• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TUNICA HILLS, Miss.....These Hills don't have "Eyes"...They have "Gates"

Re: TUNICA HILLS, Miss.....These Hills don't have "Eyes"...They have "Gates"

Tim,

Sure am sorry to read about your get off (gate date). Hope feel better soon.

Gary,

Thanks for one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time. Makes me wish I went with you all :clap:

Yeah, I really like riding over there.:flip: The culture shock is a kick too. Nothing like touring backwoods Mississippi!:lol2: Talk about some broke down stuff! Glad everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.:thumb: Gary said he'd get started with day one this evening, so if anyones got any pics of Thursday that you didn't give to Gary, post'em up I'd sure like to see'em.:clap:

Also if someone has the entire tracks ridden on the overnight part, I'd like to get'em so I can touch up the route.

As far as myself....still very very sore, but I'm walking which seems to help. Each day is better than the one before, so that's good.:) Did I say that crap really hurt!:lol2:

"The culture shock is a kick too." Remember the stop at the church in Rodney, MS? During the 1840s, Rodney had the highest percentage of millionaires of any city/town in the United States and nearby Natchez had more (net) than New York City. In those days a million dollars was a nice piece of change.

One of the many great things about "ADV Riding" is that you meet new riders and see new places........That's exactly what happened here.......
Hope to see some of you at "TAR" and or Ricks "Arkansas Camp" ride in April

Guys,......I enjoyed riding with you, had a great time and hope to do it again real soon............It was a little bit of work, but I also enjoyed writing this crazy ride report.....Hope Ya'll got a laugh or two out of it..........
..........Doc

One of the many great things about "ADV Riding" is that you meet new riders and see new places........That's exactly what happened here.......

Guys,......I enjoyed riding with you, had a great time and hope to do it again real soon............It was a little bit of work, but I also enjoyed writing this crazy ride report.....Hope Ya'll got a laugh or two out of it..........
..........Doc

Gary you did a great job on the report thanks for taking the time. :clap:

Gary you did a great job on the report thanks for taking the time. :clap:

Well....I guess it was okay? Just kidding Gary...great job!

Btw, I've got some random pics of the trip that'll post tonite. I know there's still a bunch of good photos out there...so lets see'em!

I'm also combining the original routes with the tracks, and I'll re-post the cleaned up versions this weekend.

Excellent write up, Gary; had me laughing all the way through :clap: :lol2:. I guess I'll be seeing you quite a bit, as I'll be making both the TAR and the AR rides :thumb: April's gonna be a good month :rider:

Day One Pics.

HPIM1927-1.jpg

HPIM1932-1.jpg

HPIM1934-1.jpg

HPIM1941-1.jpg

19842002-1.jpg

HPIM1947-1.jpg

HPIM1949-1.jpg

HPIM1963-1.jpg

HPIM1962.jpg

Day Two Pics.

19682004-1.jpg

19722005.jpg

19732006.jpg

HPIM1954.jpg

HPIM1979-1.jpg

19741997.jpg

HPIM1978.jpg

Great Ride!:rider:

If the LA guys frequent here (or if any of you other fellers know), what kind of "cruise control" device were you guys using? I saw a couple bikes with a red, knurl type knob on the end of the bars. I need one.

If the LA guys frequent here (or if any of you other fellers know), what kind of "cruise control" device were you guys using? I saw a couple bikes with a red, knurl type knob on the end of the bars. I need one.

Here you go...

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/kaokothrottlecontrols.htm

They take about 5 minutes to install but they're proud of them...about a benjamin, but it's sure nice to be able to rest that right arm here and there.

When are we going to do this again?

Dirty

..........Doc

Great report, well worth the 4 day wait on getting it put out.

I had a blast meeting and riding with you and all the others.

I just finished getting the bikes cleaned and prepped and ready to go.

Wish I could make the TAR, but work has me on the list to work that week.

Tim,
Hope feel better soon.

Thanks Duke. My butt and the DRZ aren't very happy with my eyes and my brain right now.:lol2:

Poor DRZ!:tears:

HPIM1992-1.jpg

Good thing is I got some riding buddies who just happen to have some replacement stuff...Doctor Z, CeeBee, and OLDERMXER are helping me out in a huge way with some great part's deals.:thumb: Thanks y'all!!:clap:

I'm sure they are making these parts deals on the condition you are NOT TO RIDE POINT for a while!:rofl:

I sure wish I would have went on this one! I enjoyed reading Gary's RR almost as much as I would have enjoyed riding it!

GREAT REPORT !
Hillarious, except for the part about bashing the gate.

Enjoyed the pictures and narrative! What an adventure you guys had!

Here you go...

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/kaokothrottlecontrols.htm

They take about 5 minutes to install but they're proud of them...about a benjamin, but it's sure nice to be able to rest that right arm here and there.

When are we going to do this again?

Dirty

Thanks for the link. I'll have to call them to find out if it would work with my XR, but I'm a bit doubtful. Extended runs at 70mph with knobbies sure makes for a lot of vibration, and hand cramps, so I do need to find something. You guys make sure to drop us a note when you do any DS rides in your area; I'd love to come visit again.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to call them to find out if it would work with my XR, but I'm a bit doubtful. Extended runs at 70mph with knobbies sure makes for a lot of vibration, and hand cramps, so I do need to find something. You guys make sure to drop us a note when you do any DS rides in your area; I'd love to come visit again.

Rydah,
I've ridden a few 3,000 mile + trips on a Xr650R, running full knobbies, and am happy with the cheap little "spoon" that goes around the grip. The one that you put pressure on your wrist and it accelerates. When it gets rough, just rotate it out of the way. My description is a little lame, so I suppose i can send a pic if necessary.

Rydah,
I've ridden a few 3,000 mile + trips on a Xr650R, running full knobbies, and am happy with the cheap little "spoon" that goes around the grip. The one that you put pressure on your wrist and it accelerates. When it gets rough, just rotate it out of the way. My description is a little lame, so I suppose i can send a pic if necessary.

I've looked at those, but my hand already takes up the entire width of the grip. Seems like no matter how I try to rotate it out of the way, it would still interfere. Plus, I'd like something that basically locks so that I can remove my right hand altogether. Thanks for the suggestion though :thumb:

I've looked at those, but my hand already takes up the entire width of the grip. Seems like no matter how I try to rotate it out of the way, it would still interfere. Plus, I'd like something that basically locks so that I can remove my right hand altogether. Thanks for the suggestion though :thumb:

ThrottleMeister

coat hanger trick
remember I have a KLR

great pics and report!
one question, was there an age minimum for this trip?
Or was it just required to have grey hair? :rofl: :giveup:

I put one on my Renthal 7/8" alum. bars. You have to do a tiny amount of filing on the inside of the bars for it to fit in. I bought the one that is made for the KTM bikes that have alum. Fatbars

I sure wish I would have been there, I can tell you had a great bunch of people. Looks like great riding also.

Tim, sorry you crashed and glad to see you are ok!

See you all on the next ride. I am not making the TAR but I am going to Arkansas.

Have fun and ride safe everyone.

Calvin

A Wiring Nightmare.

So I been walking without hobbling for a few days now. It's time to turn some much needed attention to the DRZ. What a mess!:rolleyes: Yesterday I started removing all the broken stuff so I could get a good look at the wiring harness. There were loose wires hanging everywhere. Within an hour I had a tail light but still nothing to the motor. I studied the wiring diagram and soon realized the turn signal/kickstand relay must be connected to have ignition. Well crap.... mine is somewhere in pieces on a dirt road.:lol2: So a quick search on TT and I find a post where someone bypassed the relay. Crankity crank and pow!!:eek2: One big backfire and the DRZ motor purrs back to life! Talk about a sweet sound!:clap: It's purring away on the stand and I'm walking around it poking and touching stuff. Looks pretty road worthy to me except the bars.:trust: A quick trip to the front lawn with a pry bar, and I got 'em strait enough to ride.

We're off and it felt great getting the DRZ back where it belongs.... rolling.:flip: Quick ride around the block...all systems are go. So the shakedown is extended to a short ride on some nearby backroads. The main thing I noticed is the forks are completely trashed. Go figure!:scratch:....:lol2:. One tube is dinged really good, and the spring is binding inside.

I roll back up in the driveway and Brenda is standing there with a big grin on her face, but her arms are crossed....hmmm this could take some playing on my part.:cool2: Now she knows I'm happier than a kid with a brand new scooter.:lol2: Maybe she'll uncross her arms and cave in?:giveup: So I say,"told ya I'd get it running" and her reply is " so ya gonna start ordering parts?" Ooh yeah! It pays to have a great wife!!:clap:

HPIM2011.jpg

Most honorable mention. My brand new Acewell Speedo survived a direct hit. Very well made....I highly recommend them.:thumb:
HPIM2012.jpg

Glad to hear both you and the stead are rolling again.
Kinda has a Mad Max look to it

Back