• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Tiger 900 GT and Rally

Throwing this over here:

I had dinner last night with my Idaho Bdr buddies.

The guy that was in the 790, told me he is selling it to get a tiger 900 rally pro.

I asked why, because he loved the bike. He said he wanted something more street worthy. The long ride back to Salt Lake City he said was a beat down.
That's one of the big reasons I got rid of mine. He will dig the Rally Pro. Tell him to change the tires and get the suspension dialed in and it will compete with the 790 R off pavement while still being comfortable on the highway.

Throwing this over here:

That's one of the big reasons I got rid of mine. He will dig the Rally Pro. Tell him to change the tires and get the suspension dialed in and it will compete with the 790 R off pavement while still being comfortable on the highway.
It's all a compromise...you just have to figure out what matters to you.

I'd say the 790R competes with the Tiger on highway about as well as the Tiger competes with the 790R off road. Neither is nearly as good as the other but both can manage pretty well.

Both show they were made to be better at one than the other, and they definitely are a compromise, like the entire category.

Said another way....to me, a BMW GSA is a great 80/20 bike, the Tiger is a great 60/40 bike and a 790R is a great 40/60 bike.

Said another way....to me, a BMW GSA is a great 80/20 bike, the Tiger is a great 60/40 bike and a 790R is a great 40/60 bike.

That is my exact thought as well!

everything motorcycle related is a compromise. Except the Africa twin DCT is 100/100.... after a couple of thousand $ in upgrades and a butt made of iron LOL [emoji23]

Let’s talk about the best tire [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Let’s talk about the best tire [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Time will tell but the MotoZ Tractionator GPS rear with the Tractionator Adventure up front has my vote at present. Combo seems to have great traction off road and on road and others are reporting 6-8K miles out of a set so they seem to last ok.

I only have 1000 miles on them so far so as I said.....time will tell.

Time will tell but the MotoZ Tractionator GPS rear with the Tractionator Adventure up front has my vote at present. Combo seems to have great traction off road and on road and others are reporting 6-8K miles out of a set so they seem to last ok.

I only have 1000 miles on them so far so as I said.....time will tell.
I have 4000 on my rear GPS. It's got plenty it like left. I'll be buying it again. I paired it with a TKC80 front, but may try the Adventure next time.

I have 4000 on my rear GPS. It's got plenty it like left. I'll be buying it again. I paired it with a TKC80 front, but may try the Adventure next time.

Good to know. That is what I am hoping for.

On the front tires, the TKC will likely last longer and is probably better on street. The MotoZ Adventure is a bit more aggressive and better off road and especially in sand, mud or wet where the TKC isn't too great.

I plan to ride the 790R at least 50% on dirt and I typically wear a rear at 2X the front so I'm hoping they wear out about the same time.

But back to this thread.... both tires would be better than the OEM street tires on the Tiger 900 GT. :)

I'd say the 790R competes with the Tiger on highway about as well as the Tiger competes with the 790R off road. Neither is nearly as good as the other but both can manage pretty well.

Both show they were made to be better at one than the other, and they definitely are a compromise, like the entire category.

Gotcha, didn't realize you had already ridden the Tiger 900 Rally Pro off road to see what it can do.

Between Friday and Saturday I had the opportunity to ride my 850 and observe the 790S and a 2013 KTM 990 on single track. Nothing Colorado worthy, but actual dirt bike trails. I was surprised what the 850 did, shocked maybe. But the guy on the 990 rides regularly out there, big bikes aren't going little bike speeds but do fine. The 790 followed on 20 miles of all single track, dropped it twice. The 990 is a real machine, no nannies, probably would be fun. I have no idea how far suspension has come between the 790 and 990, all 3 did good. My 850 suspension definitely shined over my old 800. It was way too soft in front. 850 was adequate. I would need tires for sure. 790 and 990 had proper tires.

Last edited:
Don't let the pictures fool you, we didn't stop in tight sections, too busy. But bent around trees, sand whoops, and limbs banging both sides. Lol. I feel his Triumph would be equal or better than my 850.

Then again...I'm not sure you have really ridden anything hard enough for the difference to show so maybe it's not any different for you.
Have you? Has anyone? Maybe if Chris Birch could do a hard test with each bike, we could get a definitive answer. Til then, just speculation.

I guess that's kinda the point. There's a point where pretty much everyone will think, "a 500 lb bike is not the right tool for this particular job." They'll choose a different bike. And I suspect it is after that point where the differences in the two bikes start becoming really apparent.

I think for what 99% of what people use these bikes for off the pavement, either one will do the job just fine. That's what I was alluding to in my original post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you? Has anyone? Maybe if Chris Birch could do a hard test with each bike, we could get a definitive answer. Til then, just speculation.

I guess that's kinda the point. There's a point where pretty much everyone will think, "a 500 lb bike is not the right tool for this particular job." They'll choose a different bike. And I suspect it is after that point where the differences in the two bikes start becoming really apparent.

I think for what 99% of what people use these bikes for off the pavement, either one will do the job just fine. That's what I was alluding to in my original post.
I think for vast majority you're right. Heck, MacDaddy hustled that Tenere just fine and I doubt it's at the top of many lists. My shop doesn't even carry them anymore. I don't know the African Twin guys but they were 15 minutes behind Tony in. 3 mile section!

I won't do it because I like real dirt bikes too much, but after yesterday, I got to thinking. Sell the 300 and 850, get 790 and do it all! One maintenance. I'm not in a position like many of y'all for multiple bikes, 790 could cover it all.

I'm just saying a 790R is more capable off road. If you don't agree, that's ok. I may be having a harder time explaining it because you've never ridden anything hard enough that you couldn't make it on just about any ADV bike.

I hear what you're saying. I'd just put more stock in that opinion if you had ever ridden the Tiger 900 to compare is all.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone with the skills like Chris Birch will do a back to back test of the two and answer the question once and for all.

Actually I'm more interested which one us mortals are more comfortable on. I'm seen him ride the 1290, he's unreal.

But 790. 850, 900, or GS, they're all heavy and have to deal with that. Carefully, lol.

I think for vast majority you're right. Heck, MacDaddy hustled that Tenere just fine and I doubt it's at the top of many lists.
We're talking about mortals here ;)

Maybe we should let MacDaddy ride the 790 R and the Tiger 900 up a technical section and answer it for us.

Jarret we have all ridden part of the K Trail, and you have ridden both the 790 and 900 pro. What are your thoughts about each one riding the section of the K Trail we rode?

Jarret we have all ridden part of the K Trail, and you have ridden both the 790 and 900 pro. What are your thoughts about each one riding the section of the K Trail we rode?
I'd rather do it on the Tiger 900 Rally Pro, if I had the choice. It handles that stuff a bit easier for me.

I'd rather do it on the Tiger 900 Rally Pro, if I had the choice. It handles that stuff a bit easier for me.
Can you explain, I know might be hard to convey, but im curious.

Back