• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Troubleshooting Spot on Photo

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
I've finally gotten around to getting serious about sorting through the 1000's of shots from our summer trip out west. There is a problem with some of the shots and I'm hoping someone here can help me solve the problem

I think it is the vintage Canon lens we purchased in El Paso, but am not sure.

If you look at the photos you will see a "spot" on the right side. I zoomed in and circled the "defect" to make it easier to see.

I am wondering if there is a way in Lightroom or some other software to "blend" these away? I do not have Photoshop and really don't want to subscribe to Adobe's latest effort to part my hard earned money from my wallet.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sunset%20Defect%20Entire%201-M.jpg

Sunset%20Defect%20Cropped%201-M.jpg

Looks like a sensor spot to me, but could be a lens spot. Anyway the healing tool in LR usually does a good job with those. Make sure the tool is just a little larger than the spot and make sure it is set to healing, not clone.

Looks like a sensor spot to me, but could be a lens spot. Anyway the healing tool in LR usually does a good job with those. Make sure the tool is just a little larger than the spot and make sure it is set to healing, not clone.

Rusty has nailed it. Most likely dust or something on the sensor. It will only rear it's head when you're shooting at around f/8 or more closed down. If you're shooting wide open, you'll never see it. Lightroom can easily take it out with the healing brush. Just note that if you don't like the "replacement pixels" that LR has chosen for the replacement, you can move it to where you think will do a better job.

I concur with the above.... sensor dust most probably and the spot healing tool in LR will make that a five second fix.

Back