible view at the spot where the rivers joined. If you are into tight twisties, this isn’t the road for you. But if you love sweeping turn after another, following the lines of the river, you’ll love it. The clouds were hanging right at the top of the cliffs, making it even more majestic. The road reminded me of 128, between I-70 and Moab in Utah, or 89A north of Sedona, AZ, except much better. Oh, and I forgot to mention, we only saw a handful of cars the whole way. We did make one stop, a good way in and our buddies passed by once again.
ColoradoTrip2011495.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011498.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011500.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011501.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011505.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011506.jpg

My hand got some glove love due to the rain.
ColoradoTrip2011507.jpg

At US 50 we headed north towards Grand Junction, our stop for the night. A few miles after turning we caught up with and passed our buddies, but needed to stop for some gas. Our buddies pulled in there as well, and we finally got to chat with them. They were on a two week trip from Arkansas, making their way to Glacier National Park. They planned on camping through it all.
ColoradoTrip2011508.jpg

At this stop, I also wanted to make sure everyone still wanted to go through Colorado National Monument today. That was the plan, but it was getting later in the day. Everyone agreed to carry on. We wished our buddies the best of luck on their trip and continued into Grand Junction, and into Colorado National Monument.

It was $5 per motorcycle to enter. We paid our fees and entered the park. Right from the entrance we immediately started climbing, one hairpin after the next. As soon as we reached the top we hit the thick fog. It was looking like we weren’t going to be able to see much. We first stopped at Ute Canyon, making the short hike down to the canyon.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD150.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011510.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011511.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011512.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011513.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011515.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011519.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011525.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT144.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011530.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011531.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011536.jpg

We talked two couples who were also viewing the canyon after we walked back up the bikes. One of the guys told me a story about how he wrecked his older model Concours. The same guy had told Dad how he was thinking about getting a Can-Am Spyder because he was getting too old for two wheels. This made dad feel good because he was born a year after dad. One of the ladies looked at our bikes and said we were city slicker motorcyclists. I laughed, but there was definitely some truth to it.

Luckily, after stopping for a while here, the fog had cleared. We made several more stops while riding the 25 mile road through the park.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD165.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD168.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD169.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT165.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011537.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011541.jpg

Another stop with a panoramic view.
ColoradoTrip2011548.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011549_Stitch.jpg

The last stop was just past the visitor center/store. It was already closed, so we made the little loop next to it that had some great views.
ColoradoTrip2011557.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011561.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011562.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011565.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011566.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011567.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011569.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011571.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011572.jpg

Here’s a few parting shots leaving the park. It was well worth the $5.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD186.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD187.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD188.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD189.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011573.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011575.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011577.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011579.jpg

We made our way to I-70 and back into Grand Junction. Getting up to 75 mph felt more like we were going 250 mph after traveling so slow for so long. Looking to our right you could see the park where we had just came from, but it looks so unassuming from the Interstate.

It was about 7 pm when we finally arrived at the Grand Vista Hotel in Grand Junction. We unloaded our bikes, and as planned, made our way to Hooters. It was bingo night there and Randy ended up one number away from winning $350. Good times.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD190.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011582.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011584.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD191.jpg

When we got back to the hotel, Randy mentioned something about getting on the elk. What ensued was the accumulation of a long day on the road, a couple drinks, and peer pressure.
ColoradoTrip2011587.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011585.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD194.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD195.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD196.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD197.jpg

Whoopsie….
ColoradoTrip2011590.jpg

We hit the hot tub and pool before crashing out for the night. We didn’t do a lot of miles, but we saw some amazing sights, and stopped a ton of times. I ended up going to bed around midnight.

Day 4 – July 27, 2011

Grand Junction, CO to Leadville, CO - 364 miles - MAP

We woke up at the usual 5:30 am, packed up, said our goodbyes to Mr. Elk and rode down the street to the Burger King for some breakfast. No complimentary breakfast at the Grand Vista Hotel.
ColoradoTrip2011592.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011593.jpg

It was just a short ride east on I-70 before we were exiting and heading back south on 65. We immediately started climbing up the Grand Mesa. We started out below the clouds and were soon riding through them.
ColoradoTrip2011594.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011596.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011595.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011597.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011599.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011604.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011600.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011607.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011601.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011608.jpg

And just a few miles later we were above them and on top of the Grand Mesa.
ColoradoTrip2011610.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011613.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011615.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011616.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011617.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011618.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011619.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011621.jpg

It was not what I expected at all from looking at the map. It’s a beautiful area. Everything was vibrant green with lakes sprinkled in here and there. It would be great to go back and camp in the National Forest one day.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT191.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011622.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT194.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011629.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011626.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011627.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011628.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011624.jpg

Continuing south out of the National Forest and down the Grand Mesa was a great ride. We stopped in Eckert for some gas. While we were there we talked to a guy at little shop next to the station. He's trying to sell a 1980 Goldwing. The thing is in great shape for a 31 year old bike. I told him I’d take some pics of it and include it in my report for him.
ColoradoTrip2011631.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011630.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011632.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011633.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011634.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011635.jpg

He was happy about that, and then started pushing his luck by asking me to do the same for a dresser kit he was trying to sell. Ok, but I draw the line here.
ColoradoTrip2011636.jpg

At 92 we turned east and in Hotchkiss the road turned south towards the Black Canyon. I’ve heard there are some better places to view the canyon, but I just decided to stay on 92 and view that part of the canyon.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD201.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011641.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011647.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011650.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011655.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011657.jpg

While at this stop a guy on a manpowered bike rolled by. Dad said something to the effect of “you’re heading the wrong way” as he pedaled uphill. He responded with “only cool guys go this way.” He was a cool dude for sure.
ColoradoTrip2011659.jpg

We made a quick stop just a bit down the road. I had the feeling we were getting close to something good.
ColoradoTrip2011661.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011662.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011668.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011667.jpg

A little further down 92 we pulled into Hermits Rest area. We talked to the two guys below in fluorescent for a while. They are both Colorado locals and one of them was thinking about a future ST1300 purchase.
ColoradoTrip2011673.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011674.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT208.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011676.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011678.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011680.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011681.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011686.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011688.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011687.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011689.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT215.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011682_Stitch.jpg

This road was sweet. There were great views around every corner and it will filled with nice turns.
ColoradoTrip2011691.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011692.jpg

Cruising along 92.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD206.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD207.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD209.jpg

For once I pulled over at a great place to stop. This may have been my favorite of the whole trip. We decided to walk down to this massive rock cliff. Standing near the edge of this thing was amazing. I’m not going to lie, it was pretty scary. It was a sheer drop WAY down over the edge of the rock. We stayed down there for a while, in awe of the beauty. These pictures don’t do this place justice. Sorry for all the pics, but I couldn’t get enough of the place. If anyone wants the GPS coordinates, just let me know, I’ll be happy to share.
ColoradoTrip2011693.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011695.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011696.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011698.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011699.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011701.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011702.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011705.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011708.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011711.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011712.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011718.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011719.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT223.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011723.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT228.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT242.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011721.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011720.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD223.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT240.jpg

A few miles later we were at the end of 92 and crossed the Blue Mesa Dam. 92 Was a really nice ride with very light traffic.
ColoradoTrip2011736.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011731.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011733.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011732.jpg

We stopped for a quick second to gaze at the lake.
ColoradoTrip2011738.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011740.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011739.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011741.jpg

On US 50 now, we headed east as the road hugged Blue Mesa Reservoir. I’m sure I sound like a broken record, but it was a nice scenic ride.

We took US 50 to Gunnison where we turned north on 135 and filled up before leaving town. It was at this gas stop I began to realize that quite a bit of the Colorado population in these smaller towns is what I would consider “earthy.”

135 From Gunnison to Crested Butte was fairly uneventful.
ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT244.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT248.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT258.jpg

Dual sports were bountiful in Crested Butte, but you’ll never believe it because I didn’t get pictures of any.
ColoradoTrip2011742.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011744.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011743.jpg

We headed out of town on Co Rd 12. It wasn’t long before it turned into a hard-packed dirt road with some gravel thrown in here and there. This was no surprise, I knew going into the trip we would be running into dirt here. It wouldn’t be an adventure without some dirt twisties thrown into the mix.
ColoradoTrip2011746.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011747.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011750.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011748.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011752.jpg

The first several miles were the worst because there were spots under construction. Imagine 30 foot stretches of chunk gravel on a loaded down sport tourer. One patch in particular I believe I entered too slow, almost dumping it. Thankfully somehow I didn’t. It gets frustrating looking in the side mirror and watching your compadres go through the sections with what seems like great ease. Then we made it back to land, the paved road, but it was just a tease. It was a wonderful mile though.
ColoradoTrip2011755.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011761.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011760.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011762.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011769.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT267.jpg

Somewhere along Co Rd 12 we went over Kebler Pass, but I never saw the sign, only a sign saying we were approaching it.

After seeing tons of “Open Range” signs on the trip, we finally had an encounter.
ColoradoTrip2011771.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011773.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011776.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011779.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011788.jpg

All in all, it was almost 30 miles of dirt. At a 25 mph average with a couple of stops, it took us quite a while to travel down Co Rd 12. Some of the sights were great, but it was hard to take in the scenery when we were trying not to wad it in a loose gravel corner. I thought it was worth the trip down the dirt, but dad said he could have done without. I told him he could thank gixxerjasen for recommending it.

Co Rd 12 finally ended and dumped us out onto 133. We headed north, feeling good to be back on solid ground. We made a stop at the Paonia Reservoir dam.
ColoradoTrip2011790.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011802.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011792.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011800.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011796.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011801.jpg

Next up was the run up and over McClure Pass.
ColoradoTrip2011804.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011805.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011808.jpg

133 Was a nice ride all the way to Carbondale, nothing fantastic, but nice. At Carbondale we turned onto 82 and headed back southeast towards Aspen. For most of the way this was a divided highway with two lanes on either side. We were able to make some good time on this stretch as it was nice and open.

This little spot was somewhere between McClure Pass and Aspen, either on 133 or 82. If I had to guess, I’d say 133.
ColoradoTrip2011811.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011815.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011814.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011816.jpg

Brett dropped his brand new iPod from 2 ½ feet above ground. It still works though.
ColoradoTrip2011818.jpg

Heading into Aspen on 82 we rode past the airport with all the private jets lined up against the fence. The town of Aspen was beautiful, but very touristy. Brett swore it smelled like women’s perfume throughout the town.

We continued on 82 through Aspen towards Independence Pass. The first section of this road was extremely tight, with very small lanes. There was a river with small falls running next to the road.
ColoradoTrip2011819.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011821.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011820.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011824.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011830.jpg

Dad looking whooped…
ColoradoTrip2011828.jpg

Hey dad, give me a plank!
ColoradoTrip2011827.jpg

Once we got out of the trees everything opened up and you could see the magnitude of the mountains. Dad got a few shots as we headed towards the pass. We’re headed “up there” in the first pic. Right around the corner from there is the pass.
ColoradoTrip2011_DAD248.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD247.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD249.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_DAD250.jpg

Finally atop Independence Pass, it was nice and cool/cold. Right before the pass we rode beside some snow still banked against the side of the mountain. There is a beautiful 360 view from the top of the pass.
ColoradoTrip2011833.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011837.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011838.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011840.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011841.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011856.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011858.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011859.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT286.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011_BRETT287.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011867.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011869.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011870.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011871.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011877.jpg

A couple panoramics for good measure.
ColoradoTrip2011843_Stitch.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011851_Stitch.jpg

Leaving the pass, we tried to gear up and get going before 3 cruisers and their pit crew in a car took off. We were unsuccessful, so we had to follow them for a while. In fact, we ended up following them all the way to our nightly destination. They actually set a decent pace, most likely because it was getting later in the day and they wanted to get to their hotel. But, it allowed to me to look around more than I usually would, so I didn’t mind.

82 From Aspen to Twin Lakes was awesome. There’s every type of turn imaginable and it’s as scenic as can be. We made it to US 24 and headed to Leadville. Looking to the left while traveling on north US 24 we watched the two highest peaks in Colorado go by, Mount Elbert and Mount Massive. As the sun was going down we road through Leadville and made it to our hotel, Columbine Inn & Suites.

Black eye or dirt?
ColoradoTrip2011883.jpg

We quickly got ourselves together and headed back into town for some food. At first we went to Zichittella’s Italian, at the recommendation of the girl at the hotel desk. It was a nice little place. We ordered our drinks and food and everything seemed fine. Drinks came out, and so did the salads. Their Caesar salads tasted great. I know, just some lettuce, cheese, and dressing, but it was really good. Then our waiter comes out and tells the people who sat down after us that the kitchen is out of food. Weird. Next he walks over to us and tells us the same thing. Doh! We were really looking forward to what we ordered. He said the drinks and salads were on the house, so we polished those off.
ColoradoTrip2011887.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011886.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011888.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011890.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011891.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011892.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011889.jpg

We walked down the street trying to find another food establishment still open, and ended up at Tennessee Pass Café. The lady at the bar said the kitchen was open for 5 more minutes if we wanted to order. She said the special of the day was the French Dip, it sounded good so we all ordered it. It turned out being the best food of the trip! It was heavenly!
ColoradoTrip2011899.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011897.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011895.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011896.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011893.jpg

ColoradoTrip2011898.jpg

It was definitely chilly out being at 10,200 feet. We headed back to the hotel for the night and ended up going to be late. Before hitting the sack I opened the window to let that cool mountain air into the room while we slept.
ColoradoTrip2011902.jpg

Wow, what a trip. You've hit just about every favorite spot of mine in the state of Colorado. We're all green with envy.

I thought it was worth the trip down the dirt, but dad said he could have done without. I told him he could thank gixxerjasen for recommending it.
Glad you enjoyed it, tell your dad I'm sorry, there was absolutely NONE of that gravel last August. I did notice a bunch of trucks so they must come through every year or so and dump gravel to keep the road up and it sounds like you came through as they were doing it. My only issues with the road were where it was wet from the rain under the trees where it wasn't getting any sun to dry it up. It was a little slippery but nothing too bad...if you don't come hauling into the corner way faster than you should have. Took me several days to get that pucker mark out of the seat.

This is what the entire road looked like last year.

IMG_2137.JPG

klb1122 said:
Sheesh, are you men or little girls?

Real men stand on the edge!:rofl:

IMG_1973.JPG

Yea, 92 and the Black Canyon of Gunnison is a must on that trip. However, ride careful because there's no guardrails and the penalty for failure is high!

Back