• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Tiger 800xc & 800 Road. What did you do with your Tiger today

75-80. I averaged 55 most of my way from Texas to New Mexico. Milage is not a selling point for me. Every bike I have ever had gets a minimum of twice the milage of my cars. I am more worried about getting the performance I want. The milage I have gotten on the tiger has been icing on the cake.

Is that GPS verified true speed or speedo indicated? Often a 10% variance but not sure how accurate the Tiger speedo is.

Mpg is not a selling point by itself but as related to total range. 5 gal tank at 40 mpg = 200 mile range versus 65 mpg = 325 mile range is a huge difference. Nobody wants to carry extra gas containers and the hassle involved. For an Adventure bike route a 200 mile range can have you making plenty of detours/backtracking to avoid running out of gas in the boonies.

_

Is that GPS verified true speed or speedo indicated? Often a 10% variance but not sure how accurate the Tiger speedo is.

Mpg is not a selling point by itself but as related to total range. 5 gal tank at 40 mpg = 200 mile range versus 65 mpg = 325 mile range is a huge difference. Nobody wants to carry extra gas containers and the hassle involved. For an Adventure bike route a 200 mile range can have you making plenty of detours/backtracking to avoid running out of gas in the boonies.

_

Not looking to pick a fight, but...can anyone point out a route or place that is 200 miles away from available fuel? I hear this 'fuel capacity' or 'mgp' argument on many threads, but I guess I've never been anywhere (in the US) where I've felt it necessary to carry extra fuel.

Not looking to pick a fight, but...can anyone point out a route or place that is 200 miles away from available fuel? I hear this 'fuel capacity' or 'mgp' argument on many threads, but I guess I've never been anywhere (in the US) where I've felt it necessary to carry extra fuel.

If 200 miles is your range then yes you will plot routes that hit a fuel stop before your tank is gone. Probably only a few dozens places in the US that go farther than that between without a choice. But if you want to take only the best, most interesting and most convenient routes then yes you will be SOL unless you do plenty of backtracking or detours.

Start in Terlingua and ride to the State Park, take the State Park road from one end to the other and back and then ride back to Lajitas. If your range is 200 miles you'll either be on fumes or pushing your bike. Now you could detour to Presidio fuel up and then backtrack and be ok. That's what I'm talking about, not having to do schenigans like that. After all it's an Adventure bike and plenty of off the beaten track roads you would like to go without stressing out over fuel.

_

My cruising speed is usually 4 mph over posted. Most often on 70-75 mph posted highways or just cruising around on county roads with no paint and often no pavement.

This mix has netted me consistently 40-44 mpg. (GPS speeds)

From what I've read on the Tiger forums this is typical, though there are instances like Hail reports that seem to get better mileage across the board. Nobody has been able to nail down exactly what the difference might be.

As for extended range, what SB said sums it up well. It isn't that there aren't stations to fill up, I just don't want to stop any more often than necessary.

When I plot my trips the gas stops are planned based upon the useable range. For the Tiger this is in the 160 mile area. I can get 180 out of it, but it can be nerve-wracking to plan based on that number.

I would love to be able to count on 200 miles before the light comes on. That would be just about perfect, forcing me to stop every three hours or so.

I got a box of goodies in the mail today. . . a candy bar & a neck warmer. :mrgreen: Did a little more looking in the box and found a new can. :thumb:

Now I need to get a little time off to get it installed.

Attachments

• Fuel Bar.jpg
    Fuel Bar.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Fuel Neck Warmer.jpg
    Fuel Neck Warmer.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Fuel Can.jpg
    Fuel Can.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 222
I'll stick with my '13 XC until the kinks have been worked out of the fly-by-wire feature and ride modes. While it seems great to have, it's still way too new for me.

My only complaint is their ridiculous setup for electronic idle. It isn't really an adventure bike if it needs to avoid dusty roads.

My only complaint is their ridiculous setup for electronic idle. It isn't really an adventure bike if it needs to avoid dusty roads.

What?!?! What problems does this cause?

ps I thought you'd say the heat :rofl:

There is a stepper motor that pushes a roller on a plate to control idle. When the roller to the plate interface gets dirty it doesn't roll very well. So, the result is the bike won't idle.

One guy on ADV has removed the mechanism and replaced it with a set screw on a bracket.

The problem is mostly with bikes that have too much grease on the roller. Once cleaned and some dry lube is applied (silicon, or the like) the problem rarely happens. Though some owners report repeated issues.

Also, there has been some confusion as the problem is described as a "stepper motor" problem, and many will clean and lube the motor itself, rather than the roller at the cam plate. These could be the same people reporting repeated issues after thinking they have "cleaned and lubed the stepper motor."

I had it do this around 5000 miles and pulled the tank, cleaned things up and have put another 10K miles on it without issue.

There is a stepper motor that pushes a roller on a plate to control idle. When the roller to the plate interface gets dirty it doesn't roll very well. So, the result is the bike won't idle.

One guy on ADV has removed the mechanism and replaced it with a set screw on a bracket.

The problem is mostly with bikes that have too much grease on the roller. Once cleaned and some dry lube is applied (silicon, or the like) the problem rarely happens. Though some owners report repeated issues.

Also, there has been some confusion as the problem is described as a "stepper motor" problem, and many will clean and lube the motor itself, rather than the roller at the cam plate. These could be the same people reporting repeated issues after thinking they have "cleaned and lubed the stepper motor."

I had it do this around 5000 miles and pulled the tank, cleaned things up and have put another 10K miles on it without issue.

Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks for the explanation.

Ordered front fender riser and fender extender for the 800xc.

Took it out to play in the dirt for Toys for Tots.

[ame="http://youtu.be/FOeoQYwjtQ4"]Dual Sport Toys for Tots in Azle, TX - Tiger 800 - YouTube[/ame]

Got my Barkbuster Storm hand guards installed. They look like they should provide much better coverage than the OEM guards. The OEM guards were, no matter how configured, below my knuckles.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420320016_178552.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420320016_178552.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 201
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420320026_932060.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420320026_932060.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 198
Triumph Tiger 800 Road farkles

I just installed the barkbuster storm handguards and a madstad windshield on our new0-to us 2012 800ABS. Both are great additions. Zero wind behind the handguards. The windshield makes 80mph freeway speeds a pleasure.

Even though its 29 degrees outside, I am sure to go for a ride today!

Re: Triumph Tiger 800 Road farkles

I just installed the barkbuster storm handguards and a madstad windshield on our new0-to us 2012 800ABS. Both are great additions. Zero wind behind the handguards. The windshield makes 80mph freeway speeds a pleasure.

Even though its 29 degrees outside, I am sure to go for a ride today!

Check out post # 2

ATGATT. Lee
" I never worry about getting lost.
I just change where I plan on going."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I thought I was the first to discover a questionable looking erector set supporting plexiglass actually works pretty well, albeit a bit shakily.

P.S. Got my Ohlins front end installed over the weekend. Even with the heaviest spring it is a bit soft so my shop is calling them on Monday to sort out what is going on.

For the first time since mid-November I had a day off when the weather was :pirate: weather. The Weather Guessers on TV were saying Tuesday would be a near perfect day so I decided to delay the work I was going to do on Jessica and head out on the highway. The day turned out as predicted . . . BEAUTIFUL Riding weather. So I pulled Jessica out of the garage,
a45b93411cab70fe7aa482d3f6952076.jpg

mounted the top box and headed out to see where I was going. All I knew was that I needed to fill the gas tank so I headed that way. From there, this is where Jessica took me.

http://goo.gl/maps/eSjPg

I was thinking to head north but went southwest and west to Montgomery where I turned north and head toward the forest. As I got on up the road a ways I decided to head over toward Outlaw Trax. Got to Forest Service Road 209 and headed thru the woods but decided not to turn off of 209 to go down to the property due to some normally deep sand I did not feel like dealing with. Popped back out on the highway I was on earlier so decided to run up to Richards. Once I rolled into Richards I decided to head over to Shiro to grab a quick bite to eat. Everyone talks about the burgers they serve at the Citgo Station so I decided that was my destination. Well the rumors of good burgers turns out to be correct, I will stop in there again.

I took a photo for another forum's Abandoned Gas Station thread from across the street at the Shiro Post Office.

390ba19d21bae15aea790990c6d19c76.jpg

f43c09b6f19ebcd22872735884e2ca7c.jpg

Picture taken so I head back toward the forest. Once I got down to the cut-off to the old club I decided to run by a exotic game ranch so I turned west to run deeper into and thru the western end of Sam Houston National Forest. As I was motoring down the road I realized I had not stopped for any photos other than the gas station.

I decided I had to stop and get some quick. So here are a couple from the forest road.

e8a9fd234d217f222c765fe0b81aecf8.jpg

9cbac16dfab94a33162a228c7041e28a.jpg

I got back aboard and headed out again for the exotic game ranches. Well one of them is not really an exotic game ranch, they just have 3 or 4 gorillas in the front pasture. As I roll up to the pasture I can see the gorillas but the sun is almost directly behind them and wouldn't make for a good photo. Maybe next time I'm in the area the sun will cooperate and I can get a photo of them. . . I know they will be in the same spot, they are always in the same spot since they are plastic or some other such material. Like I said, the ranch isn't really an exotic game ranch.

The next ranch really is an exotic game ranch. He raises non-native deer such as Axis and Sika and possibly a few others. I once saw what might have been Pronghorn Sheep but I didn't get a good look at them. Today, there was no livestock anywhere on the property that I could see, they must have been in one of the back pastures. Heck I didn't even see any of his cattle herd other than one young heifer they had in a squeeze chute for meds or weighing.

So with not getting the photos I really wanted I decided to head on toward the house but first thought I would get another photo of Jessica at the boat ramp down the road from my house.

514da25455f325cd0fa2b209169d4000.jpg

While I was there I grabbed some photos of a Yellow Lab that was enjoying the water and the weather.

b11e868a8d6fed49a68291dcd4899609.jpg

6f47de4f3252ea7ff449bec50c3c1e6f.jpg

863458a7b88b74492cc9b79ac275a431.jpg

92c88e8ebf1c516aaf5bc6254c5617ef.jpg

Well the Lab had a few more leaps and I talked to his owner for a little while before heading on to the house. I've got some video of the ride that I will see about getting edited and posted.

The ride was just what the doctor ordered. :mrgreen:

Back