• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twenty-three years ago today...

Valker

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Last Name
West
I bought this motorcycle 23 years ago today. It still moves my soul as well as my body. It has almost 195,000 miles on it right now. I’m still tickled with it and love riding it. It’s taken me as far as Alaska and through many other states.

Valk at 22.jpg

It’s nice when you find one that fits just right.

The Honda F6 may well be the all-time longevity champion of motos.
I'll see BMWs with over 100k but see Valks and 'wings with over 200k.

Here's to the next 23 years and 195k miles!

Incredible and impressive, on several levels. :thumb:
Any idea how much it has cost to keep the ole girl running? Maybe compared to initial purchase?
Good question. Breakage- two sets of wheel bearings have gone out. I've replaced more than that, but just for preventive maintenance. Nothing has broken other than that. I maintain it and change oil a lot. I figure I've spent about $14,000 on gasoline alone. I'm not too concerned with wearing it out. I have a friend who has 703,000 on his Valkyrie with no major issues.

Good question. Breakage- two sets of wheel bearings have gone out. I've replaced more than that, but just for preventive maintenance. Nothing has broken other than that. I maintain it and change oil a lot. I figure I've spent about $14,000 on gasoline alone. I'm not too concerned with wearing it out. I have a friend who has 703,000 on his Valkyrie with no major issues.
Fuel is not a factor in my mind, that's simply a function of smiles/mile. I was asking about all other dollars spent to keep her rolling vs initial cost. It wasn't a challenge and if you don't have the numbers no problem but, I get the impression she's been very cost efficient.

Fuel is not a factor in my mind, that's simply a function of smiles/mile. I was asking about all other dollars spent to keep her rolling vs initial cost. It wasn't a challenge and if you don't have the numbers no problem but, I get the impression she's been very cost efficient.
I’ll take a stab at it. Other than what I consider routine maintenance (routine to me means oil, gas, spark plugs, tires) I’ve spent about $100. Most of that was fixing wheel bearings that went out while in a trip. The six carbs have never needed anything. The valves have never needed adjustment. I’ve added lights, but I don’t count that.

I bought a used bike for $1,800 and put 25,000 miles on it, including about 25 track days. I sold it three years later for $1,500 and one of my young shop mechanics said, "Boy, you sure lost a lot of money on that bike." He included my $300 depreciation as well as fuel and the cost of tires I wore out on the track. 200K is something to be proud of.

Back