• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tubliss tire system

Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Shannon
Anyone try or have any experience with this ? Would it work on a dual sport or would it be impossible to balance for pavement use? Looks interesting and a lot less tubes and tools you would need to carry

c99772ff5dc79234c01774f835235bce.jpg

I have them on my Husky 501 and love them. You should invest in some heavy wheel weights to get the wheel assembly somewhat balanced or if I were to do it agai I would drill the new low pressure stem hole 180 degrees from the standard sized high pressure.

Do some you tubes you will see what I mean. But for me they have been flawless and with the lower pressures I can climb like an animal :)

What's this bologna about balancing tires [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is only a problem when I get close to Mach 1

I have them and wholeheartedly endorse them. Only problem is if you don't always do your own maintenance, most techs will whine about it. Worth putting up with that or installing them yourself in my opinion. If you carry an electric pump in your travel kit, be sure it can handle 100psi for the high pressure tube.

I’ve been mounting my own tires since cycle gear refused to mount tires on my gsa, then sold me the tools to do it myself. Go figure.

So is the life cycle of the tubliss worth the price (last more than one or two tires) or just the tremendous trail side convenience?

If it lasts longer than tubes, and you can just stick a plug in the tire, I'd say its worth a try.

I forgot to ask and you didn't say what bike are you wanting to try this with? These are not for adventure bike sized tires, they are more for dual sport sized tires. They cant handle the extreme widths and balancing becomes too much of a problem with the higher speeds.

On my twin i used a product called Outex that has worked perfect! This seems to be a good example of the install process. Have had it for two years now without any problems at all.

https://thetenerist.wordpress.com/2018/01/01/honda-africa-twin-outex-install/

I'd assume his klr or xrl. I think the gsa is tubeless

Last edited:
Correct ASPR, gsa has spokes but still tubeless. I’m thinking of trying it on the Xr650l since that bike will see the toughest rides I do.

What happens if you pop the tube inside the tire? While riding this past week in Arkansas with a guy that has a Ducati Scrambler, he picked up a nail that went through the tire and I think also popped/tore the deal inside that sealed the spokes. With no way to seal it, he ended up riding the bike on the flat tire for almost 40 miles! Fortunately, the tire had real stiff side walls and he was able to run about 35-40 mph once he got to pavement and it did not shred the tire or trash his rim. He's now wondering how he might prevent a similar problem in the future. I was thinking the same thing about the Tubliss system though...

Scott, Scott, Scott, you are such a positive guy, why focus on the negative :)

Yea, if you lose the high pressure tube in the middle it is just like ridding on a flat with half a rim lock. If the tire is stiff enough you can do several hundred miles on a flat. I have hundreds of desert racing miles with flat fronts or rears.

I used to carry a spare tube just case, but with the smaller bikes we never seem to be more than 60 miles from someplace, so I typically don't bother anymore. I do stock spare high pressure tubes in the trailer, just like I typically have spare tires.

Hey what did you find about the oil leak on your orange machine?

What happens if you pop the tube inside the tire? While riding this past week in Arkansas with a guy that has a Ducati Scrambler, he picked up a nail that went through the tire and I think also popped/tore the deal inside that sealed the spokes. With no way to seal it, he ended up riding the bike on the flat tire for almost 40 miles! Fortunately, the tire had real stiff side walls and he was able to run about 35-40 mph once he got to pavement and it did not shred the tire or trash his rim. He's now wondering how he might prevent a similar problem in the future. I was thinking the same thing about the Tubliss system though...

His experience made me think I might as well stick with tubes.

If the tubeless system fails, it seems like you have to carry a spare tube just in case anyway.

So not really any different than I do now.

Scott, Scott, Scott, you are such a positive guy, why focus on the negative :)

Yea, if you lose the high pressure tube in the middle it is just like ridding on a flat with half a rim lock. If the tire is stiff enough you can do several hundred miles on a flat. I have hundreds of desert racing miles with flat fronts or rears.

I used to carry a spare tube just case, but with the smaller bikes we never seem to be more than 60 miles from someplace, so I typically don't bother anymore. I do stock spare high pressure tubes in the trailer, just like I typically have spare tires.

Why not just use those foam core inserts for the 500? I would think that solves all the problems for a lot less than installing the Tubliss? Am I missing something?

Hey what did you find about the oil leak on your orange machine?

I've not had a chance to mess with it. Waiting for my garage renovations to be completed so I have a clean dry place to work on it.

His experience made me think I might as well stick with tubes.

If the tubeless system fails, it seems like you have to carry a spare tube just in case anyway.

So not really any different than I do now.

I guess if I were racing, where messing with a flat takes critical time, I might be more worried about it. However, in my years of riding dual sports on all manner of terrain, I've never really thought tubes were a serious problem. A repair typically takes all of 15 minutes tops if I am going slow and being careful. Since I don't do open desert racing and typically stick to dirt roads, even thorns have not been a real problem. The only real issue is the space and weight of packing spare tubes, pump, and tools. But even that has not been a problem, even on my KTM 530 EXC, which is not exactly a pack mule like a KLR 650. On a multi-day ride where I might be camping off the bike, I still carry a spare front and two spare rear tubes, as well as patches. If I am riding with someone I know, we might eliminate some stuff just so we are not carrying duplicates of everything.

It is the ability to run lower pressures without damage to the rim and no worry about pinch flats at lower pressure that is the benefit. Traction, traction, traction :)

Remember in Ouray, I could cruse up the super steep stuff without breaking traction.

Why not just use those foam core inserts for the 500? I would think that solves all the problems for a lot less than installing the Tubliss? Am I missing something?

I've not had a chance to mess with it. Waiting for my garage renovations to be completed so I have a clean dry place to work on it.
If you are referring to a mousse like Michelin offers, it is not recommended for road use and I doubt it would balance at all

Hmmm. Lotsa good opinions. I guess for the price I’ll have some time to think about them before the budget would allow anyways.

If you are referring to a mousse like Michelin offers, it is not recommended for road use and I doubt it would balance at all

They must work fairly well as they have been used by many of the top Dakar racers :shrug:

They must work fairly well as they have been used by many of the top Dakar racers :shrug:
Yes their great for off road racing applications where flats can cost you the win or cause serious injury. Michelin says they are speed rated up to 86 mph. Must replace every six months. non highway use.
I would think they would be the best option but with tires I want to "air" on the side of caution.

Spare tubes for if I feel ambitious, giant zipties for if I don't. :thumb:

I have tubliss on my son’s WR250R. The inner bladder on the front let go recently. It was down to about 75lbs. He tried to air it up to 110lbs. It didn’t make it. I have been curious about the system for sometime, but never spent the money. This bike had it when I bought it at this point I’m not sold. I definitely wouldn’t set off for a long ride without a tube.

Like Mike said I think the selling point is to able to run low air pressure and not get a pinch flat. I generally don’t air down below 15psi even on a dirt bike so this may be why I not sold. I’m going to stick with it on that bike to give it an honest chance.

Back