• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph on the Talimena Skyway

Reaction score
Just returned from a three-day jaunt on and around the beautiful Talimena Skyway in s'western Arkansas.

This was my wife's first ever motorcycle tour and, after buying her all the appropriate gear -including three different helmets, she and I enjoyed an excellent ride of near 600 miles.

The Queen Wilhelmina Lodge is the place to stay. We visited mid-week and the Skyway was near deserted. A perfect, stress-free way to introduce SWWBO to the curves, twists and panoramic views along the 54 mile National Scenic Highway while enjoying our Triumph Trophy 900.

The towns of Talihina OK and Mena AR anchor the road on the east and west ends. Both towns offer interesting eateries so don't miss Pam's Hateful Hussy Diner and Papa Poblanos in Talihina and Mena.

Mena has a walking friendly downtown. The restored train station has a museum, there are shops for us guys and even an old Esso gas station and Studebaker dealership converted to bike and car museums.

Note the tailgating controller, 30 cal. water-cooled machine gun mounted on my Triumph Trophy. OK, so it does look suspiciously like a telescope...

Big fun. We will return.

Monte
Denton Texas

Attachments

• Lynn.Mena.02.jpg
    Lynn.Mena.02.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Lynn.Skyway.01.jpg
    Lynn.Skyway.01.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Monte.Mena.01.jpg
    Monte.Mena.01.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 30cal.Trophy.01.jpg
    30cal.Trophy.01.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Trophy.Queen.01.jpg
    Trophy.Queen.01.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 153
Looks like a very nice trip! How did you get that cannon on and off so quickly?!? :lol2:

Even though it ain't a gun, mounting a telescope that size on a luggage rack is impressive.

I prefer mine mounted on the handlebars so I don't have to turn around to use it while riding.

That place is always nice. Passed through it last Saturday , I think. Didn't stop though. Had 3 GS's in front of the train taking pics and several bikes about the place. A few Vipers and Corvettes at the motel I stayed at in Mena for the night. Left before they awaken though.

Back